cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do I put this electric motor back together?!

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Got my shave ice machine motor back from the repair guy. Started to put it on the machine. Turned the shaft and it was rough and clunky.

Since it was Christmas Eve, I decided to see if I could fix it myself. Opened the motor up, found that one of the permanent magnets had come unglued. After a quick Google, I sanded the interface and glued it down with J-B Weld, clamped it overnight.

But yes, in all this, I managed to lose track of which end had the brushes on it and which end was the shaft. There don't seem to be any markings to tell me. I'm also not a hundred percent sure that I got the magnet oriented right, although I am maybe 75% sure. Yes, it was a bad day.

So, at this point I'm hoping one of you retired engineer types can help me out. Again.

Does it matter which end the brushes are at?

Will I ruin everything if I have the magnet switched around wrong?

Sigh. Merry Christmas.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.
23 REPLIES 23

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Also, in case this is a clue, when I turn the shaft by hand and let go of it, as it stops at wobbles back and forth. It does this whether I turn it clockwise or counterclockwise. Does this mean my magnet is flipped around?

I hope I get lucky and somebody who knows something is logging in ๐Ÿ™‚
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, new question. Boy do I wish I had some clue what I was doing here.

When I put the motor together and turn it by hand, it has a sort of a scraping feeling. It doesn't have the clunking feeling it had when the magnet was loose.

When I open it up again, I can move the inside around to each of the four magnets, so I can tell that there is a little air space before each magnet like there ought to be. But I don't know if still maybe my glue was too thick... Is it okay to put it together and let it kind of wear in?

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
It's a DC permanent magnet motor. It has four magnets glued to the inside of the case.

MrWizard
Refresh my memory
Is this a DC motor connected directly to the battery,?
The there is a segmented commutater on the brush end
An A.C. Motor with brushes will have either that or a pair of " slip rings" like generators have
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

alaska_dennis
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, Dennis :-). I did check the magnet, But whichever way I switched it around, it still attracted to both its neighbors.

How many magnets on case? For polarity maybe a compass more sensitive.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
well looks like we know what your getting for new years.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
alaska dennis wrote:
Yes if you can put it back together either way One way it will spin backwarks and if permanent is in backwards no spin. To check use another magnet and it should attract on one and repel on the other.

Thank you, Dennis :-). I did check the magnet, But whichever way I switched it around, it still attracted to both its neighbors.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me I would return it the the "repair guy" and ask him to fix it properly.
Kevin

alaska_dennis
Explorer
Explorer
Yes if you can put it back together either way One way it will spin backwarks and if permanent is in backwards no spin. To check use another magnet and it should attract on one and repel on the other.