Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan Indiana generator stalling

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
Starts and runs for hour, then stalls.
Have plenty of gas in tank. Oil level good.
440 hours in 2006 year.
Thoughts?
9 REPLIES 9

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Just watched a Youtube video about this on 4000 (and I suppose the 3600LP). The guy described the symptoms as starting fine, running fine, suddenly shutting down, and later starting up fine.

He claims that TOO HIGH of an oil level (within the normal range on the dipstick) was causing it and that many others commented that they too experienced this and that servicing the oil to just above the ADD mark solved the problem.

https://youtu.be/vzXDlln8aUw

Another video said it was the fuel pump. You can test the pump/filter by taking the line at the carb off and putting it in a container and pushing STOP and this will operate the pump to prime the carb. If you don't get good flow, you may have pump problems, assuming you have a quarter tank or more of fuel in the RV fuel tank.

https://youtu.be/U72Zmk0BF-o

Charles

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Gdlow
Explorer
Explorer
Jerseydevil wrote:
Starts and runs for hour, then stalls.
Have plenty of gas in tank. Oil level good.
440 hours in 2006 year.
Thoughts?

There is a video on youtube that shows a guy saying that the way he corrected that is to make sure the oil was not up to the top of his Dipstick as his feeling is that the dipstick is not the right size. I tried that and I can tell you that it helped me...
When I changed my oil it was always taking more that the "required" two quarts to hit the full line..I now only put in the two quarts...
Gary And Cathy
'05 Dolphin 5342
Honda Element following us :W
Pacnats
GS, FMCA
:C Rallys attended
FMCA Albany, Or.'06
FMCA Redmond, Or.'07
FMCA Quartzite, Az. '10...but not again:R
Good Sams "The Rally" Redmond Or. '11
FMCA Redmond August 2014
FMCA Indio, Ca 2013

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Matt_Colie wrote:
Devil,

I have serviced many Onans, but I do not recall an Indiana model. This means that I can't even guess what your issue is, and that is unfortunate. Better still, there is an engine designation on the tag, that will identify the unit without question.

Matt

Onan Distributor is or was MECO(Mcdonald Equipment Company) of Elkhart, Indiana. They installed stickers on all the Onans supplied to OEM's that stated WHO the Distributor Service center is in Elkhart. They are all built out of state, I believe in Wisconsin or Minnesota. Doug

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
Devil,

I have serviced many Onans, but I do not recall an Indiana model. This means that I can't even guess what your issue is, and that is unfortunate. Better still, there is an engine designation on the tag, that will identify the unit without question.

Matt

Label on lower left is Onan Indiana, maybe where it was made. Looked further and it's 4000 microquiet.

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
It's a Onan 4000 Microquiet.
Actually ran it again last night for about 4 hours and it did not stall.
Maybe fuel? But had it running a few times already. Will check pump and filter.
Thanks all.

justALnow
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 5500 Onan in a 2007 toy hauler and it did that. It was the fuel pump... after it cooled off, it would run again.

MrWizard
Odds are spell check auto corrected
And it's supposed to be "Industrial"
Unless it's supposed to be "inverter" model

Like Matt said need the model# from the name plate data
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Devil,

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
What makes it run again? Time, or will it start right back up?

Two simplest checks are fuel filter and vent on fuel system.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73