cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to repair front trim/stripped holes on trailer?

nwoodco1
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to get some advice on how to repair my camper or if it isn't something feasibly DIY>
Had my camper parked and unfortunately it got clipped by my neighbor. He told me right away and offered to repair or pay for repairs which is great, so I would like to do it DIY if it can be done. As you can see in the pictures the front trim is pulled out and the first 5 screw holes are stripped so now the front and side panels are also loose. What is the best way to fix? Just caulk won't work as this trim holds the front and side in place, but the screws don't have anything to bite into it seems like.
9 REPLIES 9

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Blacklane wrote:
If you have to fix cracked or broken wood for screws to hold, consider using wood epoxy, such as JB Weld wood repair. It bonds well, can be drilled and screwed, and is weather resistant.

X2
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Blacklane
Explorer
Explorer
If you have to fix cracked or broken wood for screws to hold, consider using wood epoxy, such as JB Weld wood repair. It bonds well, can be drilled and screwed, and is weather resistant.

katysdad
Explorer
Explorer
Pull a few more screws above it to give some flexibility to clean up the old putty under the damaged trim and assess the framing. The trim is a soft aluminum and can be easily straightend. Get some new putty tape to put under the trim. Screws can be reinstalled between the original holes in the corner molding. They are self drilling, does'nt take much force tog through the trim. The new putty tape should squeeze out of the old screw holes sealing them up. As a side note, looking at the old dried and cracking putty, the whole trailer should be resealed at all the moldings and joints or water intrusion is not far off. Not hard just a little time consuming but will greatly extend the life of the trailer. Most likely wood frame with fiberglass insulation and will soak up and hold water like a sponge.
Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Diesel

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
matt has good info cut it off and clean things up. shoot some good wood goo in there. and filler strips.the more time you fuss with it the better it,ll look.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Noah,
I have done similar repairs (on boat, I worked on boats a lot).
I will advise that - if you can - you get that entire trim piece loose. Then you can clean off the old caulk and straighten the piece without damaging the bedding of the remainder. There is probably damage to the side where the screws ripped out and those areas can be tapped back flat before you try to remount the corner trim.
The other remarks about plugging the old holes was right in line. Any soft wood will do. What I have often done is fill the holes and when the glue has set, then I would come back and trim the plugs.
At least you have a decent neighbor.
Matt_C
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

nwoodco1
Explorer
Explorer
Mike134 wrote:
prichardson wrote:
There is likely wood framing behind. If that has not been damaged the screw holes can be plugged with wood slivers and glue and the screws reset.

/\ /\ /\ /\ this Toothpicks and glue in the stripped holes

The issue is that because of the angle of impact the framing is split, so I am not sure it can be repaired to screw into.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
prichardson wrote:
There is likely wood framing behind. If that has not been damaged the screw holes can be plugged with wood slivers and glue and the screws reset.

/\ /\ /\ /\ this Toothpicks and glue in the stripped holes
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Can you look up behind the damage and see what it might entail? If it's just sheet metal you could epoxy a few strips of wood to the inside then screw from the outside.

If there is floor or other structure behind the damage I would inspect very carefully before you decided to just screw it together and walk off.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup