cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Motor Snorkel tri-fuel kit

Big_Love
Explorer
Explorer
Any one have experience with these kits?

Many of us have Honda or Yamaha Gensets that run on gasoline only, and would like to have the option of running on propane as well. The Motor Snorkel kit from US Carburetor seems to make this very easy.

In my case, I have two Honda eu2000 gens that apparently can be easily fit with these snorkels, and possibly even run together off the same propane source.
11 REPLIES 11

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I like the dream of me spending the rest of my days over a field of sweet natural gas and replacing the Kubota with a 12-turn Worthington natural gas engine. It's a beautiful dream except interruptions of winning the Power Ball lottery keep screwing up the natural gas monster air conditioning 24/7 scenario. Natural gas is great. Down here LPG caburaccion is around $3.70 gallon. Just too expensive.

rv_maniac1
Explorer
Explorer
I got my Eu2000 Kit From Century Fuel Products. Its an awesome kit! It comes with everything you need. Check them Out.

EU2000is Propane Conversion Kit

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
SaltiDawg wrote:
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:
The Champion dual fuel gen is 7000 running watts on gasoline and 6300 running watts on propane......that means 10% loss for propane. Wonder where 40%came from?

And many of us on the forum I inked to above reported little or no loss.

Also, the snorkel on my unit does not interfere with the choke plate using were I to desire to use gasoline again. I shall never use gasoline again. (Mine is in a residential backup situation - I am not an RVer.)

I thought I was disappointed my setup was not trifuel, but like you I don't want to go back to gas
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:
The Champion dual fuel gen is 7000 running watts on gasoline and 6300 running watts on propane......that means 10% loss for propane. Wonder where 40%came from?

And many of us on the forum I inked to above reported little or no loss.

Also, the snorkel on my unit does not interfere with the choke plate using were I to desire to use gasoline again. I shall never use gasoline again. (Mine is in a residential backup situation - I am not an RVer.)

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
Big Love wrote:
I did do a search on many forums, and have not seen any that specifically address the Honda eu2000, specifically if trying to run both gennys simultaneously. Was hoping that someone had done this mod and could share experience.

I think its just like gas, each has their own feed line from the propane tank. I think you could put in a T this side of the tank regulator to feed both gens. I put a T in for my Onan after the autoswitching regulator on my FW. then to the electric valve, then to the low pressure regulator, then to the snorkel fitting

you 'might' have to get a bigger tank regulator.. depends on how many BTUs the current one will provide and what 2xgen depend will be.
I bought an adjustable regulator, but didn't need it.

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
Big Love wrote:
Any one have experience with these kits?

Many of us have Honda or Yamaha Gensets that run on gasoline only, and would like to have the option of running on propane as well. The Motor Snorkel kit from US Carburetor seems to make this very easy.

In my case, I have two Honda eu2000 gens that apparently can be easily fit with these snorkels, and possibly even run together off the same propane source.

I have the snorkel kit on a Onan 7kw genset.. this thing is easy..
it is bi-fuel for me, as the snorkel blocks the choke plate, so you can't use gas while the snorkel is installed.

that hard part with two generators is the Impco Garretson Kn Low Pressure Regulator, you will have two, one for each gen. They are just bulky. Their value is the flow stops when the gen stops sucking on the carb snorkel.

I added electric flow valves too..

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
Big Love,

I have the snorkel kit on my portable 7500 Watt Generator. After the break in of my engine, I have used propane exclusively. The common wisdom is that you may see a small loss in power compared to gasoline - certainly nothing approaching 40% has been previously reported. (I could not measure any difference.)

To get an answer for your specific generators, goto: US Carb Forum

This forum has likely covered your situation and if not, ask away.

People that don't burn propane tend to want to point to the fact that propane or NG will produce a reduced power out... the fact that both fuels are already in gaseous form when they enter the carb tends to offset any reduction in energy density.

Sorry I could not answer your specific question.

Big_Love
Explorer
Explorer
I did do a search on many forums, and have not seen any that specifically address the Honda eu2000, specifically if trying to run both gennys simultaneously. Was hoping that someone had done this mod and could share experience.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
please do a search, been answered many times.

Oh...and I measured full output on my Yamaha running on propane and natural gas. Engine must have extra power to compensate for power loss.

So don't assume that you will not be able to get full power from your generator, this will depend on the generator itself.

I've been very happy with my tri-fuel generator...no draw backs in having fuel options.

Last power outage, lasted 48 hours (hurricane) plugged my generator into my natural gas line at home and cranked it up. Very happy.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
General Hint
I discovered to my rude surprise I had to be very patient when installing new or converting to LPG. Keep tweaking the mixture control and after grinding your teeth for ten minutes the engine will start. Hidden drawback. Operating on gasoline then switching to alternative fuel. Gasoline in carb will gum. Figure out how to use Sta-Bil.

Wonderful to be able to use natural gas if possuble. Re-calculate max potential watts output X 60% due to degraded motor horsepower. Natural gas seems to ne THE way to go for long power outages. LPG exhaust has a sweetish odor, natural gas less so.

This sure didn't answer yoir question about a specific product. ๐Ÿ™‚