cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Norcold 4 door fridge/freezer door hard to open

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II

The left door of my fridge (the one with the flap that covers the gap between the doors) is very difficult to open. Usually, I open the right door slightly and the left door opens easily. The flappy thingy isn't stiff at all.

I can't see any place for an adjustment. Is adjustment possible?

4 REPLIES 4

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator

Assuming the door flap has to slightly slide to get it out from under the right door; Could it be something sticky on the flap between the flap and the cabinet or right side door? Something that the right door is just enough pressure to stop sliding until you open the right door?

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II

I tried a heavy business card in the right door seal. No difference when trying to open the left door. Also folded over the card to double the thickness - no difference. I don't think it's vacuum holding the door closed. Feels mechanical. I inspected the top and bottom of the flap and the pieces on the fridge and there doesn't seem to be any scrapes or abrasion. Must be something else. Maybe I'll try putting a washer in the hinge to raise the door a bit??

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator

It is not unusual for any refrigerator to have a slight vacuum. it is normally caused when there is moisture inside the RV. If you push in against the door that is sealed that way it should help release the vacuum and allow the door to open. A small flat screwdriver can be pushed between the stuck gaskets to relieve the vacuum if needed. 

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator

It sounds like the refrigerator has a slight vacuum in it. I'll bet the right door holds the left door flap sealed. So it's harder to open the left door because the seal and pressure from the right door keeps the vacuum strong longer than the right door. But the right door has no flap and therefore a smaller sealing surface making it easy to open. Then once the right door is open there is no vacuum so the  left one is easy to open.

A test to prove or disprove my theory. Find something small like maybe a matchbook that you can temporarily close in the right side door to hold a portion of the gasket away from the refrigerator and prevent it from from sealing. It doesn't have to be much; Just something to hold the right side door gasket away from the refrigerator cabinet. Now with no vacuum see if the left door opens any easier.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup