cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loud buzzing when applying brake

steelshooter
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 Fleetwood 325rkts. I have never had previous issues. Now I have purchased a 2020 GMC 2500. After connecting the camper to check lights I have a loud buzzing coming from under the cabinet in the kitchen. Thisw only happens when i apply the brakes. I removed the access panel only to find a hole in the floor with some wires going under the floor. The buzzing noise is coming from here not the brakes. Everything works properly except for this buzzing noise. Anyone have a clue what this may be before I have to remove the rear stabilizers and belly cover to see what is going on. Thanks for your help. Feel free to put this in the proper forum
Larry
19 REPLIES 19

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
wnjj wrote:
The box probably has relays inside and from what I’m reading online, it’s possible that 2019 and newer GM trucks may be sending PWM (pulse width modulated) signals on the lighting circuits. That would cause all kinds of havoc with relays connected to the line.

There are people having issues with backup cameras powered from the running lights.

You may have to replace the box with a solid state equivalent.

This was my guess as well. Not much you can do to get around it.
Take a video of the tail lights while it's buzzing and you may be able to see them flicker.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
The box probably has relays inside and from what I’m reading online, it’s possible that 2019 and newer GM trucks may be sending PWM (pulse width modulated) signals on the lighting circuits. That would cause all kinds of havoc with relays connected to the line.

There are people having issues with backup cameras powered from the running lights.

You may have to replace the box with a solid state equivalent.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
steelshooter wrote:
Doug, Was able to find the box causing the buzzing. Looks like something you were refrencing. The box does split the stop and emergency lights to make the 3rd stop light work. I dont really know why it is there, I am not seeing it on new campers.It doesnt look like GM is going to be able to tell me what was done to cause this to happen with the new truck. I am either going to have to put up with it or rewire the lights on the camper.Thank you for responding. Larry

It is there, because if NOT INSTALLED, every time you turned on the Left or Right turn signals, the center Brake light would come on and flash also. The diode "Sees" that BOTH left and Right brake lights are engaged at the same time and then routes the 12 volt signal to the center Brake Light. If it only sees 1 turn signal, it knows to not power the center light. Read This link for better understanding. Doug

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/118158.html

steelshooter
Explorer
Explorer
Doug, Was able to find the box causing the buzzing. Looks like something you were refrencing. The box does split the stop and emergency lights to make the 3rd stop light work. I dont really know why it is there, I am not seeing it on new campers.It doesnt look like GM is going to be able to tell me what was done to cause this to happen with the new truck. I am either going to have to put up with it or rewire the lights on the camper.Thank you for responding. Larry

steelshooter
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler, Apply 12 volt is not a bad idea, but as stated before this does not happen when connected to earlier model trucks. I had a 2013 that i pulled the camper with for 6 years with no noise. I dont think it is a back up buzzer as it did not buzz while backing on the other trucks. My dad pulled the same camper with a 2006 GMC my 2013 was a Chevy and I just tried a 2019 GMC Denali, like mine except mine is 2020, and it worked as expected. I am still working on the tail light question. I started removing the rubber around the tail light but didnt know if the light would fall into the end cap since I did not see any screws holding it. Thanks for the WAG though.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Also normally equipment can be reached for maintenance. Have you remove the stop lights to check?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
steelshooter wrote:
Doug, There is an LED Stop light bar installed. It may not be factory but the back cap has an indentation for the light bar to recess into the cap. The response to the diode splitter sounds like what is actually happening. The noise seems to be located half way between the stop light bar and the right tail light. I believe it is in the cavity between the cap and the frame, thus I can not see from inside the camper or from under the trailer when I drop the belly cover. You are also correct about checking the system before we travel. Also if pyoung47 were to hear this in a campground he would hear it every time I put it into hit the brake to park the camper. It is actually that obnoxious.
I'd check the voltage at the lights. Plus apply 12V (not the GMC brake wire) to the cord. Do you have the noise?

Hard to image diodes or LEDs making any audible noise.

My WAG is you're hearing a backup buzzer on the camper due to miswiring.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

steelshooter
Explorer
Explorer
Doug, There is an LED Stop light bar installed. It may not be factory but the back cap has an indentation for the light bar to recess into the cap. The response to the diode splitter sounds like what is actually happening. The noise seems to be located half way between the stop light bar and the right tail light. I believe it is in the cavity between the cap and the frame, thus I can not see from inside the camper or from under the trailer when I drop the belly cover. You are also correct about checking the system before we travel. Also if pyoung47 were to hear this in a campground he would hear it every time I put it into hit the brake to park the camper. It is actually that obnoxious.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
pyoung47 wrote:
I think I can speak for the majority in saying I haven’t been inside the camper when the brakes were applied.

The OP was doing what most do NOT do. He was checking out the RV systems BEFORE he traveled and heard that buzzing. He then went inside to determine where the noise was coming from. Doug

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
I think I can speak for the majority in saying I haven’t been inside the camper when the brakes were applied.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
LED light Bar. Is this the BRAKE LIGHT in the center of the back wall? If so, that was NOT installed on your year model. To make a center Brake Light work correctly, when it was installed they would have installed a diode splitter to turn the Center Brake light ON only when BOTH Left and Right rear brake lights would come on. So, that would have been installed in the rear area where your noise is coming from. Hazard lights do the same thing as pushing on the Brake Pedal. Doug

steelshooter
Explorer
Explorer
Update, I have now determined that the buzzing also occurs when the hazard lights flash. Buzzes each time the lights come on.It does not do it with blinkers. I pulled down the belly cover but the water tank is in the way. After really listening I am not sure the sound is not coming from behind the rear cap. So, is this some kind of relay that controls the tail lights and LED light bar during braking and hazard operation. Thank you for helping.

steelshooter
Explorer
Explorer
Doug, I only have the issue during braking, the noise is not coming from the brakes. I will have to remove the led stop light to prove the problem but it seems this is where the noise is coming from. Thank you for your response

steelshooter
Explorer
Explorer
I have not been able to connect back to the camper due to rain, bit I believe the issue is an LED stop light in the center back of the camper. I have not been able to connect to another camper. I can try that when the weather clears up.Thank you for your response