cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Potentially Dangerous Generator Failure

Old_Islander
Explorer
Explorer
This spring, bought a 1200 Watt Firman generator from Home Depot in Canada. It seemed like a good deal -- $249 plus tax, delivered right to the house, with a three year warranty.

On the second occasion of using this generator -- a hunting/camping trip with a truck camper late last month -- I set the generator on the ground. It started normally, but a few minutes later, we noticed a strong gas odor. The fuel tank's on/off valve was leaking gasoline which was trickling down into the air intake of the motor's cooling system -- about a half tank had leaked out.

The entire insides of the generator's motor, inverter, and electronic panel, were running with raw gas, to the point that the engine was starting to 'hunt'. Gas was being sucked into the air filter intake. It is extremely fortunate that it didn't catch fire, as it likely would have spread to the truck and camper. Managed to get the engine turned off and when the tank's fuel valve was closed, the leaking stopped.

The cause seems to be a stripped machine screw on the bottom this valve. (see attached photo of a similar valve...)

Click For Full-Size Image.

Home Depot provided a full refund. But when I posted the story above with a "one star rating" to their website under reviews for this generator, they refused to publish it.

So the learning here:

• Cheap Chinese machinery isn't always worth the savings
  • situate your generator so if it catches fire, it's as far away as possible from your RV
  • never leave your generator running unattended
  • don't believe the reviews in Home Depot's web pages -- they won't publish the bad ones
48 REPLIES 48

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a similar experience with a coolant expansion tank for a German car. I bought a "genuine OEM" tank at a really great price. It had all the German company markings and also said it was made in China. It leaked from day one. I spent more money buying a second tank from a major retail parts outlet, and it's holding up well. It's visually identical to the defective part, same company markings and same made in China marking. I'm thinking the first part was either a counterfeit, or from a lot of defective parts discarded by the manufacturer. My point is that one was cheap and defective, the other cost more and isn't defective, and I can't tell any difference from very closely looking at them.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
This post will probably really stir the pot. The new Oakland Bay Bridge in California was assembled/built using sections fabricated in China. I might add, they have found serious flaws in its construction. The real kicker is they were the result of American incompetence. Maybe it was an american that was responsible for the fuel valve. Just a thought.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
Old Islander wrote:

The Honda manufacturing process is ISO 9001 certified, which means every part of their product undergoes a rigorous and ongoing QA/QC process. Whatever valve they use, would have the highest level of quality assurance available -- and that would include replacement parts.

You give ISO 9000 way too much credit for ensuing that a cheap but functional valve might be included in a design. Far and away, China is the top user of ISO 9000 in the entire world, indeed having more certified companies than the USA and Japan combined.

There is a complementary Mil Std that is frequently invoked in things like Submarine and Ship design. Junk material still makes its way into ship design, hopefully in non-critical applications.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed. We have many, many Honda generators, lawnmowers, snowblowers, etc. at the city I work at and we rarely have any major issues with them. And trust me, this equipment is worked hard and sometimes abused.

I have also spoken to many people at campgrounds over the years and rarely has anyone had anything negative to say about their Honda generators and it is minor stuff at best.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Old_Islander
Explorer
Explorer
Re the posts suggesting that Honda buys cheap aftermarket on/off fuel valves for their fuel tanks, I don't believe it.

The Honda manufacturing process is ISO 9001 certified, which means every part of their product undergoes a rigorous and ongoing QA/QC process. Whatever valve they use, would have the highest level of quality assurance available -- and that would include replacement parts.

Old_Islander
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
Just because the "EU" may have a DIFFERENT valve, you really should not pooh, pooh the fact that HONDA DOES use this same valve system on many of their equipment..

Just ONE of the variations of this valve design, this one IS for a HONDA.. And once again, made of pot metal and of Chinese manufacturers.

There is no guarantee that this is a bonafide Honda part. This pic is from Amazon, where any company can list any part and call it whatever they want. This could be (and almost certainly is...) an aftermarket knock-off.

The first review of the above valve from Amazon:

ByCorey T.on July 25, 2017
Verified Purchase
Purchased for a 1985 Honda 250 ES, listed as compatible. When changing from 'Off' position to 'On', an impulse of fuel leaks through the face of the knob. Also, I had to change the fuel hose, this one requires a smaller hose. (I believe I used a 3/8", not positive, I just had it lying around.) Overall, not impressed, but for the price, I'm not sure what I expected.

robert_at_honda
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
One man's ceiling is another man's floor......

Ahhhh yes....

There's been some hard feelings here
About some words that were said
There's been some hard feelings here
And what is more
There's been a bloody purple nose
And some bloody purple clothes
That were messing up the lobby floor
It's just apartment house rules
So all you 'partment fools
Remember: one man's ceiling
Is another man's floor
Is another man's floor

There's been some strange goin's on
And some folks have come and gone
And the elevator man don't work no more
I heard a racket in the hall
And I thought I heard a fall
But I never opened up my door
It's just apartment house sense
It's like apartment rents
Is another man's floor
Is another man's floor

And there's an alley
In the back of my building
Where some people congregate in shame
I was walking with my dog
And the night was black with smog
When I thought I heard somebody
Call my name

- - -
I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
Robert@Honda

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
road-runner wrote:
This valve is NOT used in the Honda eu-series generators.
Nope. I've never seen one.

Just because the "EU" may have a DIFFERENT valve, you really should not pooh, pooh the fact that HONDA DOES use this same valve system on many of their equipment..

Just ONE of the variations of this valve design, this one IS for a HONDA.. And once again, made of pot metal and of Chinese manufacturers.

Honda

Just because the over all machine says it is Honda, does not mean EVERY part in the machine has been made by Honda..

Many manufacturers farm out parts, then ASSEMBLE all the parts into their finished product then put their name on it.

Probably more Chinese parts are in a Honda than actual Japanese parts..

I should also add that that same valve sold in a Honda brand box sells for $43.. The generic valve I linked is what, a whole $8..

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
newman fulltimer wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
newman fulltimer wrote:
shame on them trying to look like a champy!
Even though they do build for ridig and kohlor

How about 'Rigid' and 'Kohler'.......:R

Was doing the chinese spelling :B

Rodger on that.....lol

Or Roger on that.....

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
road-runner wrote:
Nope. I've never seen one.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
2009 Fleetwood Icon

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
The reality is the most expensive brand does not ALWAYS = the best..
Few things in life are always or never. But it is always a matter of probability.

"Probability" now days = Cheap AND expensive items ARE made by the same CHEAP China Production line.

Honda and Yamaha engines WEAR THE SAME CHINESE MADE CARBURETORS along with most if not all of the other parts, and that IS A FACT.

You can buy a $39 Honda carb which has the SAME China Company brand name as a generic carb but the box has Honda on it or you can buy a $19 non branded carb that fits Honda or many Chinese knock off engines and those carbs ALSO have the same Chinese brand name as the Honda part but come in a generic box..

So WHICH carb is the better one?

They came from the same manufacturer, assembly line, but have a different box with different logo..

Brand name lines have been blurred to the point that brand names often are made of the same parts from the same assembly line just different color of paint splashed on it.

Sometimes one cannot judge from the outside appearance..

As I pointed out earlier in this thread, the valve that the OP pointed out IS used in HONDA, YAMAHA and pretty much any other brand you can think of in portable generators..

I know this since I had one of these valves break off at the threads and even though my gen is not a Honda or a Yamaha the valve I needed IS LISTED as a replacement for Honda and Yamaha gens.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
Few things in life are always or never. But it is always a matter of probability.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
To many, a good deal = lowest price. End of research.

To some, a good deal = BLINDLY buying the most expensive name brand without research..

Sometimes one MUST look outside the box and be willing to TEST "other" brands..

Wasn't all that many years ago (1950s- 1980s) when "Made in Japan" meant CHEAP IMPORT JUNK, funny how time erases those bad memories.

Now days, folks fully embrace that ALL Japanese stuff is far superior and are willing to pay a higher premium for it. And the funniest thing of all is a lot of the Japanese imports stuff IS made on the same CHINESE PRODUCTION LINES..