cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator Problem

jkmac408
Explorer
Explorer
On a trip last week we were running the generator to run the ac while on the road. The generator would start without any problem and the ac would run fine. Then after 30 min. or so the generator would shut off. Anybody have an idea what would cause this.
Thanks in advance.
Kenneth
5 REPLIES 5

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
You didn't mention what type of genset or what year so little tough to diagnose, but it should throw a code when it shuts down. Depending where you were travelling it could have shut down from overheating. When it got above 90 degrees in stop and go traffic ours would overheat and shut down. You pick up a lot of heat from the pavement, as well as under the rig.

But as other said, fuel could be an issue, clogged fuel filter, etc.

But if you model throws a code you can easily look up the codes in manual or on line.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
jkmac408 wrote:
On a trip last week we were running the generator to run the ac while on the road. The generator would start without any problem and the ac would run fine. Then after 30 min. or so the generator would shut off. Anybody have an idea what would cause this.
Thanks in advance.

Mine shuts off as you describe when I fail to open the vent on the fuel cap.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

bakedalaskan1
Explorer
Explorer
Did it happen on an uphill or downhill grade, or while cornering? If yes; add oil.You may be at the minimum oil level which is okay as long as the vehicle stays level.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
how much fuel was in your tank? some gennyโ€™s will auto stop
if the available fuel falls below a pre-set level.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Well anything I (and for that matter anyone else) could tell you would be purely a guess because we have no information about the generator, what it's installed in, and what (if anything) you've done up until this point to diagnosis it.

So I'll guess low oil.