cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Excellent video on brake repacking

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK I stumbled on this video and this guy has the most comprehensive trailer drum brake repacking video that I have ever seen. I learned a lot from watching this and only wish that I had seen it before I did all four wheels earlier this year. He even shows a tool that allows you to set the brakes from the inside: Brake Setting Gauge

Anyway take a look at this, I see he has an earlier vidio on redoing the suspension too that I have not watched yet.
RV Living Yet
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
22 REPLIES 22

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
MFL wrote:
I use that bearing packing tool that Old-Biscuit has pictured. It works really well, gets a nice even solid pack, and forces out any old grease, that may have been missed.

Jerry

It works well but i always clean out the old grease first

I know you do! Like me, you are a fussy guy, that goes the distance to do things right. ๐Ÿ™‚

By saying, old grease, that may not have been removed properly, I'm taking about the 98% of people doing these simple tasks. That tool will force out contaminates they left behind.

Jerry

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Dang Old Biscuit, that thing is affordable. Just ordered one on amazon.
๐Ÿ˜‰

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
I use that bearing packing tool that Old-Biscuit has pictured. It works really well, gets a nice even solid pack, and forces out any old grease, that may have been missed.

Jerry

I have had the similar unit for around 35 years. It works well but i always clean out the old grease first
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
With a tolerance of .015" on the brake drum runout, I don't want the self adjusting brakes. If you are lucky and get good drums, they may work, if you are not so lucky and the drums are near maximum tolerance, they will never adjust properly.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The only time I ever use the grease fitting is during the spindle cleaning. That grease passage will collect dirt and solvent during the cleaning process and needs to be flushed.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Wearing only one glove.... what's the point! LOL

I've never seen those brake show gauges. With his brakes being "self adjusting", that tool wasn't necessary. When I installed self adjusting brakes on my cargo trailer last year, I used the adjuster wheel to dial them in a little bit then left the self adjusting function to do its job to get all 4 brakes set appropriately.

Video: DEXTER NEV-R-ADJUST Trailer Brakes and How They Work

I use a much larger piece of cardboard to contain my mess and keep it off the concrete driveway I do these projects on.

A better video on bearing repacking.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I agree, he put way too much grease on the spindle, and the seal will push it off in that area.

I think he was trying to demonstrate how to turn the wheel, when using the grease gun on the EZ lube. However, after doing a proper hand greasing, there is no need to add more through the zerk. You should be good for several years, before any further greasing, if no brake symptoms occur, requiring hub removal.

Jerry

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
The only issue I have he put way more grease on the spindle than needed and in particular the seal surface on the spindle. With the amount he used there will be grease pushed into the brake shoe area as the seal goes over the spindle and seal area. This grease will then fall into the brake area and contaminate the brake shoes.

A very light film of grease is all that is needed and a very light grease or oil on the seal surface. I have always used a very light film of motor oil on my grease seal both the seal area and the outer rim so the seal will not gall when pressing into the hub.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
That was really bad i would advise anyone skeptical about mechanical stuff and greasing bearings to find a different video.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I thought his small cardboard box scheme was lame...

In the SE garages mainly occur in these new mini-mansion subdivisions. Most folks living out on acreage don't have one tho some have a pole barn. And pole barns often have dirt floors.
Superbumper

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
My comment on the environment was about the leaves and grass. You use a large piece of cardboard and that works also.
Yes I have a garage, in fact I have two, the house garage and my shop which is 32'X 36'. That's where I keep my hot rods. But I don't have covered storage for the 5er

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess a garage is required up there in the frozen north, not so down here in the southern states.
Superbumper

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
hornet28 wrote:
I sure wouldn't be doing that job in that environment, I'd be working on concrete

Well some of us don't have a concrete pad, you know Rural America? I do use a much larger piece of cardboard under the wheel tho.

Yes I know rural America. I live in it on 15 acres of woods. Before this I lived on a farm on a gravel road I do work like that on the concrete apron of the garage

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
That was not a castle nut.
You don't clean old grease out with new grease, you clean the bearing.
The silly brake shoe gauge was not used properly, not even close.
If the brakes needed that much adjustment the self adjuster mechanism wasn't working, many don't.
You should apply some grease to the grease seal.
The bearings should be seated while spinning the drum.
1/4 turn is nonsense, back off till loose.
Adjust the nut in till it just removes the play when using that type of retainer. Bearings are to have a very small amount of clearance and that retainer is sloppy enough to allow that to happen.