cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My generac diesel generator only runs with prime button

artr1955
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel generator only runs with prime button held down model 004270-3.
Oil level and coolant are fine as the breaker and 14 amp fuse. The thing that perplexed me is why it runs about 30 second after running after priming, it will run if holding down the start button.
Artr1955
Art 15 year old son
1990 31 ft Allegro
2005 Jeep Liberty
two 73 r/75 BMW motorcycles
2002 Kawasaki Voyager
13 REPLIES 13

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
If it is a Quiet Pac 75D, No AC voltage from Alternator.
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
My440.... Had that happen with a Honda 2000.. Would only run for a short time (it was the park's not mine) park workers were at the "Tearing their hair out" point when I spoke up and fixed it for 'em "Did you open the fuel cap vent valve?"

That's all it took.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

my440
Explorer III
Explorer III
Same problem I had would only stay running while priming. Discovered by accident it ran fine with the fuel cap off. Turned out to be a clogged fuel cap vent hole.

bounder39zman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey, what can I say...I guess I am just a ""capitalist....and since my post was not addressed to you, you probably did the right thing by not reading it...probably would have bored you anyway

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
bounder39zman wrote:
THE PREVIOUS POST PRETTY MUCH COVERS ALL TH POSSIBLE PROBLEMS FOR YOUR SYMPTOMS. THE PRIME BUTTON IS ACTUALLY A PRE-HEAT (GLOW PLUG) SWITCH THAT ALSO RUNS THE ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP TO PRIME THE FUEL SYSTEM. THIS SWITCH WHEN ENERGIZED BYPASSES THE CONTROL BOARD AND APPLYS POWER DIRECTLY TO FUEL PUMP AND RUN SOLENOID. WHEN CRANKING, AS GENERATOR COMES UP TO SPEED AND A.C. VOLTAGE IS PRODUCED, THE CONTROL BOARD TAKES OVER, AND SUPPLIES POWER TO FUEL PUMP AND RUN SOLENOID. THEN YOU RELEASE START SWITCH, AND IT CONTINUES TO RUN, iF THE GEN SHUTS OFF WHEN YOU RELEASE THE SWITCH, THEN YOU LIKELY HAVE A BAD CONTROL BOARD, OR NO A.C. POWER BEING PRODUCED FROM GENERATOR. lIKELY CAUSES OF NO A.C. POWER ARE FIELD BRUSH WORN OUT OR STUCK, NOT CONTACTING ROTOR SLIP RINGS, BAD VOLTAGE REGULATOR, OR (WORST CASE)OPEN OR SHORTED WINDINGS IN GEN ROTOR OR STATOR. YOU CAN"T JUST JUMPER THE GLOW/PLUG/PRIME SWITCH, FOR VERY LONG, OR YOU WILL OVERHEAT GLOW PLUGS AND DESTROY THEM.
THIS IS A VERY DIFFICULT SYSTEM TO DIAGNOSE, AND AS O.P. SAID PARTS ARE GETTING TO BE SOMEWHAT OF A CHALLENGE. IF GEN END HAS GONE BAD (ROTOR OR STATOR) SET IS PROBABLY NOT COST EFFECTIVE TO REPAIR, THE CONTROL BOARDS ARE AVAILABLE, SEVERAL HUNDRED $$, AND MAY BE ALL YOU NEED.

Please turn off your caps lock key. If someone types in all caps and it is over 2 lines long, I skip it. (I didn't read this post.) And I am not alone.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

bounder39zman
Explorer II
Explorer II
THE PREVIOUS POST PRETTY MUCH COVERS ALL TH POSSIBLE PROBLEMS FOR YOUR SYMPTOMS. THE PRIME BUTTON IS ACTUALLY A PRE-HEAT (GLOW PLUG) SWITCH THAT ALSO RUNS THE ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP TO PRIME THE FUEL SYSTEM. THIS SWITCH WHEN ENERGIZED BYPASSES THE CONTROL BOARD AND APPLYS POWER DIRECTLY TO FUEL PUMP AND RUN SOLENOID. WHEN CRANKING, AS GENERATOR COMES UP TO SPEED AND A.C. VOLTAGE IS PRODUCED, THE CONTROL BOARD TAKES OVER, AND SUPPLIES POWER TO FUEL PUMP AND RUN SOLENOID. THEN YOU RELEASE START SWITCH, AND IT CONTINUES TO RUN, iF THE GEN SHUTS OFF WHEN YOU RELEASE THE SWITCH, THEN YOU LIKELY HAVE A BAD CONTROL BOARD, OR NO A.C. POWER BEING PRODUCED FROM GENERATOR. lIKELY CAUSES OF NO A.C. POWER ARE FIELD BRUSH WORN OUT OR STUCK, NOT CONTACTING ROTOR SLIP RINGS, BAD VOLTAGE REGULATOR, OR (WORST CASE)OPEN OR SHORTED WINDINGS IN GEN ROTOR OR STATOR. YOU CAN"T JUST JUMPER THE GLOW/PLUG/PRIME SWITCH, FOR VERY LONG, OR YOU WILL OVERHEAT GLOW PLUGS AND DESTROY THEM.
THIS IS A VERY DIFFICULT SYSTEM TO DIAGNOSE, AND AS O.P. SAID PARTS ARE GETTING TO BE SOMEWHAT OF A CHALLENGE. IF GEN END HAS GONE BAD (ROTOR OR STATOR) SET IS PROBABLY NOT COST EFFECTIVE TO REPAIR, THE CONTROL BOARDS ARE AVAILABLE, SEVERAL HUNDRED $$, AND MAY BE ALL YOU NEED.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Since the generator runs while the prime button is pushed, this pretty much rules out a fuel problem. The following is info for a 75D model:

Engine starts then shuts down when Start/Stop switch is released.
I assume that the Prime button ties in with Start/Stop

Engine oil level is low.
Defective Low Oil Pressure Switch.
Defective Coolant Temperature Switch.
Defective Control Module circuit board.
Coolant Level is Low.
Defective Low Coolant Level Switch.
Defective Start/Stop switch.
No A.C. output.
Defective engine control board.

If no A.C output:
Reset main line circuit breaker.
Generator internal failure.

Generac discontinued manufacturing RV generators several years ago, so servicing and obtaining parts will be a challenge.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
At my job, when one of the diesels doesnโ€™t run right, Someone usually yells out โ€œItโ€™s probably the fuel filterโ€, and then someone else yells โ€œEither that or the carburettorโ€
Bunch of comedians at my job.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The PRIME button also operates a fuel pump. Now one of two ways

one: A separate pump (often in-tank) that lifts fuel to the main pump on the generator.

2 The main pump but bypassing a relay on the Generator's control board.

Now with in-tank electric (or even in line electric) pumps becoming more and more popular over cam-operated pumps of old. The control board, sensors and that relay are all suspects.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
My first thought is fuel filter, with a diesel it's often the fuel filter.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
In general terms, that prime button by-passes some safeties. There is probably something like a low oil pressure switch that wants some attention. OR, you could jumper in the prime circuit and see what breaks first.

Matt

At work we used to say the worse the problem gets the easier it is to find.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
In general terms, that prime button by-passes some safeties. There is probably something like a low oil pressure switch that wants some attention. OR, you could jumper in the prime circuit and see what breaks first.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

bounder39zman
Explorer II
Explorer II
A model # would be helpful; NP65, 75, 80D? QP75D ?