cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaky slide or what?

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
The floor was spongy near the rear of the trailer and when I peeled up the linoleum I found a lot of wet plywood. I have no idea where the water came from. The shelving under the sink is dry. Can the slide leak (no topper) if left open in the rain? I can fix the floor, but how do I trace the leak? Ideas? Leaking condensate from the fridge maybe?
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch
13 REPLIES 13

QCMan
Nomad III
Nomad III

Did you get it fixed?

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
I have an '01 jayco and found it easy to remove the cabinets as they were set in place as a whole unit and then screwed to the walls and floors with square drive fasteners. Sometimes the head of the screw was hard to see.

If they are stapled it's a bit more difficult.

My arctic fox is also screwed together.
Joe & Evelyn

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
TBammer wrote:
I think I got it. I started turning on the faucets and when I turned on the outdoor shower there was a sizable drip (stream?!?) on the inside of the fixture housing up under the kitchen sink. I can get that fixed easy enough, but now I'm left with the choice of basically tearing out everything at the back of the trailer (Cabinets, oven, microwave (to get the pantry out)sink, countertops) to do the floor under that part or just fixing the floor where we walk. I'm not afraid of work but I don;t want to get in over my head. Anybody ever do such an extensive renovation. What's involved in getting the oven out?

Glad you found it!

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
I think I got it. I started turning on the faucets and when I turned on the outdoor shower there was a sizable drip (stream?!?) on the inside of the fixture housing up under the kitchen sink. I can get that fixed easy enough, but now I'm left with the choice of basically tearing out everything at the back of the trailer (Cabinets, oven, microwave (to get the pantry out)sink, countertops) to do the floor under that part or just fixing the floor where we walk. I'm not afraid of work but I don;t want to get in over my head. Anybody ever do such an extensive renovation. What's involved in getting the oven out?
2019 Arctic Fox 25W

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
You mentioned the frig. Our frig vent was leaking and we didn't know until it rained a lot, really hard. The walking barefoot realized the floor at front edge of frig was wet. There was a lot of water ! Sealed vent and not more problem. Yes - your slides can leak. Ours do if we are not level.

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Also...check your water heater area if you can get your arm and hand back there and see if it is wet.

Check the outside caulk on W/H. The caulk can break down or may need new butyl tape and then caulk. Make sure inside the tank compartment has big glops of caulk on any pin hole areas on the bottom.

Check for rusted screws...another sign of water intrusion.

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:
What is near the rear of the trailer?

The water heater? A stove vent?

Can you post a picture.

I found a picture of slide side. Is your Fridge Panel there? Have you removed it? Is the Fridge hose dripping, is it caulked well, rain can get in there.

I also saw outside shower...did you check that?

Also, rain can get in your outside stove vent exhaust if it is not caulked properly...it will come in and run down the inside wall and pool whichever way the trailer is leveled.

Take bottom stove false panel off and see if it is wet in there.

All great tips, thanks. I got some work to do.
2019 Arctic Fox 25W

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
What is near the rear of the trailer?

The water heater? A stove vent?

Can you post a picture.

I found a picture of slide side. Is your Fridge Panel there? Have you removed it? Is the Fridge hose dripping, is it caulked well, rain can get in there.

I also saw outside shower...did you check that?

Also, rain can get in your outside stove vent exhaust if it is not caulked properly...it will come in and run down the inside wall and pool whichever way the trailer is leveled.

Take bottom stove false panel off and see if it is wet in there.

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
I did have a gap open up around the taillight housings that I caulked up this year, but not sure how long it was there.
2019 Arctic Fox 25W

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Another source of leaks can be through the tail lights and or the running lights.

Pull the slide out and spray around it with a hose....simulating rain. Have someone inside watch...
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
Ya, seals look ok
2019 Arctic Fox 25W

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Have you inspected the seals (wipers) on the top and sides of the slide-out?

If they are deteriorating or crimped, not lying flat, water can get in.