cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help with digital thermostat.

Iceman31
Explorer
Explorer
I have been fighting with what should be a fairly simple swap, I am swapping my Coleman Mach thermostat for a Honeywell TH6110D1013 which is a battery operated thermostat. I am attaching a picture of the wiring when I first took it apart. Here is what is coming out of the wall.

Red Wire - which attaches to the grey wire which is attached to GL on Coleman Mach
Yellow Wire - which attaches to the yellow wire on Coleman Mach
Green wire - which attaches to green wire which is attached to GH on Coleman Mach
Blue Wire and a White Wire all spun together which attaches to Blue on Coleman Mach
Second Red Wire - which attaches to Red on Coleman Mach
Second Green Wire - which attaches to White on Coleman Mach

Now on my Honeywell I have these connections

G-
W-
C- Nothing as running off batteries
Y- I assume Yellow Wire
R-
Rc- I assume Second Red Wire as the R an Rc are jumpered.

I am only going to hook up high speed fan so I assume first Red Wire should just be capped and not hooked up. So what wires should be hooked up to G and W on my Honeywell?

I blew a fuse first go around so all help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Link to image: https://imgur.com/CPsccPk
2019 RAM 1500 Classic Express Night Edition
2018 Venture RV Sporttrek 343VIK
2017 Hyundai Tuscon SE AWD
2016 Hyundai Sonata Limited
2014 Chevrolet Camaro LS1
2004 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
2011 Crestliner Superhawk c/w 115HP Mercury
2012 Honda CBR250
16 REPLIES 16

tuseggrolls
Explorer
Explorer
Iceman31 wrote:
I had the Honeywell lying around from my house as I replaced the one at home with a wifi capable thermostat.

Would you share the wiring that works for you?
Thanks
Nick

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
When I did this mod, I had to connect ground to "R" instead of power. Apparently in my trailer (not sure about all), the furnace and AC is activated by ground instead of power. I figured this out by trying to activate the furnace manually with power, and it didn't work. When I shorted it to ground, it turned on.

Normally you would think that you would connect positive power to the power lead, but since we don't have 24V in our RVs, we're running off the backup batteries. When turning on a furnace or AC, it would normally direct that power to the furnace through a relay or transistor. But since my trailer activates with ground, I had to connect it to ground.

My notes are at http://www.modmyrv.com/2012/01/03/mod-100-honeywell-digital-thermostat (user "wishbone" in the comments)
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

Iceman31
Explorer
Explorer
Thank You everyone for your posts - redid everything and now all works fine. Much appreciated.
2012 Honda CBR250

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like it lit when in use. Then turn off the lights after a couple minutes of rest. I don't need one more night light. This is how my single zone Dometic works and it is exactly what I like.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Lighted displays are nice, like lighted computer keyboards.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
BLF, Maybe it is just a grumpy old camper thing.

Personally, at this stage i am in, The TStat on the fifth wheel is in the upper hall way. It is not very bright up there even in the day time. And yes my old eyes do not see as well any more. So during the day, especially a cloudy day I have to turn the hall way light on to get a good look at the display.

Not to mention how sometimes i want to adjust the temp after dark. That hall way light sure is a big glare, specially when it hits the DW in the kisser cus the bedroom door was open.

I hope that gave a little insight on the subject, "looking through my eyes". ๐Ÿ˜‰

Also kinda like one of those deals where i ordered my truck without 2WD. :h

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
This concern with having a lighted display for the thermostat keeps coming up when discussing them. I do not understand it. Why do you ever need to see the display during "lights out"?

We have a digital Honeywell without a lighted display and get by ok. You can see the display in daylight or when the rig's inside lights are on, which is when you would be changing any settings.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Old Biscuit, Best I can determine the Coleman T Stat that you posted a link to does not have a lighted background. What is your take?

BTW, the white version is on ebay for 56.89, free ship also. i am just not a fan of the black color.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Dang iceman what a timely post. I have been procrastinating on the exact same project.

I just may waste my Honeywell and go for that slick Coleman one. nice easy high low hook up also. cool

BTW you can be my wing man anytime. ๐Ÿ˜‰

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Honeywell thermostat
G = Fan
Y = Compressor
C = Common of transformer
W= Heat
R = power
Rc = power cooling
B/O = reversing valve ( heat pump models only )
Now get a Coleman wireing diagram & match wires.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Here you go. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2S8Vq5diAM
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Iceman31
Explorer
Explorer
I had the Honeywell lying around from my house as I replaced the one at home with a wifi capable thermostat.
2012 Honda CBR250

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
For $49 you can have a RVComfort Coleman Mach DIGITAL T-stat and wire it direct

Coleman Mach Digital...Black
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hereโ€™s what I can figure from what I found online:

Coleman GH wire to Honeywell G (high fan).
Coleman W wire to Honeywell W (heat).
Coleman Y wire to Honeywell Y (cool).
Coleman R wire to Honeywell R/Rc (heat +12/cool +12).
Coleman GL wire capped (low fan).
Coleman B wires capped but left spun together (common/gnd).

Is that about what you had when blowing fuses?