Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hydraulic Problem

BertP
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

I have a Wildcat 28BH with a single hydraulically actuated superslide. We haven't used the rig in a couple of years and I see that all of the hydraulic fluid has leaked out onto the ground. At first, I assumed that the reservoir had somehow been damaged since it was completely empty but I took it out and I can see no physical damage to either the reservoir or the pump unit. The lines are on top so I can't see how they could empty the reservoir but they appear to be fine anyway.

Any suggestions as to what the problem might be? I assumed that the pump would be unable to completely empty the reservoir so I kinda ruled out a broken line (but I checked anyway). I can find no damage of any kind to the unit or anything attached to it.

The reservoir has a Lippert Components sticker on it but their website covers everything except hydraulic systems. The only tag I can find on the pump portion is a Haldex sticker but that is just the motor, not the pump.

Thanks

Bert
8 REPLIES 8

BertP
Explorer
Explorer
OK, thanks, I'll drop them a line, then.

Bert

trailrider
Explorer
Explorer
Call Lippert and have them e-mail you the fix for a leaky reservoir. It involves a new o ring, specific cleaning procedures and red hi temp rtv.
2020 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD GAS!!!
1978 Chevrolet Silverado K20 4x4
2007 Komfort 277TS
2020 Sherco 300 SEF Factory
2018 Honda Rancher TRX420FA6
2017 Montesa 4RT260
2021 Honda CRF450X

BertP
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
it should use ATF. Are you sure Lippert has nothing on your system?
If you go to http://lci1.com/support-center, click on the slide setup you have, and you will get a tabbed page, with tabs for technical info, manuals, faq, etc. The manuals will give the service manuals.

You're right, Chris, it is ATF. Thanks.

Bert

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
it should use ATF. Are you sure Lippert has nothing on your system?
If you go to http://lci1.com/support-center, click on the slide setup you have, and you will get a tabbed page, with tabs for technical info, manuals, faq, etc. The manuals will give the service manuals.
-- Chris Bryant

BertP
Explorer
Explorer
I think that is what I am going to try. Any idea what oil goes in it? There's nothing on the unit itself to tell me. It looks like power steering fluid but I don't know for sure.

Bert

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Fill it with oil, wipe it clean, then check.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

BertP
Explorer
Explorer
The problem is that it happened over a period of time as it sat parked. The fluid ran down the pump mounting structure to the bottom of the front basement, across the front and down the right jack to the ground.

I looked at the seal today and it seemed odd. There is an O ring but the reservoir slips over it and is bolted in place. The seal isn't compressed by the reservoir as it is bolted in because they are in different planes (the barrel shaped reservoir just slides over the O ring, it doesn't butt up against it).

I am beginning to suspect that the reservoir bolts had backed off just enough to allow the fluid to leak out. I can find no physical damage anywhere.

Bert

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Common for a while was the reservoir to body seal. But that would leave anwet oily mess. You need to start checking everything within 10 feet of the wet spot on the ground.