cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane smell at furnace exhaust port

Katdaddy
Explorer II
Explorer II

I was winterizing my camper today. The low point drains are located near the furnace exhaust. When I went to turn on the drains I noticed a propane smell coming from the furnace exhaust port. Iโ€™ve never noticed that before. We never use the furnace, when we have power we use a space heater, when we dry camp I use a Big Buddy heater. Could I have a valve leaking and how do I check on this? 

Little by little, one travels far - J.R.R. Tolkien
There ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them. - Mark Twain
5 REPLIES 5

Katdaddy
Explorer II
Explorer II

I ordered a small propane detector and further looked into this. The propane was only detected in the exhaust port. There was no trace in the compartment, outside the furnace, or at any of the connections. I deduced it had to be the valve leaking. I replaced the valve and problem solved.  Thanks for your suggestions and help. 

There ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them. - Mark Twain

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

If you donโ€™t know how to diagnose a gas leak, take it to someone who does. 
Im more curious why you โ€œneverโ€ use the furnace though. Especially in favor of a buddy heater pumping moisture into the camper.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

First, I know how to diagnose a gas leak. Second, I donโ€™t use the furnace when dry camping because it drains the batteries. I was asking if anyone else had encountered this problem. I replaced the valve and the leak is gone. 
Thanks for your very helpful reply. 

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III

Mine was leaking where the copper line tied into the furnace.  And like mentioned above use a water solution with dishwashing liquid in it.....like a cup of water to 1 tablespoon of dishwashing liquid.  Low pressure leaks sometimes take a bit to present themselves thru the soapy solution, but if it's leaking it will appearn.

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Could be leaking gas valve or connection in furnace. You can use soap water to check for leaks. It is low pressure so hard to see bubbles at times.

Another location, if close to propane tank is a leaking regulator.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker