cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot Air Blowing Out From Behind Out Fridge

MentallyRetired
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2022 Wildwood 27RK with an Everchill 12 volt refrigerator. On a recent trip, I noticed a lot of really warm air coming out from between the fridge and the cabinet. I thought maybe the outside vent was clogged so I searched the back of the camper and even the roof - there is no exterior vent for the fridge! As last weeks temperatures were in the mid 90s and with all this warm air coming inside for the fridge, it was almost impossible to cool the camper. My question is, should there be an exterior vent for the heat from the fridge? If not, does anyone have any advice on how the put one in?
2013 Ford F150
Equil-i-zer, Prodigy
2016 Shamrock 23WS
8 REPLIES 8

Housted
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
Housted wrote:
Just another reason to convert your gas/electric absorbtion refer to 12 volt compressors. The outside vents remain in place and the heat is sent outside. Convection moves air from the side vent to the roof vent.
Fans move air when the compressor is running. No heat to the inside of coach. 🙂

Housted

But what if you order it with the all electric.. And at 20 amps That's a heavy chomper of battery power.. a Good Compressor unit needs less than 1/4 that kind of power.

Sorry there are no available 12 volt compressor friges that only draw 5 amps!!! My conversion only draws 14 amps when both compressors are running. They rarely run at the same time.
They are separately controlled for the refer and freezer.

Houated
2019 Forrest River Forrester 3051S 2014 Honda CRV toad.
1000 W Solar, converted to 50 amp
400 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter, Refer converted with JC refrigeration unit, Sofa replaced with 2 swivel chairs, over cab bed converted to TV mount and storage

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Housted wrote:
Just another reason to convert your gas/electric absorbtion refer to 12 volt compressors. The outside vents remain in place and the heat is sent outside. Convection moves air from the side vent to the roof vent.

Housted

But what if you order it with the all electric.. And at 20 amps That's a heavy chomper of battery power.. a Good Compressor unit needs less than 1/4 that kind of power.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Housted
Explorer III
Explorer III

Housted
2019 Forrest River Forrester 3051S 2014 Honda CRV toad.
1000 W Solar, converted to 50 amp
400 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter, Refer converted with JC refrigeration unit, Sofa replaced with 2 swivel chairs, over cab bed converted to TV mount and storage

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
This is normal as it also is for when a residential refrigerator is used. That is a downside of using this type of refrigerator. Heat load wise you now have the equivalent of an extra person in the RV all the time.

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sadly, another unintended consequence of getting rid of those awful, dangerous absorption reefers. Will we soon see units coming off the assembly line on solid rubber tires to get rid of damage from cheap tires?

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
No, it works like a residential fridge and has no venting. Just like your home fridge, it dumps the heat inside the living space.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
What does the refer manual show for installation? I suspect that like a home the A/C needs to be adequate for the refer heat. Just wondering if you have a refer issue or an A/C issue.

If you add a vent you will also be bringing in warm outside air to the RV I would think.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
well the 12V fridge is like the one in your house, or a portable ice maker. No outside vent normally installed, Now if the 12V fridge has an enclosed area around the heat exchanger then one could with a fan vent the hot air outside, but unless you also pulled outside air in, hot (or cold) outside air to replace it would need to come from somewhere.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!