Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eu2000i muffler cleaning ideas?

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
Its $135 for a new one.

Mine is completely blocked. If you blow on it, nothing goes through.

Any ideas?

What is the internal structure of these things?
Is it just a cavity or is there like a zig-zag path?
20 REPLIES 20

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
It's on page 55 in my owners manual.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Soak the muffler in carburetor cleaner, you can find carburetor cleaner in a gallon dip/soak can with basket. Most auto parts stores have it. When done soaking, you rinse off with water.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is an easy job. Follow these instructions HERE.

Note that in the manual it says to clean the spark arrester every 100 hours or 6 months.
I bet no one does it, I know I don't. I do mine every so often when I think about it and that is usually way over 2-300 hours.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Most small engine mufflers are not designed to be taken apart, they are usually just welded together - or even just press fit together.

Mufflers interiors can be a variety of styles, from "maze like" to baffles to just an expansion chamber.

Do you think it was / is a mouse nest? That is not uncommon in a stored generator.

Have you tried a simple piece of wire with the end turned into a small hook? Clothes hangers work great. Many times you can get most of the material out, the rest will "burn off" - make sure you run the generator in a safe area for a long time in case anything catches on fire (temporarily, we hope!).

If it is carbon build up, that is difficult to get out if it is not near the inlet or outlet.

If you are lucky, the carbon buildup may just be at or near the outlet, especially if there is a "spark arrestor" screen - simply scraping that clean may work.

If a part / baffle inside the muffler has been damaged, usually rusted, and is blocking the exhaust, the muffler needs to be replaced.

Many times in the process of "cleaning out" a muffler, it will be damaged to the point of needing replacement anyways. If it isn't working now, you may as well try to clean it, even if in the process it gets damaged more.

Good luck - lol, maybe $135 is worth it after all.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
There are carbon solvents made for cleaning guns, automotive use, cookware, etc.

If you don’t want to buy one specific for your job, I would remove the muffler from the engine and try some oven cleaner on it.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

FredandKaren
Explorer
Explorer
Cleaning the spark arrestor.
Here’s the only thing I could find and it’s a video on how to clean your spark arrestor, which requires removing the muffler from the generator.
Fred & Karen Kennedy
2004 Terry Dakota 830Y
2004 Dodge 2500 SLT
"Don't be afraid that your life will end,
be afraid that it will never begin."