cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New shore service tripled energy bill

KnowNuthin
Explorer
Explorer
We recently ran a 50 amp service to our barn where or FW resides… I left the power connected over the past couple months to keep the battery topped off … I also left our fridge on (electric) for a couple guests who stayed a few nights (no a/c usage as it was cool outside)..: the fridge ran for the entire two month period…

I recently reviewed our electric bill… typically we’re in the 300-400 kWh range… last two months were 1186 & 1346 kWh…

Does the fridge use that much juice or should I be looking for a parasitic draw somewhere between the house and the barn?
2005 2500HD D/A CC LB 4X4 being pushed by:
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2007 Ural GearUp Arctic
25 REPLIES 25

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
So let me see if I got this right. Your house and garage use 400kwh in a month and your 5th wheel (Litely used) uses 800kwh and you want to know if that sounds right?
NFW - there is absolutely something not right.
Whether it is sloppy workmanship, defective materials, or poor quality something is wrong between the garage and the RV (which also includes the RV and its infrastructure). Time to get a voltmeter out and see where all the power is going.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Dusty R wrote:
We have a pole barn that is far enough from our house that it has it's own electric service. And when you have more than one service on one property you have to pay at commercial rate on one of them.

The higher rate charged for commercial service might cost more but would have nothing to do with the number of kWh's used which the OP says has dramatically increased.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
I added 50 amy service for my 5th wheel, we leave the fridge going all summer and use it for guests and such also. I have never even noticed an increase that is worth mentioning in my power bill..

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

KnowNuthin
Explorer
Explorer
Dusty R wrote:
We have a pole barn that is far enough from our house that it has it's own electric service. And when you have more than one service on one property you have to pay at commercial rate on one of them.

That's an interesting concept... never really thought about it, but it makes sense...

What we did, though, was to tap into an unused 50 amp service in our garage and run the wires underground approximately 100' to our pole barn... the garage now has a 50 amp breaker where the outlet once resided, there is a second breaker in the barn (next to the RV power outlet) to shut the power off... and a third breaker in the main panel of the house...

A bit of overkill, but, according to our electrician, it was the least expensive way of going about things... my wife, who is an electrical engineer, signed off on the plan so I'm good with it...
2005 2500HD D/A CC LB 4X4 being pushed by:
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2007 Ural GearUp Arctic

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
That is quite high I think. Our refrigerator/freezer ran, once cold, with ac running at 72 degrees about 5-10 minutes out of an hour, unless we were preparing meals and in and out of ,the fridge ad freezer.
Long cords, in high heat like Kingman Az will drop voltage, from experience, but effect on power consumption, I'm not sure

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
valhalla360 my 30 amp PD converter with a power factor of 0.7 draws 750 watts (measured). But we don't know what the OP has for a converter.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
I'll speculated that it's the house but again a Kill A Watt will isolate to the RV and if so turning off CBs will isolate the circuit.

A 60A continual battery charge would result in warm batteries, possible bulging sides and maybe ready to explode.

Yep!

I don't know what number/type of batteries the OP has or their condition. If they are wet cell lead/acid, continuous over charging (IMO, over 10 amps each) WILL eventually result in water loss, then severe off gassing (hydrogen gas) which is explosive/corrosive. Chances are it will eventually trip the propane warning alarm if there is one nearby. The acrid smell of rotten eggs, (hydrogen/hydrogen sulfide gas) should be present for a while before . . . . . . . . boom!

Chum lee

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Wonder if:

The OP's electric utility uses "smart meters"?

If so, is the meter working correctly?

300-400 KWH per billing cycle? How do you do it?? 🙂

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I don’t think tripling your electric usage is even remotely possible with the RV fridge and converter.
But see how many amps it’s drawing if that’s what you suspect.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'll speculated that it's the house but again a Kill A Watt will isolate to the RV and if so turning off CBs will isolate the circuit.

A 60A continual battery charge would result in warm batteries, possible bulging sides and maybe ready to explode.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
MFL wrote:
KnowNuthin wrote:
Our RV battery is on its last legs...which is why I left the 50 amp service running...(would this cause additional draw?)

Since WH is not on electric, this could be a heavy draw, due to continually charging.

Jerry

This is my guess. If the battery is shot, the charger may be trying to charge flat out constantly.

A 60amp @12v charger might pull close to 800watts at peak output when losses are included. If it's going 24/7, that's around 575kwh per month. Add in a bit for the fridge and some other minor loads and there is your 700kwh increase.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
KnowNuthin wrote:
Our RV battery is on its last legs...which is why I left the 50 amp service running...(would this cause additional draw?)

Since WH is not on electric, this could be a heavy draw, due to continually charging.

Jerry

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
My water heater will cycle for 15 minutes every four hours, if no water is used. It draws 1400 watts while running. That would amount to about 2.1 kwh per day or about 63 kwh per month.

It is a ten gallon Dometic unit.

Something else must be running.

Could it be a bad battery that the converter is attempting to resurrect?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.