cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kwikee Electric Step Problem

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
On a 2007 Tiffin Allegro the electric step started making a loud grinder type sound and not opening or closing all the way without manual help. The frequency and constant speed of the sound makes me think it is associated with motor gears somehow. It is not coming from the many metal pivot joints that I have now lubricated which did not help much.

I am leaving in a week so I need to fix it. It is the 24" wide Kwikee steps. The Kwikee document that I have did not mention this type of failure. I have watched a few YouTube videos about these. How do you think I should proceed? Should I remove those three bolts to see if the gears are stripped?

thanks very much for any ideas,
2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA
13 REPLIES 13

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased my motor from Amazon for $65. I see it is now $84.

This motor was a direct swap, no adjustments or tweaking needed. In the description, it states it is for steps made 2005 or later.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
On further investigation, I found out there is another AME motor. Some time back and I now believe this is very accurate, the actual part number is 214-1001. The difference is that the three mounting holes are bigger and the shaft is longer. It is available with or without the gear and or wiring harness.

There was a guy that worked there called Butch, he directed several folks to the correct part. The entire motor assembly is 0.3 lbs heaver than 210-1009. I didn't get the spec sheet but I'm sure it is available.

Perhaps what wa8yxm bought was a copy of the 210-1009 motor assembly. Sure looks to be smaller than his original motor assembly.

I misspoke, and I'm now rechecking my records. Back in a minute.

Okay I'm back, I double checked AM Equipment part numbers and I believe that part 210-1009 is the correct part. I also think that the part number is on the phenolic gear casting and AM Engineering specifically says to check the imprinted number before ordering.

They also state that the Kwikee # doesn't work for them and they will not answer any questions about the steps.

I don't know what wa8xym paid for his motor, to me it would not be worth a $20 or $30 savings if I had to "make it fit". His replacement motor may last longer than the AM motor did but I wouldn't trust it or spend the time to make it fit when I could buy the OEM part that fits out of the box.

AM Equipment Spec. page 801-1007 Rev. 0 03/09 showns the correct part to order.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I Recently replaced my Step motor Here is what I found
Ordered the standard window riser motor from Auto Zone no joy

ORdered a different one from on line.. Joy (Simmens or some such)

In this you see all 3 motors the Replacement for the Doorman is on the left NOtice the square hole i the nylong gear and the ROUND shaft

The original is on the right Notice you can not see the nylon gear and the shaft is oval Like the new one in teh center

I had to drill out the bushings on the center one and also the case is thinner so I need to washer up or use shorter bolts.

In this next photos you see the different gears The Left one is for windows and the right one is from my Steps (Still in place)

And another view of the gears. NOTE the number of teeth

The top pin that extends the shaft so the gear has support top and bottom is to the right on the edge of the table

The shaft on the new motor was a bit shorter so I put a small nut on top to extend it

It works

New motor (no gear) was from AM Equipment part number 210-1011 cost 87.41 telephone (541) 327 1546
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
If you remove the 4 screws holding the metal motor cover to the plastic housing, you can slide out the motor. Make sure you mark the position in relationship to the plastic and metal pieces as they are often reinstalled backwards causing the retracting when door is open and extending when door is closed. A clean cloth and solvent will remove the gunk buildup on the worm gear exposing it for inspection. A good cleaning, re-lubricating and Proper reassembly often solves many ills on those steps.

Now a word of caution, depending on your unit, you may have to pay particular attention to the reassembly where the two spring loaded guides (brush) on the shaft are in the proper position. This is a common cause of steps not opening or closing. The the guide will hug the shaft and move in and out opposite each other to ensure the motor remains in a specific working position while spinning freely when working. However a good jolt or other forces can cause just enough of a gap between those two guides on one side for the entire motor to jump put of alignment and not spin freely. So pay attention and make sure it can spin before remounting. I found on my unit that a small rubber bumper epoxy to the end cap area of the metal housing was enough to keep the magnets from moving the motor when the guides hiccuped and allowed enough of a gap to no longer hold the shaft in the exact position needed to have the steps move in and out.

So, you'll be surprised how much a cleaning and greasing/lubricating can restore full function to those steps.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
"When reassembling, do the gears have to put in sync somehow with the current position of the step? Or does it all operate by hitting a hard stop?"

You have to set the motor/gearbox up so that you can insert the pin/cotter pin that holds the bent arm on the stair linkage within the travel of the stairs. That's it. The electronic motor controller senses motor direction and when the stairs are at the end of their upper and lower travel limits. Be careful when putting the motor/gear drive back in. It is easy to pinch hands/fingers in the stair levers and linkage. Support the weight of the stairs so that they don't swing free when the linkage is disconnected. Connect the multi-point pin connector (the power) last. Next time, it's much easier.

Chum lee

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks All!

I see the metal gears look fine. I will have to assume the worm gear on the motor (plastic?) is bad which would make that kind of sound. I do not have those clip removal pliers to take it apart. I will get a new motor assembly.

When reassembling, do the gears have to put in sync somehow with the current position of the step? Or does it all operate by hitting a hard stop?

2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Step Motor Improvement Kits

Dorman Window Lift Motor 742-251 at Autozone

Take your complete old step motor into Autozone and see if it matches this one.

It's a simple swap to change the gear from the old one to the new one and swap the connector plug - you're back in business. There are 3 plastic discs under the cover that sometimes crumble. They're there to transmit power from the worm gear driven gear to the output gear. I'll bet yours are nothing but a bunch of course granules now.

See also: > KWIKEE STEP MOTOR REPLACEMENT SERIES 32
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

map40
Explorer
Explorer
The grinding is the gears in the motor.
The motor assembly has a part number, or the step assembly has a part number. Look on Amamzon for the motor, and you will find the motor with the plastic head (not the gears).
You could buy the motor in an autoparts store but that would be a 3-4 hour job to figure out how to do it, when for $10 more you buy the motoro with the plastic head assembled.
You can remove and install in 5 minutes.
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Pull the complete drive assembly off the frame shown in your photo and take it apart. You will see immediately if the problem is the gear drive, or the motor, or both, or neither. All the parts are available.

Chum lee

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
I saw sellers on Amazon with those motors when I had to replace mine last week. Mine was a different style motor.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
The motor you have and the only replacement I am sure of is from AM Equipment in Oregon. The phone number is 541 327 1546. I don't remember who to ask to speak to but they make the motor and will sell it directly to you. I believe the motor is part number 210-1009. When you remove the motor you can check.

If you can get to the four 1/4-20 nuts that hold the entire assembly to the steps, remove the entire assembly. I find it easier to R&R the motor at the bench than laying on your back.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
fred42,

The motor, I believe, is a standard power window motor (maybe Ford?) and available from autoparts stores probably cheaper than the Kwikee part. I've never had to change mine, but perhaps someone here can give you some assistance with the part number. I don't know if the motor also includes the gear case as well.

The one thing I CAN tell you is to be very, very careful when working around those steps. NEVER put fingers, hands or any other appendage anywhere near the step action area UNLESS you've disconnected power to the steps and are 100% sure they cannot move. The scissor action of those bars quite possibly could sever fingers. So, be VERY careful.

Good Luck,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
I had to replace the Kwikee step motor in our 2009 Class C in 2017, right before we traded it in. The steps would not open without help and then just quit. Ours did not make any unusual noise. When I removed the original motor, the gears looked fine. Replacing the motor is a relatively quick and easy job. There are plenty of YouTube videos showing how to replace it.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)