cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Operating on a 20amp circuit

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
Need to operate my rig for three or four days in early December. Will only use bare necessities in electricity. Lights mainly. Propane for heat, propane for water heater. In SW Oklahoma, it could get cold, but not seriously cold.
I think I should be OK on a 20amp circuit; however, I would like the opinion of others more knowledgeable than I, which is most of the known universe. I would have to use 20 to 30 to 50 doglegs.

GM
2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.
32 REPLIES 32

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
road-runner wrote:
Mine came from the factory with a 30 amp main breaker and 4x 20 amp branch breakers. All the wiring except the flexible part to the slideout is 12 awg yellow romex.

Thanks for the above answers. Good to know 20 means 20 in newer RVs when folks have questions and issues.

I don't know if they still make "Canadian versions" with 15s and 14 wire for some of the branches except the 20 for the air conditioner.

Mine also had that WH or MW switch on the same 15a circuit so you could only run one or the other at a time, but the USA version had them on their own 20a branches.

(No, we did not have to strike a flint to get the stove-top going ๐Ÿ™‚ )
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine came from the factory with a 30 amp main breaker and 4x 20 amp branch breakers. All the wiring except the flexible part to the slideout is 12 awg yellow romex.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
BFL13 wrote:
Do American RVs have all 20a breakers with 12AWG wire to 15/20 receptacles?

The 2003 Komfort 5er we had with a Parallax 7300, had schematics in the manual showing the USA version had a 30a Main and all the branches were 20a. The Canadian version we had of the same trailer (made in Oregon) had a 30a Main and one 20a with the rest 15a with 14 wire. All the receptacles were 15a.

I find it hard to believe the factory had 12 wire and 15/20 receptacles in the 2003 USA version, but don't know.

What about these days? Do American RVs all come with all 20a breakers and 12 wire for everything? You need the 20/15 receptacles of course, since you still get lots of appliances to plug in with 15a plugs.

New stick houses are getting more 20a circuits these days than before. But "up here" they still have some 15s.

I can't speak for other RV's, but the one I have has 12g as the smallest wire, the breakers are all at least 20 amp, but the outlets do not have the 20 amp sideways slot. The outlets are 15 amp outlets. That being said, it is my understanding that the only difference between a 15 amp outlet and a 20 amp outlet is the way that slot is cut in the plastic face.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I think most on this forum understand the difference between 15 amp, and the 20, with heavier wire, especially the 15 Dutchmen mentioned, with the old glass screw in fuses. I can run any single high draw on 20 amp, even my 15K AC.

Jerry

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
road-runner wrote:
BFL13 wrote:
Do Americans now say "20a" when they really are talking about 15a with 14 wire, or do they mean actual 20a with 12 wire and the sideways plug-ins?
My guess is that they mean a circuit with a 20 amp breaker, that has 12 awg wire to a combo 15/20 amp outlet, or possibly just a 15 amp outlet. If an extension cord is used, it will be anything from 12 awg to 16 awg, but even if 12 awg, will likely not have the sideways prong on the plug.

Do American RVs have all 20a breakers with 12AWG wire to 15/20 receptacles?

The 2003 Komfort 5er we had with a Parallax 7300, had schematics in the manual showing the USA version had a 30a Main and all the branches were 20a. The Canadian version we had of the same trailer (made in Oregon) had a 30a Main and one 20a with the rest 15a with 14 wire. All the receptacles were 15a.

I find it hard to believe the factory had 12 wire and 15/20 receptacles in the 2003 USA version, but don't know.

What about these days? Do American RVs all come with all 20a breakers and 12 wire for everything? You need the 20/15 receptacles of course, since you still get lots of appliances to plug in with 15a plugs.

New stick houses are getting more 20a circuits these days than before. But "up here" they still have some 15s.
Photo in Profile

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
BFL13 wrote:
Do Americans now say "20a" when they really are talking about 15a with 14 wire, or do they mean actual 20a with 12 wire and the sideways plug-ins?
My guess is that they mean a circuit with a 20 amp breaker, that has 12 awg wire to a combo 15/20 amp outlet, or possibly just a 15 amp outlet. If an extension cord is used, it will be anything from 12 awg to 16 awg, but even if 12 awg, will likely not have the sideways prong on the plug.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II

I get the strong impression on this forum they say "20a" no matter what. True? Makes it hard to know what people are really talking about without a translator/interpreter/cultural advisor. ๐Ÿ™‚

The OP can at least confirm he means 20a for real in this case.

Thanks.
Photo in Profile

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
If I couldn't live on 15 amps I'd quit.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
20 amps will be lots. I'd consider running a 500 watt electric heater, to reduce propane use.

I often boondock in winter on just 15 amps. I do have a hybrid inverter/charger which allows me to "dial down" demand to 13 amps, preventing any over load.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Lonnie,

You will also want to note if there are other things running on this circuit, like a freezer in the garage. Easy to over look and each item adds up.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
winniman -

Always got to have a PLAN B...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I would make sure your propane canisters are full. Heater is biggest draw on LP. Don't want to run out in the middle of the night.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
All of our previous TT's have all been 30 amp and we plugged into 20 amp service all the time and never had any kind of issue. It's all about power management.

Then a year ago we got the 50 amp 5er...whole new ballgame for us. Found out we could function pretty well plugged into a 30 amp service. We just followed the same long standing practices we always did when we had the 30 amp TT's.

Then, last April, we stayed at a relative's home and they had a small shed where we plugged into a 15 amp service for our 50 amp 5er. Before arriving, I had all the wire ready and all the step-down / step-up adapters to go from 20 to 30 to 50 and backwards again.

Turned out, not only did that single 15 amp service, service one plug, it also powered a refrigerator and a freezer inside that shed. We that 15 amp service was divided. The house (an old farm house in the countryside in Indiana), had the old screw type glass fuses and he showed me where he kept extras in case we blew one.

We made it 2 night and 3 days in April, in Indiana crazy weather, and never blew a single fuse in the house. We practiced power management.

If "it" had ability to run on battery or propane, we ran "it" on battery and/or propane. The only thing running on electric was our own refrigerator (all electric) and our television and alarm clock.

We did just fine over that week-end. Power management! That's all it takes.

And oh yes, I had to run about 75 feet of 30 amp cord, attached to 35 feet of 50 amp cord, started out with the 20 amp - 30 amp RV dogbone adapter. Then a 30 to 50 rv dogbone adapter.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I would unplug the Microwave and turn the Roof AC breaker OFF. Since you will be have visitors inside, this will ensure they do not overload the system. Doug