cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent water leak issue

CampSight
Explorer
Explorer
The bathroom cold water faucet leaks underneath whenever I turn on the water heater - in either gas or electric mode. It’s seems to be happening intermittently though. Any help with this would be appreciated.
27 REPLIES 27

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
ernie1 wrote:
drsteve; The dump valve was dripping externally onto the blacktop parking lot and I tried to push it in further to stop it with no luck. So I in an attempt to free it, I pulled and pushed with of course, the cap on the end of the discharge line firmly twisted on when all of a sudden the seal popped out of place and the liquid stuff started coming out between the two valve pieces. No, I was not trying to dump black water onto the black top in the middle of the parking lot. I know, of course, this wasn't implied!

That sounds like something that would happen to me!
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
machero, There was not an O Ring in my kit that fit. The guy at Fast Auto sold them individually in virtually all sizes. Took 2 trips to nail it. And i do use Veton Rings that kicks plumber's grease adz.

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve; The dump valve was dripping externally onto the blacktop parking lot and I tried to push it in further to stop it with no luck. So I in an attempt to free it, I pulled and pushed with of course, the cap on the end of the discharge line firmly twisted on when all of a sudden the seal popped out of place and the liquid stuff started coming out between the two valve pieces. No, I was not trying to dump black water onto the black top in the middle of the parking lot. I know, of course, this wasn't implied!

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
ernie1 wrote:
Dave H M: Reguiar so called plumbers grease is a petroleum product and will swell and eventually destroy any rubber products. One should instead use silicone grease which will not react with rubber. Guess how I know? It's a shame that plumbers grease uses that name because it can be very misleading. Used plumbers grease for years. on the dump valves on my rv and constantly fought them cause the seals had swelled and made the valves hard to pull. At one point I pulled the handle so hard the seal popped out of place and I had a real mess draining onto the black top at a Walmart store in New Mexico.

The question has to be asked... why were you pulling on the black valve handle while parked at Walmart?
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M: Reguiar so called plumbers grease is a petroleum product and will swell and eventually destroy any rubber products. One should instead use silicone grease which will not react with rubber. Guess how I know? It's a shame that plumbers grease uses that name because it can be very misleading. Used plumbers grease for years. on the dump valves on my rv and constantly fought them cause the seals had swelled and made the valves hard to pull. At one point I pulled the handle so hard the seal popped out of place and I had a real mess draining onto the black top at a Walmart store in New Mexico.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Good job Dave! Nice to have one of those o-ring kit's in the tool compartment.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Without knowing all the history here is a dilemma I went through on an intermittent leak under the kitchen sink. Older RV - the kitchen faucet assy had been replaced. The new one had a coupling where the water supply slid up on the faucet connection and was held in place by a clip. So I would go for a few days with nothing and then out of the clear blue a water puddle under the sink. i traced it down to which faucet by tying strips of paper towel on just below the connectors. When i found the wet one, I started exploring. After inspecting the O Ring that sealed the connection, I found a nick on it.

So the challenge began on finding the right size O Ring. i found a guy at Fast Auto who knew his O rings and after two trial and errors he came up with what must of been the exact fit. It slid on (some plumbers grease applied) easily an i clipped it on.

NO MORE LEAKS!

That s my story and I am sticking to it. 🙂

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
On the subject of check valves, I carry a threaded plug that I can connect to the city water port in case that check valve fails. Nothing worse than having to cut a camping trip short because that check valve failed.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
On the subject of check valves, I carry a threaded plug that I can connect to the city water port in case that check valve fails. Nothing worse than having to cut a camping trip short because that check valve failed.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
The check valve will not allow water to leave the RV and enter the public water system. Therefore when the pressure in the RV exceeds the incoming water pressure the valve closes and the water pressure in your RV goes higher and higher as the water is heated. The cold and hot water systems are connected so the weakest link is your cold water fitting and it begins to drip.
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
I totally agree with mchero.You've determined that it's the cold side of the faucet that's leaking. Have you put a wrench or pliers to the fittings? Why does the fitting only leak sometimes and not others? You've already figured out that this happens when the water heater is running so that means that there's more pressure in the system and the pressure can vary quite a bit and the leak will only get worse with time and not better nor the same. After trying the wrench or pliers on the fitting with no luck, look long and hard at the fitting itself for cracks or splits. If this is not the problem, consider changing the faucet itself and get on with life. Quit wondering why and how this is happening. Most bathroom faucets are a pos plastic and will not last very long anyway.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
DFord wrote:
I hope you're not serious.
I am.

Some people use things, others use them up. You're obviously in the latter category.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
CampSight wrote:
Thanks Robert. Totally understand I need to fix the leak. My concern was more of curiosity about why only an intermittent leak....inasmuch as the system is under constant pressure from the city connection. Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Does it only leak when you open either the hot or cold handle? It doesn't sound like your leak is in the incoming piping but the fixture itself. The easiest fix would be to replace the faucet.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Fittings not different than what you have at home. Every time I work on ANY type of water fitting(s) i check it out every couple of days.
On a prior rig i owned i replaced a faucet and double checked for leaks...none. Couple days later I checked and found the frekin thing dripping. Pays to check often.
Nothing worse than finding a puddle under the cabinet soaking into the peruvian presboard!
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee