Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator issue

marty1300
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE
found the issue I believe, there is a compartment next to the generator and inside there is a junction box. Stranded wires from the generator are wire nutted to solid wire going to outlet in the rearmost compartment where the shore cable is. These wires were burnt, looks like the neutral . Will need to get them reconnected when I get home

Class c with onan 4K generator. Last night had air conditioner on and using microwave. We have done this before no issues. For some reason microwave stopped, then Air conditioner. Break on generator is not tripped, but I was not getting sufficient power. We use a manual transfer(move cord from shore to plug for gen). When I plug in my small portable generator to the shore cord I get power back to rv. Seems the issue is with generator wiring.? Any advice on what to look at. I did measure 120 volts on the black and ground on the back of the outlet when generator was on. Could not get a reading when on the white wire.
Marty
Marty
19 REPLIES 19

marty1300
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
Marty,

Thank you for posting the update.

When you do get it repaired correctly, please tell us.

Matt

Matt,
I was able to get it fixed at the track. I had some lever-lock connectors I had used in the trailer. I cut the burned section out and reconnecected with these. I did some research and these were recommended over wire nuts especially when combining stranded and solid wire.
Marty

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Marty,

Thank you for posting the update.

When you do get it repaired correctly, please tell us.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

marty1300
Explorer
Explorer
See my update above
Marty

marty1300
Explorer
Explorer
I will try to answer these suggtions/ comments
In orlando fl so sea level
The air conditioner and microwave were the boy 2 items , we have done this before.
Inverter might have been on
Water was not on
4kw gen
I will re check the breaker
Marty

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
The breaker that is really easy to flip is possibly tripped. Flip it to off and push fairly hard in the off direction. If the breaker has a springy feeling in the off direction you need to push harder until is gets through the springy feeling and resets.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
marty1300 wrote:
Update-when checking black/ground I have 122, black/white 122, white/ground nothing notable

That.... Is as it should
Black is hot
White is "Neutral" and in your case bonded to Ground.

NOW How big is that genny>

AC is around 1500 Watts or more
Microwave 700-1100 generally
Fridge 350 give or take
Water heater 1500 (unless you do the Fred mod then 1/4 that)

CONVERTER up to about 10 amps... 1100 watts)

NOTE that Fridge water heater and such are WATTS
Microwave, AC and Converter are VOLT AMPS which may be higher.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œI will note it moves very easily. Not much resistance like the regular breaker.โ€ Danger, Will Robinson.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any chance the electric water heater element cycled on? 1440 watts

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Could it be that you're at high altitude?

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Don't "flip" breakers. To properly reset a breaker, move handle toward off applying light pressure toward off, then turn breaker on.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

marty1300
Explorer
Explorer
What really stumps me is the portable generator is suppling power no problem, while not enough to run the microwave or Air conditioner

2019 sunseeker so the generator is not too old, has about 322 hours on it

Sorry for delay response , trying to race a car also
Thanks for any advice
Marty
Marty

marty1300
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
ALWAYS reset the Genset Breaker. Do not trust a visual look. Reset it and post back. Doug

I did flip it forward and back. I will note it moves very easily. Not much resistance like the regular breaker
Marty

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
marty1300 wrote:
Update-when checking black/ground I have 122, black/white 122, white/ground nothing notable

This is normal. Black/white SHOULD have voltage, black/ground SHOULD have voltage, white/ground should NOT have voltage. While 122 MAY be a little low, it is not low enough to be of concern.

dougrainer wrote:
ALWAYS reset the Genset Breaker. Do not trust a visual look. Reset it and post back. Doug

Pay attention to anything that Doug says. He has been an RV repair technician for over 40 years.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Gary45
Explorer
Explorer
What year is the generator? The unloaded voltage should be higher. Do you have a frequency setting on your meter to check frequency? The newer gennys have electronic voltage control, I have one from the 80's, transformer voltage control, when unloaded it puts out around 130 volts and around 62 cycles, when I turn AC on the genny rpm drops a bit and then revs up to carry the load. You can measure the volts and frequency at any outlet inside the motorhome. Neutral, white wire, to ground should be 0.