cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter ?

MandKJohns
Explorer
Explorer
Are inverters necessary if you are not going to be boon docking? My current Dutchmen TT does not have an inverter on it. As stated in my previous post I am fairly new to this life and still trying to learn as much as I can. For now I plan on only camping where there are power hookups.
13 REPLIES 13

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
No, ya don't need one, but if you smart, you have at least a small one, to at the least watch the news on tv at a rest stop, or overniting at a WM.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
MandKJohns wrote:
Mandalay Parr wrote:
Inverter is only used when no shore power.

Thanks.

You can power everything from the inverter same as off-grid and just plug the converter into shore power. This is useful if on 15a and are afraid of popping the breaker for that 15a, where you can't get at it. EG, Visiting someone's house overnight.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
MandKJohns wrote:
For now I plan on only camping where there are power hookups.

I added a 1000 watt PSW inverter to our trailer for those times each season we end up camping without shore power, either because it's failed or at times when the only sites available are dry. Not used often but certainly is handy when we do need it. Pics are in my gallery. ๐Ÿ™‚
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

MrWizard
Weekend camping With hookups, an inverter is not necessary
However they are handy to have when going on trips, or if the park power goes out
Any situation where you do not have 120v for the tv, coffee pot, phone chargers, pc etc..
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
No. You do not need an inverter to camp off-grid.

You do need an inverter if you want 120vac power from your battery.
Or you can use a generator.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
korbe wrote:
We have no need to invert 12v to 120v. We do just fine with our 120v to 12v converter.

Same here. I occasionally need to run my electric shaver but I have a small inverter in my truck for that.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I often use the inverter to power the fridge while traveling. It saves on propane. I do have some solar panels as well.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
As long as you realize the only way you'll have 120vac is by generator.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
If you travel a distance during the day and like to stop for a snack or lunch at a rest area an inverter, even a small inverter is nice. A small inverter on a line with heavy enough wire can work a toaster oven or a coffee pot, or run the TV while on the road for the kids/grandkids.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many never install an inverter since they always have power hookups when RVing, if that is your intention then no reason to have one onboard. In our case, we do lots of RVing off the power grid and one of my very first mods was to install an inverter. Not overly difficult to do, just need to figure out what items you want to power at the same time and add up the watts to properly size the inverter. We actually have 2 inverters that I installed but we primarily use the one intended to run our entertainment center. If you decide you want to install an inverter, check back in and the forum can walk you through the process.

MandKJohns
Explorer
Explorer
Mandalay Parr wrote:

Thanks.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
We have no need to invert 12v to 120v. We do just fine with our 120v to 12v converter.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter