Ford Electric F-150

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi All,

Being released tomorrow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifqYWtDw0sg
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
23 REPLIES 23

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
time2roll wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Lithim Titinate would work, too.
same energy density and cost? I doubt it.

I expect all options were considered and the chosen format works best.

Who mentioned cost? I thought this was about possibilities, or best solutions.

LiT was where Solid state is right now when Ford decided to design this.

If I am well enough, in 2024 when my car tires age out, I may purchase a demo BEV or a trade in (from someone who didn't like BEV).
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
A lot of PR baloney along with a dog and pony show. They will have there place as a grocery getter and short day tripper. I'll wait until I see the meat and potatoes! Another thing that has come to the forefront on charging. The folks that live in condo complexes may have big trouble getting a charge receptacle installed, this has already been a problem in Las Vegas, NV. Of course they thought while at home, plug in and in the AM it will be ready to go. Instead they are out on the open market sitting and plugged in.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
same energy density and cost? I doubt it.

I expect all options were considered and the chosen format works best.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lynnmor wrote:
Do you folks have a clue how an electric vehicle works? Totally different drive system that will not work as a toad unless considerable changes were made.

In theory, it should be pretty simple.

Unlike ICE, they often omit the transmission as electric motors can spin in either direction and can produce peak torque over the entire range of RPM.

Most 4 down towing issues come downstream of the crankshaft and the electric drivetrains eliminate most of those components.

It should be a simple programing thing to have the motors offset any extra drag.

Of course the devil is in the details and they face a huge marketing hurdle, so they aren't going to want to risk any bad press if they miss something or an owner doesn't follow directions.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
JoeH wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
JoeH wrote:
They don't say if it's flat/four down towable. I'd be interested if it was.... I looked into the Tesla Cybertruck and they told me it wasn't going to be 4 down towable to that wasn't an option. .

It is done...but rarely. Most people with a full size truck use it as a tow vehicle.

I've been using F250's and F150's for a toad behind my coach for over 20 yrs --- also a Ranger and tracker--- all 4x4's . Since the toad is used for excursions from the campground, and EV would be a candidate. I also put a motorcycle in the back along with bicycles and kayaks on a rack, thus the reason for having a truck.

As I said...it is done.

But if you watch going down the road, it's an oddity to use a full size truck as a toad. When companies are looking at this, they aren't looking to address the outlier...it's not worth their trouble.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
3 tons wrote:
Well, Iโ€™m gonna go out here on a limb here and assume that itโ€™s batteries are Lithium - lol ๐Ÿ™‚

3 tons

Too bad it won't be solid state. I understand the cars and other Bev's do have to have heaters for winter time use.

Iirc the leaf may last about a week in cold cold weather.

Regards, Don

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
Do you folks have a clue how an electric vehicle works? Totally different drive system that will not work as a toad unless considerable changes were made.
I, for one, only know that they use a storage battery, controller, and electric motors. I don't know all the details, but I do know they can coast, not under power, and some have regenerative braking. I also know that some electric motors can freewheel. That's just about it. I thought the question about 4-down towing was a reasonable question. But I must bow to the "expert". ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Well, Iโ€™m gonna go out here on a limb here and assume that itโ€™s batteries are Lithium - lol ๐Ÿ™‚

3 tons

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
JoeH wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
JoeH wrote:
They don't say if it's flat/four down towable. I'd be interested if it was.... I looked into the Tesla Cybertruck and they told me it wasn't going to be 4 down towable to that wasn't an option. .

It is done...but rarely. Most people with a full size truck use it as a tow vehicle.

I've been using F250's and F150's for a toad behind my coach for over 20 yrs --- also a Ranger and tracker--- all 4x4's . Since the toad is used for excursions from the campground, and EV would be a candidate. I also put a motorcycle in the back along with bicycles and kayaks on a rack, thus the reason for having a truck.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
JoeH wrote:

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
JoeH wrote:

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Unless the wheels can be 'disengaged' from the drive system, it wouldn't seem possible without damaging the drive system. Maybe in time, but I'm not aware of any EV currently in production that can be flat towed.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
The current F150 starts under $30,000. Bringing a whole new meaning to the term โ€œgoing greenโ€
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel