Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onan Generator Oil Filter Crossthreaded

latoky
Explorer
Explorer
Hi!
According to my service technicians my generator is leaking oil (and can’t even run) because the area you screw the filter into has been cross threaded/stripped. They say the entire bottom plate has to be replaced to the tune of $2400. I have the Compass Platinum Protection plan and I anticipated paying the deductible. But they’re telling me this is considered physical damage and therefore not covered.
Has anyone run into this? I know coverage companies do everything they can not to pay out, but this seems unreasonable. Our RV has 15,000 miles on it. Generator has 600 hours of use. Oil has been changed ever 100 hours with Onan Filters.
Thanks for any advice on how to approach Compass and get this covered.
12 REPLIES 12

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. I would attempt another filter. It IS possible that the new filter is wrong or has damaged threads. IF the old filter was cross threaded, then it would have leaked. ALSO, if old was cross threaded and FORCED to mate to the old housing block, it would have taken a large force with pliers to unscrew it. THAT should have alerted the existing so called tech that something was wrong and they then notify you.
2. I have almost 45 years of servicing Onans and have NEVER come across such a problem. NEVER!
3. As to your ESC, ESC's ONLY cover covered parts that BREAK, not parts that have been damaged by a service technician or customer. Doug

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
I think your service department screwed up royally and are trying to make you pay for it. If the previous servicer had cross threaded the filter boss, your filter would have probably leaked.

Yes! And, IME, it would have probably leaked from the moment oil pressure/volume was initially supplied by the oil pump.

The OP doesn't state which model (age/current hours/size/fuel type) of Onan generator they are speaking about which would be helpful in getting more useful information in this format.

Chum lee

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I've never seen physical damage covered by a warranty.

The shop that last changed your oil/oil filter should pay for the repair though since they are the guilty party that damaged the threads.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
I think your service department screwed up royally and are trying to make you pay for it. If the previous servicer had cross threaded the filter boss, your filter would have probably leaked. Have you always had your generator serviced at this shop?
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I remember mine has a piece that screws into the plate and the other side is where filter screws on.
Need exact model of Onan from the OP to look up his genset for parts list.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
What normal person has the strength to cross thread a spin on filter that is only tighten by hand??? Sounds like the last place where you had it service had some kid do the work and a wrench was used to install the filter.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Definitely get a second opinion. I have had experience in fixing multiple things on friends cars that the professional technician apparently didn't want to deal with or know how to repair so they just wanted the larger dollar replace.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Even if it is cross threaded, it seems it could be rethreaded by a competent mechanic or the "bolt" part cut out and installed. But, as someone said, get a second opinion. I also don't really understand how someone cross thread an oil filter. It seems to me someone would have almost had to try hard to do that.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
Who changed the filter the last time? If it is cross threaded they are the responsible party and they should pay not your insurance.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What is the exact model of your nan genset?
Hard to believe the plate is mad of softer material then a filter!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can you share with us how this happened? Are you saying Superman forced the new filter at the last change all the way up to the sealing surface?
If there is a heavy truck shop near you I would consult with them for ideas. I don't know how access on your rig is configured but they could possibly chase the threads.
Maybe you can find a junk genny cheap for parts, use that bottom plate, and solve it that way.
Puma 30RKSS

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
Get a second opinion.
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)