cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator operation

Cherguin
Explorer III
Explorer III

We are new to camping on wheels so forgive the ignorance of my question. When dry camping away from any neighbors, how long is to long to continuously run the generator in a class A gas MH with  a 5500 Onan?  For example,  let’s say we are on public land out west in 100 degree days and 80 degree summer nights and need AC around the clock.  We do have a 200 watt Renogy solar suitcase but that doesn’t really impact the answer to my ignorant question.  

SGW & DSM In Virginia
2018 Coachman Mirada 35KB
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Latner
Nomad
Nomad

Run it as long as the fuel lasts. Change the oil at recommended intervals.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator

That's a pretty tough question to answer because there can be many facets to it. But really it is going to come down to; If you are not in an area controlled by rules like a campground, then you can run it all night. Yes there are rules of thumb that people might talk about. But a rule of thumb is nothing more than their opinion on how they think it should be.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator

@Cherguin wrote:

We are new to camping on wheels so forgive the ignorance of my question. When dry camping away from any neighbors, how long is to long to continuously run the generator in a class A gas MH with  a 5500 Onan?  For example,  let’s say we are on public land out west in 100 degree days and 80 degree summer nights and need AC around the clock.  We do have a 200 watt Renogy solar suitcase but that doesn’t really impact the answer to my ignorant question.  

Running the generator is not a problem. However, many camping areas may have restrictions on what hours a generator may be used. I have found a few parks that did not allow using a generator at all. 

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

Latner
Nomad
Nomad

Run it as long as the fuel lasts. Change the oil at recommended intervals.