cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

House Batteries not being charged by engine.

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings all,

Been RV'ing for 30 years and we just bought a 2019 Minnie Winnie 22r on a Ford E350 chassis.

My house batteries are not getting a charge when engine running.

Batteries charge with Genny, and shore power.

I have read on all the different types of setup BIMs etc but none seem to fit what I have.

In the picture link below I have 14.4 V on the left side of the boost solenoid

Is it possible they made this RV with no charging to the house batteries from the engine?

What am I missing?

Thanks for you time and input

NutinElse2do
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us
22 REPLIES 22

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Glad to be of some help!
Hope other issues can be readily resolved.
Many problems on used rigs can go back to previous owners.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
larry cad wrote:
Man am I disappointed. I thought this would last until the New Year and give me some entertainment.

Sorry to disappoint you so close to the holidays but the fuse FIXED the primary issue of batteries not changing --

Seems the previous owner removed the fuse in order to get the chime to stop for the jacks down, when they are in fact in the up position. Should be as simple as a switch on the jacks themselves. Time to chase down another little issue.

Bud ( enblethen ) if it wasn't for you and the diagram and you pointing out the jacks and the boost solenoid where on the same circuit I would still be chasing this issue. Thank you so very much for your help, wisdom, and kindness helping me with this issue.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Man am I disappointed. I thought this would last until the New Year and give me some entertainment.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
So started headed under the dash where the stabilizer down light is and found the yellow wires that are part of the circuit. Low and behold I found this with no fuse in it. uggghh

I don't have a 5 amp fuse so have to run to the store and get some fuses.

Hopefully this will solve the issue and not create a ton of other issues, will report back as soon as I have the results

-Richard
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Connection goes through the boost switch as shown on first page.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Found what I didn't find yesterday.
Wiring diagram
First three pages shows wiring for boost and charging relay. Several connectors. My first thought is the one behind the boost switch is not fully connected.
Does the leveling jacks indicator and chime work? Looking at third page lower left corner.

Thanks for the diagram that may help. I have electric stabilizers on the rear only and a light on the dash to show they are still down and I just validated the jacks work but no light o n the dash or any tone.

-Richard
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I didn't find anything that shows battery charge circuit other than through the boost switch.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Found what I didn't find yesterday.
Wiring diagram
First three pages shows wiring for boost and charging relay. Several connectors. My first thought is the one behind the boost switch is not fully connected.
Does the leveling jacks indicator and chime work? Looking at third page lower left corner.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
CloudDriver wrote:

The yellow wire gets 12V when the ignition switch is on. With the engine running you should get 12V or higher at that terminal and chassis battery/alternator voltage at one of the heavy wire terminals. The other heavy wire terminal connects to the house batteries. If the solenoid is working properly the voltage should be the same on both sides. If no voltage at the yellow wire terminal when the ignition is on then some wire tracing is in order.

The only time the yellow wire gets 12v is when the boost switch is engaged. whether or not the ignitions switch is on or not.

-Richard
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2003 Minnie. The relay that connects the chassis battery and alternator to the house batteries is the silver cylindrical one in your picture. Winnebago calls it the "Battery Mode Solenoid". I have replaced ours three times since we bought the MH new. After the third failure I bought this heavy duty contactor. No more issues.

The yellow wire gets 12V when the ignition switch is on. With the engine running you should get 12V or higher at that terminal and chassis battery/alternator voltage at one of the heavy wire terminals. The other heavy wire terminal connects to the house batteries. If the solenoid is working properly the voltage should be the same on both sides. If no voltage at the yellow wire terminal when the ignition is on then some wire tracing is in order.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

Gary45
Explorer
Explorer
Battery isolator module in engine compartment???

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
When you get back to it, check the dash wiring to see where the yellow ire connects. It must be connected to the battery charge circuit.
Verify operation of the switch. Some have a multi-function switch. one position for charging and one position for boost.
I used your link to Winnebago. They don't show much that I saw for harness.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
First enblethen thank you for being so helpful, making progress is a good thing.

I have to call it a day, have dinner obligations and working on the RV is probably not a "out"

I will pick this up in the morning and continue to follow the yellow wires.

I did find a fuse there, and it wasn't blown ๐Ÿ˜ž

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/Files/Winnebago/Resources/Diagram/2018/000038813.pdf

Again enblethen, thanks for taking the time to help.

Richard
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Did you trace the yellow wires?
Trace the control wires for disconnect.