cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane Auto Changeover

kptraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I am installing a "Mr Heater", propane Auto Changeover Two -stage Regulator. I am replacing a manual change over valve. Is it necessary to have an addtional regulator in the line between the tank farthest away from the "Mr Heater" regulator?

The orginal system had a Model GR-630 GasFlow regulator installed in the line between the tank farthest from the valve.

The picture on the package does not show any additional regulators installed.
11 REPLIES 11

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Hondavalk wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
Sorry. I donโ€™t use an auto change over. I want to know unmistakably that one of my tanks is empty. I switch over manually and have the empty refilled pronto.

X2 I have an auto change over but leave 1 tank valved off until the other is empty.

That works fine unless you enjoy cold weather camping and wake up freezing at 2 am because your tank ran empty.

But that allows me to wake up at 2 am and open the valve to a full tank

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Hondavalk wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
Sorry. I donโ€™t use an auto change over. I want to know unmistakably that one of my tanks is empty. I switch over manually and have the empty refilled pronto.

X2 I have an auto change over but leave 1 tank valved off until the other is empty.

That works fine unless you enjoy cold weather camping and wake up freezing at 2 am because your tank ran empty.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
kptraveler wrote:
Thank you to all who have replyed.
My regulator, Model GR-630 GasFlow, is releasing pressure through the vent hole. Should I replace it or is there something else I should look for.
Thanks for the education on regulating pressure in the "off side" clylinder line.

Your regulator Diaphragm has failed...cracked/torn etc
Vent hole is on 'atmosphere' side of diaphragm which allows for operation of regulator
LP coming out of vent hole.....regulator has failed
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
The pressure regulator should not leak. Here is the one I replaced my leaking regulator with.

regulator

kptraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to all who have replyed.
My regulator, Model GR-630 GasFlow, is releasing pressure through the vent hole. Should I replace it or is there something else I should look for.
Thanks for the education on regulating pressure in the "off side" clylinder line.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
The NFPA Regulation is because High Pressure Propane Vapor CAN condense into LIQUID Propane when it sits in long lines/hoses.
Liquid Propane will destroy regulators and appliance gas valves

Hence the 30# Single Stage Reg at 'off-side' cylinder.....drop the clyinder pressure which can be 100#--250# depending on temperatures
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

kptraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes it is necessary if you want to be safe and comply with code.

BTW how did you end up in the "Forum Posting Help" section?

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
From the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1192 Standard on Recreational Vehicles;

"5.3.11.2 Propane system pressure shall be regulated to a pressure of 30 psi (207 kpa) or less within 60 in. (1.5m) of the container outlet."

Since the cross over pipe is usually longer than 60โ€ the NFPA Standard requires the additional high pressure regulator valve.