cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Have A Major Made In China Purchase In Mind?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Got an email from Lin at 0300 (around 11 hours difference). "David, I highly recommend you buy important things soon. China is having difficuties (sic) and many factories in Guangdong are closing. Workers are not being paid."

BELOW IS A CUT AND PASTE FROM TODAY. I placed a huge (for me) order on eBay this morning for electronic parts. I have noted over the last six months many eBay items I had found for years and years have vanished. Scary stuff this news...

----------------------------------------------------------------------
-

Latest Update: Market lost SEVEN PERCENT TODAY

THIS WILL BE THE LAST UPDATE

1625 hours

Chinese stock markets continue to plunge

8 July 2015 Last updated at 09:54 BST

The dramatic sell-off in China's main stock market has continued despite efforts by regulators to try to stem the losses.

The Shanghai Composite index plunged 8% on opening, taking the drop in share values to 30% since their June peak.

On Wednesday, another 500 listed firms said they would stop trading their shares in an effort to insulate themselves from the meltdown.

Around 1,300 firms have halted trading, almost half of China's main shares. ALL, STOCK SALES HALTED.

While all Western eyes remain firmly focused on Greece, a potentially much more significant financial crisis is developing on the other side of world. In some quarters, itโ€™s already being called Chinaโ€™s 1929 โ€“ the year of the most infamous stock market crash in history and the start of the economic catastrophe of the Great Depression.

In any normal summer, a 30pc fall in the Chinese stock market โ€“ a loss of value roughly equivalent to the UKโ€™s entire economic output last year โ€“ after an ascent which had seen share prices more than double within the space of a year would have been front page news across the globe.

The dramatic series of government interventions to stem the panic โ€“ hitherto unsuccessful, it should be added โ€“ would similarly have been up there at the top of the news agenda. Yet the pantomime of the Greek debt talks, together with the tragi-comedy of will they, wonโ€™t they leave the euro, has relegated the story to little more than a footnote - even though 940 companies, more than a third, have now suspended trading on Chinaโ€™s two main indices.

"America in 1929 and China today โ€“ are at roughly similar stages of economic development"

The parallels with 1929 are, on the face of it, uncanny. After more than a decade of frantic growth, extraordinary wealth creation and excess, both economies โ€“ America in 1929 and China today โ€“ are at roughly similar stages of economic development. Both these booms, moreover, are in part explained by extremely rapid credit growth. Indeed, Chinaโ€™s credit boom dwarfs that of even the โ€œroaring Twentiesโ€. Borrowed money, or margin investing, played a major role in both these outbreaks of speculative excess.

True, the Chinese stock market bubble is only a one-year wonder, whereas the build-up to the Wall Street Crash of 1929 was more sustained. Even so, the comparison still holds. As noted by JK Galbraith in his classic account, The Great Crash 1929, even as late as 1927 it was possible to argue that American stocks represented fair value.

It was only in the final year that the โ€œescape into make-believeโ€ happened in earnest, when the stock market rose by nearly 50pc. This applies to the Shanghai Composite, too. Stripping out the lowly-rated banking sector, valuations for just about everything else have rocketed, making those that ruled on Wall Street in the run-up to October 24, 1929, look relatively modest. Nor do the similarities end there. As in 1920s America, Chinaโ€™s stock market boom has ridden in tandem with an equally speculative real estate bubble.

The macro-economic backdrop is also surprisingly similar. Then, as now in China, rural workers had emigrated to the cities in vast numbers in the hope of finding a more prosperous life in fast-growing industrial sectors. In 1920s America, virtually all these sectors โ€“ from steel to automobiles and the new technologies of radio and consumer durables โ€“ grew like Topsy, inspiring households to invest in them and chase the apparently bountiful profits they were generating.

A similar explosion in industrial activity has taken place in China, only more so. China has packed more development into a few short decades than any country in recorded history before, creating a worldwide glut in industrial capacity that even global demand, let alone domestic Chinese demand, is struggling to accommodate.

Already, there are warning signs of a slowdown, similar to those that front-ran the 1929 crash โ€“ depressed commodity prices and a virtual hiatus in global trade growth. The Chinese economy is like one of those cartoon characters who manages to keep running long after leaving the edge of the cliff, only belatedly to look down and plunge into the abyss.

Naturally, there are many dissimilarities too, not least that China is still essentially a planned and centrally-controlled economy which has so far managed to defy the usual rules of economics. The consensus is that this time will be no different, that even if the stock market does continue to crash, the impact will be no worse than 2007-08, when the Shanghai Composite fell by two-thirds. Yet after a massive fiscal and monetary stimulus, the wider economy barely lost a beat. Have no fear, the Chinese authorities have it all under control. Believe it if you will.

I donโ€™t buy it. Indeed, I can see very little evidence for Chinaโ€™s technocratic elite having things under control. The firebreaks that China put in place over the weekend to mitigate the panic are, in practice, not much different from those applied during the Great Crash of 1929, only this time itโ€™s public rather than private money that promises to quell the fire. They failed spectacularly in 1929. This time around, theyโ€™ve thrown the kitchen sink at the problem, but so far it has produced only a mild, and wholly unconvincing, rebound. The fire still smoulders, threatening to break out anew.

"China cannot forever, Greenspan-like, keep answering each successive bubble by creating another"
46 REPLIES 46

Explorer II
Explorer II
ROR You make me raugh
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Ah so. News of honorable Chinese portfolio. How goes Yuan Renminbi exchange rate?

Explorer II
Explorer II
Two days later, has the sky fallen yet.
I don't know about you but my portfolio is up this week.

Just saying.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I sent an error message to Tech., and they seemed to have reacted quickly to correct the glitch.

MrWizard
Page 5 for me..with my settings of Ten posts per page
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Testing
This page 3?
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
rjsurfer wrote:
CJW8 wrote:
Better stock up at HFT. Oh and they (China)don't just make junk. Check that IPhone you are holding.

Your wrong about HFT all of their tools are made in Chicago and Pittsburgh, not in China.

Ron W
LOL

well I just checked my latest purchase. the black tape and tape measure were made in China. the saw blades in Taiwan
bumpy

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I would say any RVer who believes inflation is not going to spiral is a hopeless optimist. My plan is to gather when the berries are ripe and not to place false hope an inevitabe blizzard "shouldn't" happen. Inflation is ugly and depressing. I lost contact with my discrete components source in China. I hope they have already shipped.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
China owns $1.224 trillion of our debt. Social Security, on the other hand owns $2.783 trillion....boy, those are a lot of zeroes.....just sayin...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Dusty R wrote:
How many $ do we/US Government owe China?
What if they decide they need it all right now?

Something about a Creek and the absence of a Paddle. ๐Ÿ™‚
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The problem is too many "comfortable" Americans would gladly tread across my corpse in order to afford yet another vacation home. The level of arrogance and elitism has set the USA for utter, total and complete failure. Outsourcing, speculation and greed is coming home to roost. The run of the mill RV'er will help foot their imposed luxury tax. We pay the tax while they luxuriate.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not even banking on SS when my turn comes due. Seriously, the inflation rate will effectively wipe out almost all purchasing power those dollars might have had by then.

The Consumer Price Index is a joke, it hardly includes anything that I purchase, it's almost like it's deliberately understated on purpose, a false, worthless number for percentage increase in cost of living. Anyone bought any water or electricity lately here out West?

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe you guys with the deep pockets can survive. But, some of us on SS and part time jobs will be eating Ramen noodles in order to buy a 24 inch flat screen if our 55 inchers go belly up.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
America has too many Liberal Arts degreed majors with Bachelors degrees suitable for use as TP, that feel the world owes them a job. They fail to understand that no one owes them anything. Not even a job.

If you don't like or can't work for someone else, go ahead and start your own business, be your own captain, take your own risks, and sink or swim on your own accord.