cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

??? Full Body RV Re-Paint Job, 15 yrs old, its time ???

BobnSofi
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

It's about time to get a full body re-paint job done on our large 2005 class A.

Over the years I have read about getting a full body Re-Paint done in Mexico.

It would also stand to reason that getting a full body re-paint job done in a state like Texas or Florida would be a wise choice, as Texas and Florida seem to be have the most activity in high end RV sales.

Of course it would also seem to reason that selecting a paint shop that would accommodate our comfortably staying in our rv during this lengthy experience would be a wise choice.

So... those of you with direct knowledge on this topic... youall with direct knowledge that have experience with repainting a full body rv paint job...

???

!!! thanks in advance !!!
11 REPLIES 11

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
About 20 years ago I had a partial paint job done in Mexico. Great work, reasonable price, very happy.

15 or so years ago I had a full paint of a bus conversion done. I did all the prep work and had it painted at Maaco. Many will look done their nose at a Maaco paint job. However they had a large enough paint booth and the painter had 30 years experience, was an artist with a paint gun and could paint complicated pieces of equipment with no runs!

I upgraded from their standard paint to a high quality paint and the job cost me $4000!! I sold the RV after about 10 years, the paint still looked good and stayed in touch with the buyer, paint was still good last time I talked to him.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:
Look at a wrap instead of painting.

Interesting suggestion
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

KangaBunnyRoux
Explorer
Explorer
Wraps at 5k to 6K sound much better compared to 25K paint jobs. Honestly would a good detailer be able to buff out, polish, seal and rewax for about 3K? Maybe even $1500? I'm betting so. If you waxed each year and did not have defective paint to start with...I'm betting you could rejuvenate what you have and be much happier. Unless you have loads of money to throw away. More bang for the buck on the rub and polish.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Look at a wrap instead of painting.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
I had mine done in Oregon. Expensive at $25K but it is actually better than factory paint. Everything was removed from the coach, not taped around and that adds labor. Plus no sales tax in OR.
You can go cheaper if you are doing decals over paint

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sine you don't mention the year and type of RV that you own it's nearly impossible to answer your question. If you own a Prevost, you will be VERY disappointed with a paint job in Mexico. If you own a high end RV that has a factory paint job you will only be very disappointed with a paint job in Mexico. If you have a fiberglass coach you can get an acceptable paint job in Mexico but your wife (or husband) might never let you live it down. A good paint job on an RV is going to cost at least $10,000 and a really good one is going to cost $15,000+. What is your goal, what's your coach, what makes you think you need you need a paint job?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œFresh wax job adds MPGโ€ Micro miles per gallon.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well at 15 years a semi did just enough damage... almost to the dollar. that my insurance company said "Totaled". So I now live in an apartment (Frankly I was considering the move prior to the accident so it may have been best, medical reasons)

I washed and waxed every spring and fall just prior to my 800-1000 depending on the route migration (Fresh wax job adds MPG) and other than areas of damage it still looked dang near new....

I have heard good things about some of the Mexican re-painters..

And once had a car painted by what was supposed to be a first class auto body shop .. Even Shieb did a better job .
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
gbopp wrote:
I can't remember the last time I saw an Earl Scheib paint shop.
I do remember their ads for a $29.99 paint job.

Schieb company seems to have been in business up to 2000 or so..

HERE

Did see some ads dated 2006 on YouTbe.

But the cold hard reality is if your giant motor home is valuable enough to care about what the paint looks like for another 15 yrs you are going to pay a good deal for the labor for the prep and taping along with the cost of the materials like sandpaper, tape and masking materials along with a good quality paint..

Labor is not cheap, good quality labor is expensive and good quality paint now days is not only an arm and leg but first born and even your favorite dog cost..

Last time I played with automotive grade paint 10 yrs ago it was $250 per gallon just for the paint, catylist and thinners added in another $100 per gallon..

Otherwise, break of the rollers and paint brushes.

I am sure you could find some bargain places but as I mentioned, I would recommend asking to see some finish customer examples..

Removing a botched paint job from a motorhome the size of a tour bus will be expensive..

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I can't remember the last time I saw an Earl Scheib paint shop.
I do remember their ads for a $29.99 paint job.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a Cousin that was proud as a peacock about their $495 repaint of their car..

Yeah, it did look sort of shiny and it did have some color, but the orange peal and overspray was everywhere.. Even the engine had changed colors..

Paint jobs are only as good as the prep work done before painting..

Prepwork like sanding out imperfections and masking/taping takes considerable amount of time to do properly.. If you want a "Earl Shibe/Maaco" type paint job that is a 50 footer that is up to you..

Since you are in CA, most likely could get a better price in any other State if you shopped around a bit.. But I would insist on seeing some of the shops customer work before committing..