cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lightweight Electric Drill Suggestions?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I have a heavy-duty Dremel 1/8" tool but it is forlorn for drilling small diameter holes in non metal material. Fitting various size drills into that chuck is beyond me.

I was given a used DeWalt cordless screwdriver but I am unsure if I can use a variety of drills (with an adapter?). It needs a Li-Ion battery

The problem is old-age, my hands and four pound drills used for precise hole making from 1/16" to say 3/16". Like using a jackhammer to pound a nail.

I would love to use a hobby drill-press but many items I drill just don't fit.

Paying $80 for a 1/4" drill makes sense only if the drill would be significantly lighter than a 3/8" drill.

I'm missing something here and I'd rather ask the community than do something really dumb and expensive...
29 REPLIES 29

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at the WORX line of drills. They come with 20 amp LI batteries and are quite light. Pretty reasonably priced as well.
John A. Lichty

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
THAT kind of money for a quarter-inch drill ain't in the Tarot deck.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

CRL Milwaukee 1/4" Electric Drill
Item Information
Condition:
New
Quantity:
3 available
Price:
US $305.22
Buy It Now
Since you are the O.P., are you replying to your own question? :?

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have two battery operated drills (Well three actually) one is a small 8.x volt "Screwdriver" has a quarter inch hex receiver so it takes screwdriver bits and a whole lot of different drills as well.. Though some of the drills are not that good (more on that in a second).

The other is eitehr a quarter or 3/8" standard "Drill" with the regular chuck It too can use the hex shafted drill bits or screwdriver bits. But it's way harder to use so I only use it when I need the greater power of the detachable battery.

I mentioned the drills.. had a job to do on the RV where I needed to poke 11 quarter inch holes.. So I got a pair (good thing too) of the hex shafted quarter inch titanium steel high speed bits. Worked great till the bit jammed and the hex pasrt just started turning on the shaft.

I finally had to draw the hex off and chuck the bit in the drill the old fashion way. But the drill I was using.. Well he had the power to do that.

Sadly i've seen that in a lot of the hex shafted bits.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

George_H
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not wading through the snow to check model. Have a 9 volt Makita 1/4" that has served me well for several years, adapter available to use standard bits.
George, Juanita and Mandie (boss Shar-Pei)
01 F350, PSD, DRW
05 Carri-Lite 32RS3

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a cheap Harbor Freight drill motor to use polishing my rims. 19 bucks and it is a really nice drill

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Item Information
Condition:
New
Quantity:
3 available
Price:
US $305.22
Buy It Now

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If that is the Milwaukee 0101-20 7 Amp 1/4-Inch Drill, then it is $198 on US Amazon, tho why you would pay that much for a 1/4 drill motor is a mystery to me. It's a corded drill anyway not cordless. The Dewalt is $146.

I did find this: DEWALT DCF610S2 12-Volt Max 1/4-Inch Screwdriver Kit for $94. It has a 1/4 chuck and is light weight.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Dremel also makes a 4 collet set for use with their rotory tools that allows use of smaller than 1/8 bits. Only costs a few bucks.

Collet set

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
The Keyless chuck for a dremel, and the dremel 90 degree attachement, is an
amazingly capable and precise tool for holes less than 1/8" diameter.

I have only removed my 90 degree dremel attachment once, since purchase. The level of control with it is several fold to that without it. I don;t care how fast it wears out. It has not yet despite a LOT of abusive use. When it breaks I will, within the hour, order the same exact replacement.

The dremel without the 90 degree attachement, is well less than half the tool. I've used mine almost every day this last week.

https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-575-Right-Attachment-Rotary/dp/B00005AXI0/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1519548872&sr=8-1&keywords=dremel+90+degree
Put the adjusable chuck n this and laugh laugh laugh at how you used to try to accomplish things without such an option.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

Item Information
Condition:
New
Quantity:
3 available
Price:
US $305.22
Buy It Now

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well for that matter I have a old 12V Porter-Cable drill but they are all 3/8 inch and I got the impression that he wanted something smaller. I don't recall seeing any 1/4 cordless drills lately. Do they still make them.

The P-C is great but I have a lot of Dewalt power tools including a 1/2 18V drill and they have all been good. I did in a fit of madness order a 18V Dewalt recipro saw that flatlined the battery in a matter of a couple of minutes. That type of tool just uses too much power for cordless IMO. Amazon took it back tho so no complaints on my part.

I have looked at the 12V Dewalt 3/8 but the P-C keeps spinning away so I don't have an excuse to buy one. Rigid is another good brand as is Milwaukee, they are expensive tho. I avoid Black & Decker and Makita both seem to be on the cheap junk side these days. Ryobi I would buy if it was something I did not expect to use much. They are cheaper but I doubt their longevity.
Superbumper

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago I bought a pair of really small, light weight Ridgid 12 volt lithium ion cordless drills, Model R82007, and find them invaluable for utility use around the house when I don't need the power of my much larger & heavier 18 volt DeWalt. I carry one in the camper and although only rated @ 120 in-lbs this drill easily raises and lowers my stabs. :B

I believe this particular model is no longer available new, though no doubt could be bought used on eBay, etc. It's been replaced by the Ridgid 9000K drill & driver set. The driver I wouldn't have much use for but the drill is torque rated @ 400 in-lbs yet it's still much smaller than an 18 volt. Great drills. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

I have a fleet of Dewalt Li-Ion drills, 20V and 12V
The 12V are surprisingly powerful, yet compact and lightweight. Easy to handle, and small enough to get into tight work areas.
Highly recommend them.

Dewalt 12V drills
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you used one of these chucks on your dremel: Keyless chucks

I use one on my rockwell tool and it works well, not sure if it will suit your application tho.
Superbumper