cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fresh Water Hookup Pressure Reducer

fullmoonoversal
Explorer
Explorer
I saw a video about hooking up to fresh water where the person had a pressure reducer with a gauge. Anyone know where these can be found?
2017 Coachmen Galleria
13 REPLIES 13

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
fullmoonoversalem wrote:
Thanks for your replies. Hopefully we will not be needing it in weather where it will freeze. We would dry camp in those temps.

THe campground I usually winter at YOU NEED a regulator. Well they (one year at least) hit the lines with way too much Chlorine and even a month later I could taste it.. So I got the bright idea to fill the on board and let it sit for a few minutes... BIG IMPROVEMENT!!!

And I"ve done it that way ever since.

THe parks I summer at.. Well one the water is rather "Gritty" due to a lot of sand in it. So I only use water from the other park. Same plan. Fill up when I pull in, and when I leave. THe only "Fly" in this is when I next fill... It will be SC water not MI water. So I may have a few days of... Rapid Travel.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
VoodooMedicineMan wrote:
I bought one of these. Works fine.

Personally would spent the few extra bucks for "QUALITY" Watts PR.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
I bought one of these. Works fine.
Bill and Joey the dog

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I got my Watts adjustable from Lowes. Check for 3/4 pass thru for good flow.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I will talk about 4 different Reducer products here
Small 3/4 inch (About) Cylinders (1) (Standard) JUNK
Small 3/4 Inch (about) Cylinders (2) With wings or colored plastic grips on the female end (high flow) Junk
Valterra adjustable (with or w/o gauge) supposed to be good. I have never tested
SUR FLO (A Watts corporation) Standard on many RV's I give it a 9 on a scale of 10
Watts or Zurin "Whole house" mine are both 3/4 inch NOTE this is when new.

I hooked up my zurin and the up-side pressore was 100 PSI or more. adjusted to 50 PSI. STATIC. then I opened a shower FULL FLOW and that needle acted like it was welded to the 50 mark. Same for Watts when new. over a decade the rubber inside the thing gets stiff and you need to rebuild it

These units have a bell shaped upper housing .. The bolt that would hold a real bell to the yoke.. That is the pressure adjustment. About 60 bucks with hose adapters. NONE BETTER.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

fullmoonoversal
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your replies. Hopefully we will not be needing it in weather where it will freeze. We would dry camp in those temps.
2017 Coachmen Galleria

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
STBRetired wrote:
Another vote for the Watts. If potential for freezing, I put it inside the wet bay (heated) and risk losing the heated hose to excess pressure...

when we purchased our current MH in 2015 we made a ton of custom changes including the fresh water delivery system. we added a power hose reel permanently connected the 25' of hose to the internal plumbing. all i need do now is pull out enough hose to connect to the hose bib (we carry an extra 25'). we also mounted two Watts devices in the wet bay. the first is just a simple pressure gauge to show the unregulated inbound water pressure and a stainless steel oil filled adjustable pressure regulator.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rk911 wrote:
but the cheap ones donโ€™t reduce the pressure, just the flow. do yourself a favor and buy a quality Watts water pressure regulator. check your favorite home improvement store ir online at The RV Water Filter Store.

Yup! And while there buy some QUALITY water hoses that will never need replacing. They coil in cold weather easily.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the Watts. If potential for freezing, I put it inside the wet bay (heated) and risk losing the heated hose to excess pressure. Has not happened so far. Had a Valterra regulator with gauge before. Does regulate pressure but restricts flow more that the Watts does.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I learned the hard way that the expensive Watts regulators and their gauges can be damaged if it is left out in freezing weather. Even though I disconnected mine and just left it outside it ruined the gauge.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
but the cheap ones donโ€™t reduce the pressure, just the flow. do yourself a favor and buy a quality Watts water pressure regulator. check your favorite home improvement store ir online at The RV Water Filter Store.

I do agree that a quality regulator like the Watts series is the best choice, but I'll also note that the "cheap ones" like the Camco barrel regulators, do indeed regulate the pressure properly. I've tested several of them using before and after gauges, and while they may not be as accurate as a Watts, they do get the job done they're supposed to do. If they simply reduced flow, there would be all sorts of complaints about them since the pressure would still reach the incoming line pressure when there was no flow, possibly blowing out fittings or hoses.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Amazon, Camping World, virtually any RV dealer
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900