cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hughes Auto Former

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Well I got it today. Plugged it in and hen the coach and voltage in the mh jumped up in the green zone to 125 volts with everything in the coach on. Minutes before it had been right at 110 volts on the low side.
Says 12,000 watts booster.

Great. I still have the old Surge Guard too.
Any problem plugging in that Surgeguard and then the Huge Autoformer into it, which has it's own high or low Surge protection to 48,000jules, I think it said. Looking at the box I can't fin it?
Sounds like enough power to melt everything.

The side of the unit where the power cord from the Mh plugs in has n shelding to prevent water, that strange stuff from back east from getting all over the prongs. Anyone had problems there?
Three, they ell a kit for near 200.00 to install the unit in a VENTED compartment. The only venting in our is the large hole for the cord.
Anyone had a problem in a semi non vented compartment?
9 REPLIES 9

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
Ok if you plug in like this

Park--Surge guard (See note)---Hughes---RV

Note: and the surge guard is one of the good ones that cut you off if the voltage is too low or high.. IT will cut you off when the uncorrected voltage goes too low (i think 109)

I think we are in agreement but.... it was technically correct but a little confusing they way you wrote it (first reading it looked like the above was a reasonable option).

To clarify a bit more:

If you put the surge guard upstream of the autofomrer (as shown in the example above)...it will likely cut power due to low voltage at the pedestal when the autoformer is well within it's capability to boost the voltage to acceptable levels.

So if the pedestal is at say 102v, the autoformer boosting at 10%, would take that up to around 112v which I would be fine with. But since the Surge guard sees 102v, it cuts power to protect your system and the autoformer never gets a chance to boost the power.

By putting the autoformer upstream, it takes the 102v power and boosts it to 112v and the surge guard sees 112v and is happy to pass the power thru to the RV.

Well.. I thought that was what I said ๐Ÿ™‚ Sometimes I can get confusing thanks for the re-write.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Sometime this evening the Autoformer apparently has quit working. Wife started to use the convection oven and noticed the voltage meter on the red lien at 110 volts.
The two leds that show when it is boosting lien 1 and line 2 were dark.
The other leds were glwoing light green just like when I first plugged in though.Unplugged it and waited a while and plugged it back in, No change. Triedto call Hughes but no one answered and left a message. Tried to sen and email on their form on their site and not sue it worked.
I hope I don't have to send it back.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
I was told by Hughes when I purchased my Autoformer to plug the Surge Protector in after the Autoformer like option #2 above.....

They told me the surge protector was no longer needed since the Hughes has one built in, but would use it if I already had it....

Two comments: 1: Thank you (that option 2 was my post)

2: The built in replacable surge protection is MOV (metal Oxcide Varisistors as best I can spell it out) and these are very good at clipping spikes (Short bursts of too much voltage)

This is ONE of the ways that my TRC Surge Guard or the PI HW-30/50 o PT-30/50 or the new PT-30/50 replacement protect you

Never hurts to have more MOV's (Up to a point and we are not even close yet)

But the Good Systems like the HW-30/50C or the portable (plug in) equivlent also protect you if you plug into a 240 volt outlet or if power goes out for like just one second (They hold off for between 2 and 3 minutes which is way easier on the A/C) and also. after a power fail. hold you off for 2-3 minutes when power comes back (It's kind of roller coaster ride during the first minute)

They also protect (By shuttng off) if power goes too low.

ANd check for bad connections as well.

IN short.. Like I said before. I use both.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
wa8yxm wrote:

Note: and the surge guard is one of the good ones that cut you off if the voltage is too low or high.. IT will cut you off when the uncorrected voltage goes too low (i think 109)

I think we are in agreement but.... it was technically correct but a little confusing they way you wrote it (first reading it looked like the above was a reasonable option).

To clarify a bit more:

If you put the surge guard upstream of the autofomrer (as shown in the example above)...it will likely cut power due to low voltage at the pedestal when the autoformer is well within it's capability to boost the voltage to acceptable levels.

So if the pedestal is at say 102v, the autoformer boosting at 10%, would take that up to around 112v which I would be fine with. But since the Surge guard sees 102v, it cuts power to protect your system and the autoformer never gets a chance to boost the power.

By putting the autoformer upstream, it takes the 102v power and boosts it to 112v and the surge guard sees 112v and is happy to pass the power thru to the RV.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Park Power then AutoFormer then Surge protection in that order.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
cavie wrote:

Autoformer has built in surge protection only but no EMS protection at all!
I'm not sure I agree with this statement as the autoformer steps up the voltage to avoid the lower than 108 Volt situation. Therefore it does provide low voltage protection.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
I was told by Hughes when I purchased my Autoformer to plug the Surge Protector in after the Autoformer like option #2 above.....

They told me the surge protector was no longer needed since the Hughes has one built in, but would use it if I already had it....

You must understand the term Surge Protector to determine where to plug it in. At true surge protector is just that and nothing more. It will protect from strong surge on the power lines. It will take only one hit and it is done. It makes no difference where you plug it in.

An EMS on the other hand must be plugin AFTER the Autoformer. If you plug the autoformer in after the EMS, The EMS will shut off the power at 108 and render the autoformer usless.

Shore Power, Autoformer. EMS.

Autoformer has built in surge protection only but no EMS protection at all!

surge protector and EMS are two different things.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III

If you plug in like this (As I do)

Park---Hughes---Surge guard--RV
Then well if you plug into 220 volts by accident (using an adapter if needed) you will fry the hughes (or may fry it) but low voltaeg will be corrected BEFORE the surge guard cuts you off.

And that is why I do it that way .