Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Prep TC roof for Dicor redo

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey guys.

Just wondering if you guys have a favourite cleaner for cleaning the old dicor before going over with new dicor self leveling sealant?

Was gonna go with TSP and a bristle brush> Wipe off with clean water> Dry> Final wipe with Acetone or Denatured Alcohol> apply Dicor.
Roof is rubber type. Small leak in the front cab over. Want to take care of that and give it a refresh before selling.

Also, Geocell or Dicor non leveling caulk for the vertical seams?

Thanks in advance!
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.
8 REPLIES 8

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Gonna hit the local RV shop. I'll see how $$ the Dicor cleaner is. I just figured it would be glorified soap, like so many others are. But if it has a primer in it too, then maybe worth it. Otherwise, I'll go TSP or windex and rise. Then a final alcohol prep.
Not looking for a complete redo on the roof as this would be just prep for sale. But want to do a proper job if I'm going to do it. Just want to be proper about it for the next guy and have a clear conscience. IF I do it. (See question in other post... ๐Ÿ™‚ )
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Iโ€™ve never used soap and water only denatured alcohol ( aka ethanol) on a rag to preclean. Dicor self leveling is very forgiving.

I use SikaFlex 522 UV - (which was factory sealant on my Snowbird camper) for vertical work. It available from commercial fenestration (windows and glazing) supply. It is extremely good quality and durable. I sold that 2007 camper in โ€˜16 and the vertical sealant was factory fresh.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Anything will work.

Lap sealant is very sticky and will even stick to the dirty roof if you don't clean it so well. Do clean it, even if only scrubbing with a dry rag. The leaks will come from when the dicor cracks, not so much from the sealant coming un-stuck. I use rubbing alcohol and get the visible dirt clean and get most of the old sealant off, but I dont bother going crazy trying to perform surgery,

I do use the self-leveling on walls, it will run some, so you cannot put big beads on, but when it runs it means it is flowing into areas that the non-leveling might not get into.

dad4papa2
Explorer
Explorer
opps I forgot to say on prepping for dicor I use a small putty knife and make sure I don't get into the rubber roof. It usually comes off very easy and with denatured alcohol cleans up very nice.
If you use a small putty knife be very careful while using it. It can puncture your roof if you get in a hurry. I have never punctured mine thank goodness!
Dad
Living The Dream- Not full timing but wintering in Texas
Lifes So Short--Let's go Rv'ing :W

dad4papa2
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Dicor for my roof seams. I have had great success with it and had no problems.

Also I just lat year coated my entire roof with Henges roof coating and must say it is an amazing product. a good washing with the spray washer prior to coating it insured it was clean. I did a double spray wash and let it dry in the sun for a day and a half and then coated it with a roller and paint brush for the hard to get to places and wow what a differnce it made to my MH. I know everything says not to spray wash but in my research for a good coating I had 2 dealers that do this for a living said to spray wash it but keep back about a foot or so while washing it. It turned out perfect an looks like a new roof.

New roof probably around $4000.00 and up. Henges roof coating $200.00 and some labor!! No Brainer for me. Hope this helps!!

Dad
Living The Dream- Not full timing but wintering in Texas
Lifes So Short--Let's go Rv'ing :W

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Dicor has its own product which I used changing my tan epdm roof to white. Its not only a cleaner but a primer as well. The change cut 15 degrees inside. I did 3 coats of the cool beads. Great stuff.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
I've had good luck using Windex original with ammonia. It was recommended by a long time RV dealer. I also use mineral spirits if old Dicor is really dirty.

I've had good luck with either non-leveling caulk. The Geocell seems to set up harder, and the Dicor stays more flexible. It depends where I am using it, as to preference.

Jerry

Windex. Hadn't considered that. Thanks!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I've had good luck using Windex original with ammonia. It was recommended by a long time RV dealer. I also use mineral spirits if old Dicor is really dirty.

I've had good luck with either non-leveling caulk. The Geocell seems to set up harder, and the Dicor stays more flexible. It depends where I am using it, as to preference.

Jerry