cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ok to run shore power without battery?

144Grayling
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2007 Komfort trailer with a WFCO ultra distribution panel model WF8955an with a 3 stage converter. Lately the fan in the panel has started running for hours at a time. I checked the battery and it is boiling HOT. We donโ€™t travel, the trailer is plugged into shore power 100% of the time. Is there any problem with removing the battery and just having the 12v lights and bath fan run off the converter?
49 REPLIES 49

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I half agree with the person who said something is wrong with the converter.
The reason it's only half is there is a "Suspect #2" (or perhaps #1) and that is the battery.

Either the converter is putting out high voltage (your lights will be super bright and likely not last long story follows) or the battery MIGHT have one or more cells shorted (your volt meter is your friend.. Resting should be 12.6 Put a small load on it (I like automotive test lights.. Look like an ice pick with a bulb in the handle and a wire with clip lead.> Add 25-50 feet of say 18 or 20 ga wire (with a clip on one end and a ring terminal on the other) and you have a very useful tool.... Test fuses swiftly.. Find broken wires (12 volt side of life only) and more very fast and very easy)

If the light goes dim after a few seconds.. Shorted cell (you don't need the extension ground lead for battery testing)

Oh the extension lead.. Like I said put a ring terminal on one end or strip back an inch or two twist loop and solder This is so you can clamp the test lights clip on and a clip on the other.. Then Fold in half and re-roll on the spool it came on (or put one end through the center holes and move it to the middle and re-roll. That way you only need to unroll enough when you need it.

But use a volt meter even if it's a 10 buck horrible frieight special to measure battery and House voltages with the battery disconnected.... Post results.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

agwill
Explorer
Explorer
sounds like a bad battery to me. out of water?
al

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Obviously, something is wrong with the battery charger...so best not to use it at all until it can be repaired or replaced.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
I added a battery disconnect and use that for winter storage but left the TT plugged into shore power so I can still use the lights and radio. Just yesterday I plugged in a portable electric heater and took a nap in there. Need the lightโ€™s because I put reflectix in all the windows, retains the heat a little better and makes it much darker in there. My batteries are LiFePO4 so no float voltage isnโ€™t a big deal.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I'd check the voltage the converter is producing, particularly if you are going to run it without a battery. I know of at least one case where a WFCO converter failed & produced 21V, destroying a pair of AGM batteries. High voltage can damage your lighting & 12V appliances...