cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

PD9245C-14.8

Bend
Explorer
Explorer
I was trolling Best Converter and ran across a 9200C series doing bulk at 14.8v. Seems only in 45A for now.

http://www.bestconverter.com/PD-9245C-148-45-Amp-RV-ConverterCharger_p_610.html#.VWPmaI9FCRs

The PD9245C-14.8 is a 45-amp power converter/charger designed to provide reliable filtered DC power for batteries that require a higher boost/bulk voltage such as Trojan and others.

I could not find the model on the PD site.
40 REPLIES 40

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
Almot,
Yes
Sent you a PM

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hey KJINTF, still interested in defunct Rogue 30A MPPT?

I have reunited with my trailer in Mexico, came back and brought Rogue to Canada. It's yours for shipping costs. Can't bring myself to taking it to recycling, still feeling bad that I've killed it. Tried 3 different controllers since then, nothing comes close in features and convenience.

don_a
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks - you inspired me to work to lower the 14.8V output of my "C" model to get it back down to the lower stock boost voltage of 14.4 which is going to serve as my new lithium bulk charge source (hopefully working as well as the 14.8 did for my GC2s). Note here that I only use the PD for boost alone powered by a wind-up timer while running the genset. I initially worked to design a solution that had variable output by installing the pot on the rear and running a very thin shielded cable from the 50K POT to near the DC side where the microprocessors and DC output was provided. (Back of unit faces toward me in implementation.) In my mind it was of course a work of art-work until I discovered the unit goes into bad oscillation unless the resistor is soldered right on the board. Then I wasted another half day before realizing that there is so much RFI pouring out of the device open case that it was making my digital multi meter go insane each time I tested the feature I had added. Turns out I should have put the case back on and tested it but after working on it about 8 hours, I got fed up with the constant oscillation (makes a squealing sound in the transformer) that I just soldered the stock value 34K resistor back to the board and at 14.37 would just call it a wrap.

I was quite confident I had ruined the power supply because my DVOM was scaling all over the place even with the resistor soldered right to the board. Then I simply put the PD case back on with the stock resistor and it was stable. Settled right back down with the case on. So will a pot work on this? Answer is that's extremely doubtful it would work even if testing it with the case closed and this is due to the large amount of RFI swirling around inside that case. On super close inspection, I see they even have a ground "tab" on the PCB running under that resistor which I assume is a late-add engineering change to try to keep some of that RFI out of the microprocessor pin which causes the oscillation you hear as the unit is powered down.

Now I must warn anyone who attempts this, if you are old-school and even if you have modern equipment, these components are all micro, for example the resistor in question is smaller than the tip of a fountain pen and you can destroy the board unless you have either a magnifying board camera or jeweler's glasses on. It's not easy and good chance there are only about 3 resistor swaps opportunities before you have destroyed the board. I got extremely lucky but for others, I don't recommend attempting this unless you have experience working with boards with micro components and have jewelers tools and a tiny soldering iron. Anyway thanks _ _ _ I'm "set" again until something else goes wrong.

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
don a
Yes I'm still alive and kicking

Sorry, I do not have any additional pictures. The several converters I have are in daily service being battery maintainers / chargers and simple power supplies. You might want to try an external adjustable resister aka POT to enable the desired voltage.

You should look through the earlier comments and obtain a good DMM to find the resister in question.

don_a
Explorer
Explorer
3 tons wrote:
I may be forced to consult the Oracle at Delphiโ€ฆ

3 tons

Definitely better stick with 3 because if you load 16 tons, what do you get?

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Send the manufacturers of these abominations, a giant stereo with 18" speakers and a thousand watt amplifier...

Include a CD of the 1070's recording by the Chambers Brothers

TIME!

Let the sound of the recording resonate through the mahogany lined offices.

TIME !

Rattle the windows

TIME!

Drop pictures from the walls

TIME!

Bake a cake for 45 minutes at 350F and it's finished

Therefore

Bake a cake at 3,000F for thirty seconds, and that otter do 'er...right? Same thing.

A converter is a converter. A charger is not a converter so if it waddles, quacks, and has feathers, it isn't a crocodile. Build a switch-over circuit in the dingle-dongle and select Converter OR Charger. The charger is programmable to meet the demands of a battery charge, not the needs of a Power Post Princess suckling at a spider-webbed cord hookup. When the charge is finished the unit DEFAULTS back to converter mode. How hard can it be?

Seems like a fairly reasonable and sage assessment, but to properly decipher it I may be forced to consult the Oracle at Delphiโ€ฆ

3 tons

don_a
Explorer
Explorer
KJINTF wrote:
It's a simple modification to increase boost voltage from 14.4 to 14.8 or almost anything you desire. Pin #5 of the micro controller is connected to a 32.4KOhm resister - drop the value by several hundred Ohms and the Boost increases - Simply solder a 60KOhm across the resister in question.

Any chance you are still around here KJINTF? I have a PD9270 with the solid 14.8V boost modification from Randy and I want to lower that to 14.4V. I used the pendant for generator boost charging only and this is too hot for my new batts. I've looked over the board and the microprocessor (assuming that's it, where the pendant wires run into it) and I don't see any non-factory looking board-work and I don't see any kind of pin-out on the little black IC that is not obviously labeled on the main board. I know it's a decade ago but do you have any photos or could I email you a photo of mine and you comment on what resistor I need to alter? Thanks!

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
Wow...... I believe we upset the Lead Acid Battery Guru

Converters work just fine for the vast majority of their users even with generators while boondocking lets not loose sight of reality

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Send the manufacturers of these abominations, a giant stereo with 18" speakers and a thousand watt amplifier...

Include a CD of the 1070's recording by the Chambers Brothers

TIME!

Let the sound of the recording resonate through the mahogany lined offices.

TIME !

Rattle the windows

TIME!

Drop pictures from the walls

TIME!

Bake a cake for 45 minutes at 350F and it's finished

Therefore

Bake a cake at 3,000F for thirty seconds, and that otter do 'er...right? Same thing.

A converter is a converter. A charger is not a converter so if it waddles, quacks, and has feathers, it isn't a crocodile. Build a switch-over circuit in the dingle-dongle and select Converter OR Charger. The charger is programmable to meet the demands of a battery charge, not the needs of a Power Post Princess suckling at a spider-webbed cord hookup. When the charge is finished the unit DEFAULTS back to converter mode. How hard can it be?

lbzya
Explorer
Explorer
I was told by Randy that PD is offering the 14.8v models in the complete line of 9200 series. He said the 45amp is on the Web site because it's the most popular model. According to him all the voltages stay the same except for the boost mode is 14.8v.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
lbzya wrote:
The only thing changed is what PD calls a boost mode to 14.8v

Is this the one you got? (Randy's site--PD9100Ls)

"Output voltage can be FACTORY ADJUSTED to meet OEM requirements for various lithium ion battery chemistries and Voltages. Standard โ€œLโ€ Series voltages are set for 14.6- Volts to meet"

Some converters' voltages can be owner- adjusted if he takes the lid off and can find the voltage pot, and not break anything. Is the 9100L like that?

However, those internal-adjustables I know of, have all the unit's voltages altered by the same pot, so if you turn it to 14.8 from 14.6 for "boost" then your normal and float would also go up.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

lbzya
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing changed is what PD calls a boost mode to 14.8v

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
lbzya wrote:
Ask and you shall recieve. Just talked with Randy and he stocks a PD9260 that has the 14.8 bulk charge. Just have to place the order now.

Gee, I'm trying to remember if I already saw this last year, when I bought a 9260. I don't think so. Is the float voltage unchanged?
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

lbzya
Explorer
Explorer
Yes you are correct. Absorption