cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mounting a small amplifier under cabinet?

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III

Bought Fosi BT20A , like it so far.  To my ear it beats an average home theater receiver, being also very small. The only good place is under cabinet.  I am out of ideas how to mount it.  I could buy a plastic clamshell similar to one holding my RV radio under the cabinet but this shell is huge, Fosi is tiny, 4" x 1.6" front, 6" deep front to back, weighs 1 lb.  It's all metal, no vent holes, does get warm, not hot.

Are there any thick double-side adhesive strips to leave a spacing 1/4" or so from the cabinet and hold it without shaking?  Eventually I could make an ugly plywood tray and paint it black but maybe there is an easier way?

7 REPLIES 7

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad

Are the feet removable? Might be able to attach the brackets there if they do. Sometimes you can pry out a rubber plug to find a screw.

'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

PatJ
Explorer II
Explorer II

Yes, high quality industrial double-sided table like 3M VHB is available thick, like 1/4" or so. That will do what you want and last forever doing it. Another option is high-quality industrial Velcro which may even be better in this case.  Go to Grainger or Fastenal, not Hobby Lobby or Wal-Mart, and tell them what you want. It's available and will do what you need for this. 

Patrick

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III

Which one you think would hold it more steady, 1/4" double sided tape or same thickness Velcro?  I'm not worried about it falling down soon - maybe with time, when the glue deteriorates.  But I'm touching the amplifier often, adjusting the volume or flipping the switch on/off, it has no remote.  Volume and other controls are small, I don't want it to move/shake under my fingers.

3M VHB tape holds the structure together in the world's tallest hotel, the Burj Al Arab in Dubai, UAE which has been standing since 1999. It holds the aluminum exterior skin on Walt Disney's concert hall in LA.  Heat from an RV will not be an issue. Strength over time (at least to 25 yrs) will not be an issue. Follow the instructions and enjoy. 

Patrick

I have been looking at thoes also..  although for home use as a internet radio/bluetooth etc..  

the only thing I worry about using tape is the heat that builds up in RV's when we are not using them, heat and extreem cold would be the undooing of most tapes I have tried so I wouldnt totaly trust tape myself.  

is it easy to open up the case for that? if it is, and you have the space insice I would drill 1 or two holes in the case that you can put a bolt or two through and bolt it to a surface.  that would be the cleanest install the second option I would look at is building a housing that it is captured in out of wood that ataches to the surface after you slide it in place..   the third would be bent acrylic you can use to squeeze it against a surfica as you mentioned in your original post.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

I've been playing all these scenarios in my head, believe it or not.  Other than 2 bolts from inside the casing all seem to be a pain, with my modest fabricating skills.  Will see if I can open the case.  Yes, extreme heat in a closed RV is what I've been worried about, with tapes.  Foam and semi-cured things like that adhesive don't like heat.  "Out of wood"... like I wrote, I could make some ugly tray 🙂 ...

One option seems doable to me is to attach it similarly to my solar panels only upside down. 2 angles back to back make a Z-bracket, bottom of Z support the device, one on the left and one on the right - here I could use a sticky tape.  Top of each Z is screwed to the cab like that clamshell that holds my radio now.  For solar I used slotted angle profiles, for this device I have 1x1 fiberglass profiles, epoxy would hold  the profiles together, but they are red 🙂

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III

Thanks!