cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with picking out components, and do I need solar.

Stromboli
Explorer
Explorer
Do I need solar?
I’m up grading and setting up the trailer for long term dry camping.
I’m installing a Honda 3000i generator onto the tongue of my Nash 17K.
I’ve also decided to add lithium batteries to replace the dead lead acid batteries that the trailer came with, probably 2 Battle Born 100Ah 12V LiFePO4.
That much I’ve figured out.
Now the hard part.

I have the opportunity to do it all right now. Generator, solar panels, inverter, duel transfer switches, new charger, solar controller. But I’m so confused with picking out the rest of the components.
My neighbor has agreed to do all the work for me and he is very capable.
There is not a lot of room on the roof of the 17K.
Is it worth it to add 200 watts of solar?
Would 200 watts keep me from running my generator so often?
What other components should I buy?
I’ve looked at different kits on Amazon but don’t know if the quality is there and which brands to buy.
I’ve had my coffee and my brain still hurts.
Any advice would be appreciated.
2016 F150
Nash 17K
42 REPLIES 42

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
I took a semi-portable approach and attached panels to the side of my coach. They can be tilted or when parked in shade they can be lifted off and placed out in the sun. The panels are 80 watts and 180 watts. I also have a 125 watt on the roof.

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

There is now an LI chemistry that can be charged at -30 c and used from -50 to +60 C. It also does 20,000 to 30,000 cycles.

deltabravo wrote:
Stromboli wrote:
Are you aware that lithium batteries have temperature limitations?

Yes, batteries are getting moved from the tongue to inside the trailer.

Under the bed?
That's where I plan to put mine.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP,

Have you considered gaining some experience first before installing an expensive system that may/may not be what you need/want after a year’s experience?

For example: My first install was a $160 battery monitor so that I could learn about my battery power requirements and design a system that met those requirements with maximum efficiency and minimum cost.

200 watt of panels? You can cover your roof if desired. I researched various panel configuration and realized that mounting close to the roof was not the best plan. I then talked to every RV I could find with raised panels before installing raised panels to clear roof obstacles.

This is my result and there are others.

Food for thought.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Stromboli wrote:
Are you aware that lithium batteries have temperature limitations?

Yes, batteries are getting moved from the tongue to inside the trailer.

Under the bed?
That's where I plan to put mine.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

was_butnotnow
Explorer
Explorer
I would go with AGM batteries and not bother with lithium.
AGM will take a fast charge (100 amps) with the 3000i gen and last a long time without worry.
Get as much solar as you can fit.
Enjoy whatever you go with.
I have 600 W solar with 4 12V AGMs and can run a residential refrigerator all night with this.
I just run the generator while watching TV etc at night and to top off the bats for overnight.
Now in a 05 Monaco Cayman DP 36 PDQ
Traveled many years in NuWa Hitchhiker 5th wheels.
Travel Journals and Adventures of people living this lifestyle

Hitchitch.com

Personal blog with our own travels. www.fulltime.hitchitch.com

SkullAndSquirre
Explorer
Explorer
I got a Renogy 200w solar kit off Amazon, and loved it. It was just enough for us to keep the fridge going (on propane), the water pump, cell phones charged, and a couple of hours of Led lights on in the evening. It's just enough to keep you out in the boondocks and puttering conservatively along.

On our new rig we got a gopower 170w system that was almost twice as much money. Right now it's not as good. I'm trying to diagnose what is wrong with it, but as it stands the cheap amazon kit worked better for us.

To me unless you have to have AC, use a blow drier, or like microwaving stuff, there is not much impetus to get a generator.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
any updates on your project?
Bob

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Of course. Just letting the OP know he might have a reason to like this combo unit.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Time2roll,

Load support is available on many inverter/chargers. It is about the only reason to have a combo unit, in my opinion.

One of my electrician friends described how load support is managed. It is apparently much like a sophisticated autoformer.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen all-in-one units that had software so complicated it would have befuddled Steven Hawking. And I have seen single function component controls not far behind Steven Hawking complicated entertainment centers.

I remember my rejecting the earliest EMETER encounters because the meter required extensive menu sub-selections and scrolling. Nice toy for those whom have lots of time for pushing buttons but thank you very much make mine simple.

If I am dealing with a controller and it takes five or more selection clicks to access float voltage settings, the controller stays on the store shelf.

This is why I use one hundredth of one percent of my S4 Galaxy features.

Before committing to ANY device and I mean ANY I examine the how-to dept and learn the complexity of setting up and using the product. If it seems mind-boggling --it's a warning. People today are used to scrawling for a half hour per four hours on an cellular telephone. I mean, HOW did people not go EXTINCT before smart phones?

Therefore in the process of selection, gain access to a USER MANUAL. Read it. Try to understand it. Return to the forum and ask questions. If buzzword laced comments overwhelm comprehension I keep shopping.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Victron Multiplus is a unique inverter/charger as it will combine limited input power with the inverter to start a large item or temporarily run an additional item that would otherwise overload your supply. Such as starting the air conditioner from a 2000 watt generator.

Stromboli
Explorer
Explorer
Nice analogy with the audiophile references.
It was 1980 when I bought my first real stereo, and it was all separates.
Now I'm back to an all in one, my phone. 🙂

Would you go so far as to even break up the inverter/charger into separates?

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Remember when COMBO home entertainment systems were popular? If it needed to go to a shop, half of your living room disappeared as the service truck hauled it away to the shop for repair.

By modualizing individual systems a controller for instance can be upgraded without trashing the system. The finest musical reproduction equipment on earth use modular construction

Reproduction -- ie tuner, turntable, cd rom, etc. --- pre amplifier --- equalizer --- amplifier --- speaker crossover network --- speaker. And to make it tough the pre amplifier and finals use vacuum tubes.

All in one receivers satisfy many people.

I would recommend selection, that is cherry picking individual components that do their job according to your exact needs.

Solar is in a unique position to offer finish-charging expertise due to more complete control and because solar can finish up an utterly correct battery charge minus a generator's negative points.
2016 F150
Nash 17K

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

It means that solar can top off the battery bank if the system is properly configured, and that running a generator to "top off" is prohibitively expensive.

Since you want LI batteries--that doesn't apply to you.

Stromboli wrote:

For instance, this, I have no idea what this means.

Solar is in a unique position to offer finish-charging expertise due to more complete control and because solar can finish up an utterly correct battery charge minus a generator's negative points.
Regards, Don

Stromboli
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking of going the all in one route only because I have no idea how to pick separates.
Most of the time I have no idea what you solar gurus are talking about.
For instance, this, I have no idea what this means.

2016 F150
Nash 17K