cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

propane grill safe distance?

TundraTower
Explorer
Explorer
One of my winter projects is to design and fabricate an arm to carry a small SST propane grill on the back of our travel trailer. This arm will fold down and pivot to enable using the grill without removing it from the mount.

The new grill instructions say to keep it 10 feet from a building and 10 inches from combustible surfaces. Frankly I don't quite know what to do with that information.

Does anyone know the required, safe, or recommended distance to maintain between the grill and the trailer???

Thanks.
2013 Tundra, 5.7FF, TRD, 4WD, tow pkg
2014 Forest River Cherokee 264
Prodigy II / Equalizer 10K
103 nights & 12,700 miles since April '13
40 REPLIES 40

TundraTower
Explorer
Explorer
Let's see, I replied back with my decision 17 posts ago, after the wood deck debate and a little before the Freedom Express business model discussion. I took the almost unanimous opinions seriously and am changing the project to just be a transporter for the grill and I'll take it off and use it somewhere else away from the trailer.

I think I stirred up a lot of frustrated campers that have cabin fever, but that's ok - I'm right there with you. We live in Alabama and planned to camp some after Christmas because winters are normally mild here, but it has only been above freezing 3 days in the last 10 or so and the 10 day forecast shows the same. When I'm not designing projects for the trailer I'm out scouting for more firewood!

Thanks again for your input.
2013 Tundra, 5.7FF, TRD, 4WD, tow pkg
2014 Forest River Cherokee 264
Prodigy II / Equalizer 10K
103 nights & 12,700 miles since April '13

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
TundraTower wrote:
One of my winter projects is to design and fabricate an arm to carry a small SST propane grill on the back of our travel trailer. This arm will fold down and pivot to enable using the grill without removing it from the mount.

The new grill instructions say to keep it 10 feet from a building and 10 inches from combustible surfaces. Frankly I don't quite know what to do with that information.

Does anyone know the required, safe, or recommended distance to maintain between the grill and the trailer???

Thanks.

Maybe we can get back to giving this person some more advice. My advice is to safely use a gas grill is to have a safe distance from anything combustible. I've seen some good flair-ups in gas grills that would have scared me had they been close to my TT.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

babock
Explorer
Explorer
I was told it was a cost issue since they weren't making enough profit off it. 2 slides are expensive.

The dealer I bought it from was disappointed they were stopping since he sold a zillion of them. Sold more of them than the 192rbs. Apparently people don't like the folding table in front of the couch concept.

It's a perfect length since you get the volume of a much longer trailer yet it's 24'11" and fits in the 25' spots you see a lot of in state and national parks.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
The reason yours doesn't offer this option is because it's a double slide trailer and the one on the campsite side makes it impractical to mount a pull out grill / stove.

babock wrote:
Yes, you are probably right. We looked at so many trailers you begin to lose track. Probably was a 192rbs that we saw it on before we crossed that trailer off our list.

No question, the 192RBS isn't for everyone but it has proven to be one of Coachmen's most popular Freedom Express models. :B It's unfortunate Coachmen has decided to discontinue your 233RBS model as it obviously appeals to some, just not enough I guess to continue with it. My guess it's because the double slides severely limit interior access when retracted in the travel position, which as mentioned also makes it impractical to mount a pull out grill or stove on the campsite side of the trailer.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

babock
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
The reason yours doesn't offer this option is because it's a double slide trailer and the one on the campsite side makes it impractical to mount a pull out grill / stove.
Yes, you are probably right. We looked at so many trailers you begin to lose track. Probably was a 192rbs that we saw it on before we crossed that trailer off our list.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
SaltiDawg wrote:
bucky wrote:
I am currently trying to figure out how to politely tell a brainiac SIL that their second story wooden deck is not the best place for the propane grill...

What say you about a elevated first floor deck?
I used my Weber propane grill on the top level of my 2 level deck for years. I'm not quite sure what makes this so dangerous. Now, I wouldn't put my fire pit on the deck - but a propane grill? :H

My TT came with a bumper mounted grill - it struggled to cook hot dogs. I took it off - tried to give it away. No takers.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Not true ... the outside Coleman stove is and always has been an option on most Freedom Express models, including the 192RBS.

babock wrote:
Not on ours which is the 233RBS.

I said "most" Freedom Express models ... for the 192RBS and many other FE models that pull out grill remains a dealer ordered option. The reason yours doesn't offer this option is because it's a double slide trailer and the one on the campsite side makes it impractical to mount a pull out grill / stove. Regardless, the 233RBS is now a "dealer stock only" model, meaning it's no longer produced and is being discontinued so your argument is moot anyway. ๐Ÿ˜‰

babock
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Not true ... the outside Coleman stove is and always has been an option on most Freedom Express models, including the 192RBS.
Not on ours which is the 233RBS.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The following is a joke....(just in case anyone is humor impaired)

But have you seen the commercial for the George Foreman Grill.. The one where "You don't need a turkey"

I'd say about 1 mile is a safe distance from The Gas Grill in that ad :).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
I see new Freedom Express trailers still come equipped with this dumb as rocks grill. :S :S

babock wrote:
Mine doesn't but the older models did.

Not true ... the outside Coleman stove is and always has been an option on most Freedom Express models, including the 192RBS. My own dealer always orders his lot models with the grill, this 2018 Freedom Express 192RBS being an example. I have no beef with the pull out concept, I use mine all the time with a stove, BUT Coachmen should supply a 2-burner stove not a grill that because it is a grill introduces greasy cooking smells into the camper. :M After all these years Coachmen either still hasn't figured this out OR the grill is a sales pitch to those who haven't given any real thought to how impractical a grill is in this location. :S The grill that came with my own 192RBS is still brand new, stored upstairs in one of the bedroom closets where it will remain 'til the day we sell or trade the camper. :W

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
SaltiDawg wrote:
So you think it is unlawful to have a grill on a wooden patio deck?

Do you or yours smoke?

Do you use a range with an exhaust hood?

Do you store gasoline or propane in the garage?

Do you have any firearms in the house?

There are literally dozens if not hundreds of other items that when introduced to a home create risk.

To extend concerns re a grill mounted on a motorhome to a grill on on brick and mortar home's wooden deck is a real reach. A risk, yes, but not changing your smoke detector batteries is also a risk.

I never said that is was unlawful, just unsafe.
We don't smoke.
No hood.
No gas or propane in the garage. Sheds are for that.
I'll never tell but NC is a shall issue state.
My grille is safely OFF of my deck. I guess you DC boys deep fry your Thanksgiving turkeys in your garage because there is a fire house nearby?
Your right to do whatever, have a nice day.:S
Puma 30RKSS

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
SaltiDawg wrote:
So you think it is unlawful to have a grill on a wooden patio deck?

Do you or yours smoke?

Do you use a range with an exhaust hood?

Do you store gasoline or propane in the garage?

Do you have any firearms in the house?

There are literally dozens if not hundreds of other items that when introduced to a home create risk.

To extend concerns re a grill mounted on a motorhome to a grill on on brick and mortar home's wooden deck is a real reach. A risk, yes, but not changing your smoke detector batteries is also a risk.

We can't eliminate the risk but we can manage it. What one does in their own home is their business and their risk.
However in public scenarios like CG's, hotels, condos etc. Where the liabilities of one's risky behavior can easily impact others lots of the activities you mentioned are prohibited/banned.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

babock
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
I see new Freedom Express trailers still come equipped with this dumb as rocks grill. :S :S
Mine doesn't but the older models did.

babock
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
I am currently trying to figure out how to politely tell a brainiac SIL that their second story wooden deck is not the best place for the propane grill. He really is a brainiac BTW. Sometimes engineers miss the obvious.
Myself and probably most of my 500 neighbors up in Lake Tahoe use a propane BBQ on second story wooden decks. Not an issue. In fact, the snow doesn't even melt on the wooden deck when I use my BBQ.

Sometimes Braniacs use their brains and realize it's totally safe.