cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan 5500 gummed - fixed!

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
I think I dodged a bullet today! My 2010 Onan 5500 HGJAB with 1000 hours finally got the often talked about dreaded gum up ๐Ÿ˜ž It would start but under load it coughed, spit, and died).

It has worked flawlessly for 5 years, probably cause I used it a lot. This is the first summer I left it in the Florida heat unattended for 3 months.

I took the carb off and hit it inside and out with Gunk carb cleaner. I sprayed every orifice I could find. I opened the bowl drain and half filled the bowl and tightened the drain screw. I reattached the carb and before attaching the fuel line, filled it with an ounce of sea foam. When it was all back together I hit the prime button for a while to force the pure sea foam into the carb. I let is soak for a few hours and then started it up. Was a little rough at first and then smoothed out. Turned on one AC for 5 minutes and then the second AC was turned on. She's purring now! From all the horror stories I've read about the Onan 5500 I feel I cheated death (of a carburetor)! ๐Ÿ™‚
8 REPLIES 8

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
wilanddij wrote:
I had to go through the Onan carb gum-up and cleaning exercise when I couldn't be around to start and run it every month, so I installed a shutoff in the fuel line. When I put the RV away this year I ran the generator till it died from lack of fuel. I'm anxious to get back and see how it starts and runs.

I put a switch in the wire going to the electric fuel pump, then do the same as you. Has worked for me for the past several years.

Dusty

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Please post a follow-up because what you did is popular with some folks ๐Ÿ™‚

wilanddij
Explorer
Explorer
I had to go through the Onan carb gum-up and cleaning exercise when I couldn't be around to start and run it every month, so I installed a shutoff in the fuel line. When I put the RV away this year I ran the generator till it died from lack of fuel. I'm anxious to get back and see how it starts and runs.
Will & Di
2004 Southwind 32VS
Workhorse/8.1
Ford C-Max/Blue Ox
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" Pogo

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I use non-ethanol gas in my 5500, treat it with StaBil Marine formula all the time and run it under load for 1 hour/month. It currently has 250 hours on it and has never failed or had any problems for a bit over 5 years now.

When I do have to use gas with ethanol I still treat it with Stabil Marine, but make sure I run it all out before refilling the tank with non-ethanol.

Works for me.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If you treat your generator gas with fuel stabilizer, you'll have a lot less trouble. I use Stabil for my small engines and don't have many fuel related problems. I just pulled two string trimmers out of storage. They hadn't been used in quite awhile. The gas lines were rotted into pieces. A carb cleanup, new gas tubing, and some fresh gas got them going.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for this report. Fuel can evaporate inside the carb when it is left in warm weather, leaving behind some gunk. I probably will need to do this to my motorhome generator. Last time I used it was back in 2008. So I have a feeling that it will take a carb rebuild to fix it. .

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Thanks for the report.

Don't forget to change the fuel filter.

Where is the fuel filter? and why does my operation manual say it has to be replaced by an Onan mechanic???

ok, found it in the parts diagram, underneath....

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the report.

Don't forget to change the fuel filter.