cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fridge

MKDSK
Explorer
Explorer
How long should it take for a camper refrigerator in a Fun Finder travel trailer take to get cold when plugged in?
20 REPLIES 20

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
trb46 wrote:
You didnโ€™t mention the brand, but it takes the one in our motor home about six hours to get cold enough for refrigerated food; takes the freezer a bit longer.

1. Freezer ALWAYS gets cold FIRST
2. 24 hours is the time to run an RV refer before installing food. AND, do NOT install warm food, install precooled food. If you install room temp food, the refer will just warm up and then have to remove the heat from the warm items, which will take another 24 hours or so. Doug

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good to hear. Hope you get your asking price.

MKDSK
Explorer
Explorer
Well after everything the fridge and freezer are working properly. Now I hope to sell it for the $4300 I am asking for it..

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
MKDSK wrote:
trb46 wrote:
You didnโ€™t mention the brand, but it takes the one in our motor home about six hours to get cold enough for refrigerated food; takes the freezer a bit longer.

I have the camper plugged in now and the I can feel the freezer getting cold. Would that probably get cold first since it such a small freezer?

Yes, freezer always gets colder first.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
MKDSK wrote:
Boon Docker wrote:
The average cost for a single door absorption fridge installed is between $1200-$1500. You can buy a cooling unit and install yourself for around $500-$600.

cooling unit??

Cooling Unit

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
What Coolmom said. Give it more time, preferably 10-12 hours.

I would not recommend installing 110V residential compressor fridge unless you are on hookups most of the time or can enjoy/tolerate generator running for several hours. Or if your trips are 1-2 days long, i.e. using fridge like a cooler.

Like others said, - post the fridge brand and model, it will be easier to suggest troubleshooting then.

MKDSK
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
The average cost for a single door absorption fridge installed is between $1200-$1500. You can buy a cooling unit and install yourself for around $500-$600.

cooling unit??

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II

MKDSK
Explorer
Explorer
trb46 wrote:

I have the camper plugged in now and the I can feel the freezer getting cold. Would that probably get cold first since it such a small freezer?

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Don't assume the refrigerator is bad.

1) Allow up to 24 hours for it to cool down in very hot weather. Keep the door closed during this time.
2) Only load it with pre-chilled food AFTER it's cooled down.

If it still doesn't work, check that it has 12V going to the control board. If not, fix that.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

MKDSK
Explorer
Explorer
ereed52 wrote:
Click Here:
Dometic Refrigerator Manual

I have the manual I want to know the cost to replace it.

ereed52
Explorer
Explorer

MKDSK
Explorer
Explorer
I would just replace it with the same one that is in there now. It is a Dometic/Americana one. What are the costs of those?

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
jetboater454 wrote:
Also consider if you have to replace fridge,get a regular fridge that will fit the hole. Cost of rv fridge can run $1000 while a household is around $250. It just depends where and how you camp.

Never seen a res fridge for 250 bucks unless it was used.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB