Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter Output Power Question

KenS999
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

If for example, an RV pure sine wave inverter is rated at 2,000W continuous output power and is equipped with three electrical outlets, would each individual outlet be limited to only 1/3 of the available 2000W or... can a single outlet draw the entire 2000 Watts of available output power, if the remaining two outlets are not used?

Thanks, Ken
15 REPLIES 15

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Definitely the welding cable.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
KenS999 wrote:
What gauge wire would you recommend between 12v batteries and inverter using a 2000 watt inverter? Length of cable run should be under 10 ft. A 900 watt microwave will be the largest appliance I will be running on the inverter. Thanks, Ken

go with 4/0 welding cable for that length and current. Voltage drop is your enemy. welding shop can make up cable and lugs for you.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
2/0 minimum. 4/0 and 400 amp/hr minimum for lead-acid batteries.
Otherwise what does the manual say? 6-10 feet is getting a bit long.

900 watt is probably cooking power. Input power is closer to 1300 to 1500 watts.

KenS999
Explorer
Explorer
What gauge wire would you recommend between 12v batteries and inverter using a 2000 watt inverter? Length of cable run should be under 10 ft. A 900 watt microwave will be the largest appliance I will be running on the inverter. Thanks, Ken

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
unless the inverter outlets are 20A outlets, you won't be able to plug in anything that draws 2000VA anyway 20A, one vertical, one horizontal blade. Very uncommon for home appliances.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

KenS999
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, Ken

MrWizard
I have 2000/4000 PSW watt inverter , i use one socket of the duplex outlet and can power anything i choose, i often use the inverter to heat up food or coffee, i don't know of any home/RV MW that uses more than 1675 watts input for 1100 cooking watts,
In short "you are good to go"
I have run the mw, vacuum cleaner, coffee maker, even my electric impact wrench, 1800w heat gun, hair dryer,
You just need enough battery capacity to supply the needed power
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
KenS999 wrote:
Hello,

If for example, an RV pure sine wave inverter is rated at 2,000W continuous output power and is equipped with three electrical outlets, would each individual outlet be limited to only 1/3 of the available 2000W or... can a single outlet draw the entire 2000 Watts of available output power, if the remaining two outlets are not used?

Thanks, Ken

Most outlets are only rated for 15 amps short term 12.5 long or 1500 watts if you like RV outlets about 2/3 of that safely due to the way they are built. But if you have upgraded to 12 ga wire or bigger feeding 15/20 amp outlets then you can plug a 2,000 watt load into a single outlet and it will be OK.

NOTE: If they are daisy chained like this.
Inverter=====Outlet1=====Outlet2=====Outlet3

Then the first outlet (Outlet1) carries the FULL load of all 3 thorough it's punch down connector.. at 2,000 watts this can start a fire.

Also note that where the inverter puts out Watts. the wires and outlets deliver amps.. Most folks think watts/volts = amps that is not correct for inductive loads like motors IS for resistive loads like heaters. but not for motors (The fan in a forced air heater is not big enough to make a serious difference)

Watts = Volts * Amps * Power factor I've seen some seriously LOW power factors.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are a few that will split the power where there is 50% available at each of two outlets.
Best to post the make and model number before you click and buy.

A top brand will supply full power from a single outlet.

KenS999
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, thanks for confirming that .

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
KenS999 wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply. So if I understand correctly... Each outlet is not relegated to 1/3 of the total power output? Is that correct? I would need to have that available 2000w to only one outlet, to run a microwave.
Thanks, Ken

Correct. You can run a microwave.

I do.
My inverter is wired so it can power all circuits in my electrical panel.

Here's my installation video
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
a very few may combine three small inverters, which does limit the output per plug.

None of mine do that.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think that any outlets are made that are not capable of 15 amps(1800 watts) or more. If there is a single breaker or fuse on the output then the total would be available to any or all outlets. If there are 3 breakers or fuses then they might be divided equally.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

KenS999
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick reply. So if I understand correctly... Each outlet is not relegated to 1/3 of the total power output? Is that correct? I would need to have that available 2000w to only one outlet, to run a microwave.
Thanks, Ken