cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GAF Roof Coating at Lowes any good??

JRoberts37015
Explorer
Explorer
Excuse my ignorance but I recently bought a used camper and want to coat the roof with a white rubberized coat. I see many brands but right now Lowes has the GAF brand. The roof was redone this past Nov by roofer that the previous owner paid to do and make some roof repair due to water damage and the rubber sheet he put down I believe is black EPDM. Being black it really hot in there and I'm trying to finish out some of the water damage inside. So I'd like to get a white on the top. Any input on that GAF brand?
10 REPLIES 10

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Heng's. I even use it on the house.

Black RV roof? Not the best idea.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
And yet another vote for Hengs!
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
Another vote for Tropicool from Home Depot.

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
On mine I used Henry's Tropicool that some Home Depots carry. I really like it.
Brian

JRoberts37015
Explorer
Explorer
OK. Thanks guys.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you look at a cross section of the EPDM roof most of the rubber is black. The top is .030 is white, Once the top coat of white sloughs off you will see the black rubber underneath.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Heng's Rubber Roof Coating. It goes on easily and does not need a primer.
I used 2 1/2 gallons to coat 30' of roof with two light coats.

I also know nothing about GAF.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I use Hengs. Works well. Trying to remember if Iโ€™ve ever seen a black RV Roof.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
if possible I would suggest removal of the old, and replacement with new. The use by a roofer with an elsatomeric black coating would scare me.
There may be problems you have not yet realized.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy Hengs roof coating, works great. Goes on easy. I don't know anything about the GAF product.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper