cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator dB rating

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
Is there anywhere that shows a comparison of the quietest generators and their dB rating? I want Honda quiet, but not with Honda money.
47 REPLIES 47

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
As I posted earlier most db rating are at X number of feet from the source. I think the Honda's are rated like at 25 feet, the Champion rating might be at say 50 feet.

Which is why I was looking for a comparison of them from some unbiased source.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
As I posted earlier most db rating are at X number of feet from the source. I think the Honda's are rated like at 25 feet, the Champion rating might be at say 50 feet.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
PatJ wrote:

Honda 2000 - 57db
Champion 2000- 53 db

How can the Honda be quieter with a higher db rating?

I own a pair of Honda 2000s. My sister owns a pair of Champions. The Champions are great but no contest, the Hondas are quieter. Quieter at idle, quieter at mid load, quieter at full load. Quieter by far and noticeable. My Hondas are 15 years old and have around 500 hours on them. Anyone that says they are close in volume to the Champions is lying or deaf (in my opinion.) Again nothing against the Champions because they seem to be very reliable and good bang for the buck, but they are not quieter or even as quiet or even close to the Hondas.

That depends on how deaf the owner is. I don't believe folks go out of their way to lie. They do have a right to an opinion.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Yup. Theyโ€™re just as good as Hondas until you understand that they arenโ€™t.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

PatJ
Explorer II
Explorer II

Honda 2000 - 57db
Champion 2000- 53 db

How can the Honda be quieter with a higher db rating?

I own a pair of Honda 2000s. My sister owns a pair of Champions. The Champions are great but no contest, the Hondas are quieter. Quieter at idle, quieter at mid load, quieter at full load. Quieter by far and noticeable. My Hondas are 15 years old and have around 500 hours on them. Anyone that says they are close in volume to the Champions is lying or deaf (in my opinion.) Again nothing against the Champions because they seem to be very reliable and good bang for the buck, but they are not quieter or even as quiet or even close to the Hondas.
Patrick

PatJ
Explorer II
Explorer II
duplicate
Patrick

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
In early 2018, I bought a Champion 3100/2800 gas only inverter generator. It's done a good enough job, though not as quiet as a Honda. This year I got tired of dealing with having gas around, especially the storage of it on the road, and found a great deal on the Champion 2500 dual fuel. So I just bought 2 of them along with a parallel kit. Weight was a factor also: 37 lbs vs 95 lbs. I intend to only use propane. They were $399 each and probably would only need the second one for A/C.
They are still in the boxes, will try them out soon.
I hope that they are quieter than the 3100
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
cptqueeg

105 is without fuel and oil. My Yamaha is about 155 lbs. I built a box where the lid and side double as a ramp.

I know weight may or may not be a critical issue depending on setup.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
cptqueeg

105 is without fuel and oil. My Yamaha is about 155 lbs. I built a box where the lid and side double as a ramp.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
nickthehunter wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:
nickthehunter wrote:
You asked for input, rejected all the input, just go buy the Honda.

What he wants will be too heavy no matter what color it's painted.

Thatโ€™s an interesting comment - I would say itโ€™s a matter of perspective.
I have a 4500W+ generator, itโ€™s not to heavy for me, may be for you, thatโ€™s where perspective comes in. Each of us have our own perspective.

I think we have a case where there will never any happiness so I pointed out what I thought the next objection might be once we got price and sound issues resolved. Hence the wink.

I think we're talking 105 lbs so I know that would be too much for some.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
cptqueeg wrote:
nickthehunter wrote:

What he wants will be too heavy no matter what color it's painted.

Thatโ€™s an interesting comment - I would say itโ€™s a matter of perspective.
I have a 4500W+ generator, itโ€™s not to heavy for me, may be for you, thatโ€™s where perspective comes in. Each of us have our own perspective.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
nickthehunter wrote:

What he wants will be too heavy no matter what color it's painted. :W

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
swimmer_spe wrote:
Boon Docker wrote:
Heres one at Canadian Tire.

That is close to Honda pricing....

No where near close.

The Honda 3200 watt is $3200.
The Champion 5500 watt is $1300.