Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Main slide issue on one side

AirBiscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

I'm having issues with my main super slide. When bringing the slide back in it's as if one of the motors loses power or the communication signal is lost. So the one side just stops. I then release the button (this happens regardless if I'm using the manual switch or the button on the remote control) and extend it back out fully with no problem. I then bring it in and same thing happens on the same motor every time.

I have gotten around this by pressing the button for about 3 seconds at a time bringing the slide in incrementally then releasing the button. I repeat this until the slide is in. This obviously takes a long time and is not ideal. But the motor doesn't lose power for those 3 second intervals. Only when I keep the button pressed down does the motor seem to lose power and stop. This causes the slide to start getting out of time so I have to extend it back out all the way again to start over again.

And the motor doesn't ever seem to lose power when the slide is extending out. Only when coming in. What is going on here?

Thank you for any suggestions,
Chris
14 REPLIES 14

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
I just kind of scanned all the answers that you got. Sounds like you may have a Schwinntec slide. If so, you motors are not synced..
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Have you tried bringing in the slide with manual override?

greenno
Explorer
Explorer
Having (2) 6 volt battery's connected in parallel is part of your problem.
Im sure you meant series connections for your 12v system correct?
Battery's have probably reached their lifespan but that's just me.
Since you have had an ongoing alignment issue thats probably key to your motor glitch.
Maybe that motor isn't properly aligned and it causes it to bind when retracting back in causing a small OL and then when load is off breaker resets until you do it again.

Find a good Electrician and have him check your amperage draw on that motor when it shuts off, probably drawing more than it should.

AirBiscuit
Explorer
Explorer
IB853347201 wrote:
AirBiscuit wrote:
IB853347201 wrote:
Sounds like a low 12V voltage problem. How old are your batteries?

Iโ€™m plugged into 50 amp shore power at home.

Being plugged in to 50 amp shore power won't solve a low 12 volt issue caused by low batteries. If your slide is powered by 12 volt motors, they rely on extra amps provided by your house batteries. How old are your batteries?

I would say about 4-5 years old. I have 2 6-volt golf cart batteries in parallel. No other slides (2 others) are affected by this. I donโ€™t think itโ€™s a power issue. Iโ€™m still leaning toward a controller problem. Have some more troubleshooting to do.

I just had the whole rack replaced last year due to extreme binding and stripped gears. It was doing this even before that repair. I may just have to bring it back for service once again.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
IB853347201 wrote:
plugged in to 50 amp shore power won't solve a low 12 volt issue caused by low batteries.
Why would only one motor suffer?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
AirBiscuit wrote:
IB853347201 wrote:

Being plugged in to 50 amp shore power won't solve a low 12 volt issue caused by low batteries. If your slide is powered by 12 volt motors, they rely on extra amps provided by your house batteries. How old are your batteries?
2010 Suncruiser

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
You say when it stops you have to extend it all the way out and then bring it back in. Have you tried extending it only a few inches after it stops and then try to bring it in again? Auto resetting circuit breakers take at least 30 seconds to reset. So if it stops and you can extend it for an inch or two and then immediately try to retract it and it moves in that inch or two and stops; Then there is no problem with power.

Can you bring it in to a point just before it normally stops and let go of the button. Then count to 10 to let things cool and then try to bring it the rest of the way in?

To me it just doesn't sound like an overheat or circuit breaker problem. I'm guessing it's more something like the fabric underbelly or a wiring bundle or whatever is getting snagged and bunching up when you bring it in. Then you have to extend fully to stretch whatever it is back out. If that's the case then my suggestion above of reversing a few inches and then trying to retract it will have it stop at the same spot as the obstruction is still there. Maybe have somebody bring in the slide while you look underneath the affected side and see if anything is getting in the way. Don't forget this could also be something inside that is hanging up as well. Maybe the carpet is bunching up under it and eventually jamming it up.

When you do the 3 second bursts whatever is snagging is able to relax and release and you get to bring it in.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

AirBiscuit
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Not sure what RV you have, but the breakers I speak of are auto resetting. I have two, just inside my basement wall of my FW, maybe 2-3' from battery box. One is for large slide, other is for landing gear.

I have a Jayco Eagle 5th wheel. Thanks I will look for something like that once I get a warmer day again.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Not sure what RV you have, but the breakers I speak of are auto resetting. I have two, just inside my basement wall of my FW, maybe 2-3' from battery box. One is for large slide, other is for landing gear.

AirBiscuit
Explorer
Explorer
IB853347201 wrote:

AirBiscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there,

If the issue was a cutoff switch or circuit breaker wouldnโ€™t these need to be manually reset each time in order for the slide to function at all? I canโ€™t see it being a heat thing since itโ€™s only moving a few inches from a complete cold start and 40 degrees outside. I canโ€™t see heat forming that much in the few seconds it runs before stopping.

Iโ€™m wondering if maybe the controller is failing.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like a low 12V voltage problem. How old are your batteries? Is your engine running when you operate the slide?
2010 Suncruiser

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Agree, most times motor works harder to retract than extend.

It could be the resettable circuit breaker tripping from load stress, but just adding load a little bit at a time, works. These do weaken over time/use, and are normally located not far from battery.

Jerry

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Check the thermal cutoff switches..if you have them. I'm guessing the motor has to work harder bringing it in.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman