cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Propane fridge operation

Bearsfanatic85
Explorer
Explorer
Ok Folks I have a question with regards to propane fridge operation, Recent trip up to the Tetons and waited to light my fridge until I got there, It took about 12 hours to get cool, Is this a normal amount of time? After a couple days I turned it down to max cool and it seemed to perform ok, However when we left to come home I forgot to turn it off and after the 500 mile ride home it seemed that the fridge was actually colder than ever, Is this because of the vacuum created by the hiway speed drawing the flame up higher? If so what can I do to adjust the flame height to get a more effective cooling cycle faster? I appreciate your responses.
1985 Chevy Custom Deluxe 3/4 ton 4x4 400hp 383 stroker with a 1967 all original Travel Queen TC
13 REPLIES 13

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
teambeeson wrote:
Okay, this is probably really dumb sorry, but if, going down the road at highway speeds, the fridge burner goes out (crosswind gust or whatever)... is there a shutoff mechanism or is propane just spilling out the whole time. I'm leery of running the propane on the highway for hours on end and just run the DC, but that prevents the camp battery from topping off I'm noticing. Thx.

When the refer is on LP, there is a FLAME sensor that is activated. IF the flame goes out, that sensor cools down and shuts the Gas Valve OFF. Depending on the Maker and Model of your refer, they have Baffle kits to stop or minimize blow outs in transit. Doug

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
There is a gas valve if the flame blow out the gas valve closes.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

teambeeson
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, this is probably really dumb sorry, but if, going down the road at highway speeds, the fridge burner goes out (crosswind gust or whatever)... is there a shutoff mechanism or is propane just spilling out the whole time. I'm leery of running the propane on the highway for hours on end and just run the DC, but that prevents the camp battery from topping off I'm noticing. Thx.

BCSierra
Explorer
Explorer
Add a stainless pot full of ice cubes to give a bit of help to the unit if it's struggling in really warm weather or just loaded with a bunch of warm drinks etc.
2001 GMC Sierra 2500 SLE Short Box 4 door Extra Cab
6.0 Vortec, 4L80E Auto Trans, 3.73 rear. 4X4. Timbrens, Rancho 9000's. Hidden Hitch front and Happijac rear tie downs. 1985 Frontier Camper.
Member/Editor of Victoria Motorcycle Club and ASHRAE

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I turn it on 2-3 days, maybe a week, ahead of time. I put a few bottles of frozen drinking water in the freezer section. Also put one of those little blue "D" cell battery powered fans on the bottom shelf to help circulate.
Try to put cool or already frozen items in it. Loading it up with warm food and expecting it to cool and freeze food usually don't work too good.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Normal, if you read the manual it may say it takes up to 24 hours to cool.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bearsfanatic85 wrote:
Ok Folks I have a question with regards to propane fridge operation, Recent trip up to the Tetons and waited to light my fridge until I got there, It took about 12 hours to get cool, Is this a normal amount of time?.

Actually.. A bit faster than many.. Yes 12 hours is good, Some take up to 24.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Agree, normal. In fact, 12 hours to cool down is pretty quick. I always fire ours up the day before we plan to put food in it.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Normal. You know what to do next time. BTW you saved no significant propane.

rjf7g
Explorer
Explorer
Yep - I fire mine up 2 days in advance of heading out and I put an outdoor thermometer in it and monitor the indoor display to make sure it is cooling. If all goes well, I load it with cold food the day before we pull out and then I can cut the gas off when we leave so I don't have to think about it when I fuel up, etc.
1999 American Cruiser Class B
2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS Park Trailer

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Definitely normal.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Wheelholder
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure the flame was higher, but running down the road will draw the heat out the vent on top and sometimes make them more efficient.
2008 Silverado crew cab Duramax/Allison
2008 Lance 830

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, that's a normal amount of time.
FWIW, they are designed to stay on 24/7 and while going down the road. Mine has been on 7 mos of every years since 2003 and so far I have staved off Armageddon. 😉