cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Model PD9280A converter problems

Travel_glampers
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to replace the above original converter in my fiver (with same model converter). The first attempt resulted in 0 volts DC coming out of the converter, with it being plugged into 120 volts AC (meter check shows 120 volts). The second converter, again being plugged into 120 volts, showed 8.4 volts coming out. Per the Progressive Dynamics (PD) tech, it should be putting out 13.6 volts. So I have paid to send both converters back to PD, so they can check them out. I am on my second set of new deep cycle batteries. Also have replaced land line to 30 amp house outlet, twist outlet on fiver this line hooks to, and the 120 volt 20 amp outlet the converter plugs into. Has anyone else experienced similar problems? Is there something(s) I'm missing?
20 REPLIES 20

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Note when checking voltages in and out measure at the Converter's connections. If you measure 120 volt at the breaker.. that is no guarantee it is getting to the converter (I had that problem with my Air Conditioners. 120 volt at the termional on teh breaker, nothing on the wire stuck in the clamp as the screw was loose.. had it with my converter too, it was a 'P' Model (plug in) plug out.

Likewise measure at the converter, and the batteires. that would have found the problem "Downline" of the converter.

I also like to use test lights when I can rather than meters. Put like a one amp load on the line

Had one wire in my RV once 13.6 measured on one end. close to it on the other with the high impedeance meter... NOTHING with the light... Yup one solid length of wire The problem was about 1-1.5 feet from the battery... Cut and spliced and all good.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Travel_glampers
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed. Dennis/PD went the extra mile to get me straightened out. I recommend them highly.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
I had the GOOD Fortune to deal with Dennis a couple years back on a new start camper build with LiFePO4 batt - He is a solid 100% EXPERT, so be sure and trust his sage guidance!

3 tons

Travel_glampers
Explorer
Explorer
Per guidance from Dennis at PD, I am replacing the CB with a manual reset Buzzman CB 185 series 100 amp.

Thanks for all the help!!

Travel_glampers
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in Maryland. Getting great guidance from Dennis at PD. Thanks

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have only installed one replacement PD converter (a 9180 and I reused the charge wizard dongle)

NOTE with the 9280 you use either no dongle or a different one.

I do not know where you are but PD is located in Marshall, Michigan.

Google Maps: Brooks Memorial Fountain, Marshall MI
Then slide south to Industrial (road or whatever) not very far at all

They are on the corner
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Travel_glampers
Explorer
Explorer
Ok thanks.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get rid of that fire starter. Replace with a 100 amp Hi-Amp Bussman.

80 amp converter feeding the battery through a 50 amp shortstop is only trouble.

Travel_glampers
Explorer
Explorer
I'm replacing the relay (shortstop 12v s49 50a). It's reading 13.7v at one post and 11.3v at the other.

Travel_glampers
Explorer
Explorer
PD checked both converters out. Both checked out fine. I received one back and installed it. Dennis at PD went the extra mile trouble shooting with me. Got consistent 120 volts at outlet converter plugs into (removed surge protector which showed some arching). 13.7 volts coming out of converter. Positive line running to battery compartment, hooks to a relay (I believe). The second post of the relay has a positive line running on to the batteries, with several other smaller lines hooked to it. Several years ago this thing started clicking. As it clicks the voltage at the battery posts changes from 11.3 volts to 12.5 volts, and back again. Is this caused by a bad relay? Called Jayco tech support and was told to take it to a dealer. My trustworthy dealer has retired and closed up shop, unfortunately.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Travel glampers wrote:
PD tech told me it didn't matter if the battery leads were hooked to the converter or not, to test the voltage going to the batteries. I believe I got 0 volts with the leads unhooked on first converter. And 8.4 volts on the second converter, with the leads hooked up.

Yes if the battery is ok, but if the battery has a bad cell or something, it can skew the voltage showing at the converter when they are connected.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well it has been a year of bad luck. Hopefully PD has a working replacement on the way soon.

Travel_glampers
Explorer
Explorer
PD tech told me it didn't matter if the battery leads were hooked to the converter or not, to test the voltage going to the batteries. I believe I got 0 volts with the leads unhooked on first converter. And 8.4 volts on the second converter, with the leads hooked up.

Travel_glampers
Explorer
Explorer
30 amp house outlet is on one breaker and shows 120v. Surge protector shows no problem with polarity. Measured 120 volts at outlet converters plug into. I purchased the first replacement through Amazon. When it showed 0 voltage output I contacted PD. They sent me a replacement, which showed 8.4 volt output. Sent both back to them, to be checked. They should have received them this morning. The batteries are brand new/12 volt. I charged the previous set of new batteries up with separate chargers. They then showed 12+ volts. The current set of new batteries showed 12 volts when installed. I've checked the fuses on the converters and have not found any burnt. We'll see what PD says. Agree these are very highly rated converters.