cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onan muffler spring squeak?

soren
Explorer
Explorer
I have a nine year old Marquis Gold 5500 that is driving me nuts. The exhaust is mounted on four springs. Each spring is the size of an old film canister, and nicely buried up inside the housing of the generator. They don't look like they are going to be fun to remove. Every time the rig moves, (and it doesn't take much, my seven pound puppy can make this happen by walking down the hall)the exhaust starts to squeak, and it's about as irritating as it gets. I have flooded the springs with spray lube and it doesn't seem to make any difference. Anybody ever deal with this issue, and if so, what is the permanent solution? Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
soren wrote:
copeland343 wrote:
Sounds like a bad muffler bearing.

Sorry couldn't help myself.

Maybe look at the muffler to generator connection that might be loose

Nope, bearing is fine, blinker fluid topped off, and it's ready to roll.

On a serious note, the muffler is welded to a stand, of sorts, that floats on these four springs, and the squeak is enough that I'm ready to tear the whole mess out.

Sounds like it is going to be a bunch of work.. But if you can get into where the springs are you could remove the springs and use "universal" exhaust pipe hangers in place of the springs..

These hangers are made of heat resistant rubber so in a sense you will be suspending the muffler from the universal hangers instead of the springs..

LOOK LIKE THESE

There are different universal hanger designs other than the one in the above link.. Just do a search and determine which ones will work the best for your setup..

soren
Explorer
Explorer
copeland343 wrote:

Nope, bearing is fine, blinker fluid topped off, and it's ready to roll.

On a serious note, the muffler is welded to a stand, of sorts, that floats on these four springs, and the squeak is enough that I'm ready to tear the whole mess out.

copeland343
Explorer
Explorer