cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question about solar panel specs

Old_Islander
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if some of you folks who understand solar power, controllers, and the like would mind having a look at the following specs.

I'm going to get a 50 watt solar panel (& controller, etc.) for the roof of my truck camper to keep one 12 volt battery topped up at sites with no shore power. But I don't want to affix it up there permanently. I'll keep it inside and only deploy it, if and when required.

On Amazon, there is a flexible one, quite a bit lighter and easier to carry up the ladder, rather than a metal framed glass panel. I worry that with it, I'll lose performance; I don't understand the specs. Here they are:

Glass panel / metal frame -- approx. 10 pounds -- specs

Flexible panel -- approx. 3 pounds -- specs

The flexible panel is $20 more -- is it's performance vs the glass/metal panel significantly less? Any other concerns about the flex panel versus the glass/metal?

Thanks...
15 REPLIES 15

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I find it is not worth taking any solar when camping in the Island provincial parks. Trees.

We use the solar all year for camping other places that are more in the open. Still need some other charging source in winter even in the open, if staying more than a few days. (That's with 555W on the roof)
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Either should produce about 2.8 amps for a few hours when close to solar noon in Summer.
What else is there to understand?

Old_Islander
Explorer
Explorer
Some 'water under the bridge' since my last post on this. Have now wired up a 100 watt panel so it's easily plugged into my camper's electrical system, using this charge controller...

I've replaced my old battery, too.
Tried the new panel and controller at home with lots of sun, and it easily handled the camper's needs. Ran the furnace motor, pump, lights, etc, extensively through the day and evening, and the panel brought the battery up to full charge quickly and easily. I thought my problems were solved.
We just went away for five days and our spot was under a heavy forest canopy during really crappy weather. The best the panel could output in this spot, was 0.3 amps and the battery lost ground. The panel couldn't recharge the battery sufficiently. If I'd had two 100 watt panels, that would have been 0.6 amps, probably still not enough charging power. I didn't take the genny, so had to charge the battery with the truck.
So solar panels are great if you have enough exposure and sunlight to run them. If you don't, you still need an auxiliary charger of some kind.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s wrote:
KD4UPL wrote:
If the flexible one is an amorphous technology (and I'm pretty sure it is) then it's output will be less effected by shading.
Authoritative citation needed.

/www.quora.com/Which-solar-panel-is-best-for-a-partial-shade-condition

Well, as they say, Google it. The above is just one of many references to be found. I install solar systems for a living. I've personally installed several megawatts over the last 13 years. Every bit of information I've ever seen or read in the industry says that shading reduces the output of an amorphous panel to a lesser degree than a crystalline panel.

Old_Islander
Explorer
Explorer
Y'all have convinced me that a 50 watt panel wouldn't be enough. In the original post, I referenced a flexible 50 watt panel -- I've just noticed they have a 100 watt version as well.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07195WHHX/ref=twister_B07DLS826W?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&coliid=IE8RHK3NRYZGP...

It cites a working current (IMP) of 5.6 amps, and weighs approx. 4 pounds. I'm thinking this may be the one.

Old_Islander
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
This is the best deal around here for 12v, but only if you can pick it up yourself in Chemainus or Victoria. It would be awkward for the OP compared with the two 75s for how to stash it all while on the road. Same rope trick for getting it up and down though.

http://www.wegosolar.com/products.php?product=HES%252d160%252d36PV-Solar-Panel-160-Watt
That is a good deal, but it's just too large a panel for use with a slide-in TC. It's almost 30 lbs and 5 feet long.

Artsville
Explorer
Explorer
at least a 100W panel will top off grp 24, 27 usually with mostly sunny day. Did it over and over with my pop up.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is the best deal around here for 12v, but only if you can pick it up yourself in Chemainus or Victoria. It would be awkward for the OP compared with the two 75s for how to stash it all while on the road. Same rope trick for getting it up and down though.

http://www.wegosolar.com/products.php?product=HES%252d160%252d36PV-Solar-Panel-160-Watt
Photo in Profile

Old_Islander
Explorer
Explorer
That is all excellent advice -- many thanks to you all for taking time to pass it along...! Will have to make some decisions before the next trip.

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
If your not going mounting the panel permanently on the roof why not get a suitcase type of panel since that way if your in the woods with the sun blocked by trees you can still move the panel to the sun the panels don't have to be on the roof to work. We have a 100 watt renogy suitcase kit and it works well keeping the batteries topped off, 50 watts wont do a lot for you. the suitcase set up is around $200, well worth it for us and very portable and weights about 22 pounds.
Mike
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Fifty solar watts isnโ€™t worth your trouble. Solar is nearly โ€œinstall it and forget itโ€ unless you insist on โ€œI'll keep it inside and only deploy it, if and when required.โ€ Why keep it inside?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
If the flexible one is an amorphous technology (and I'm pretty sure it is) then it's output will be less effected by shading.
Authoritative citation needed.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Electrically they are pretty much identical. If the flexible one is an amorphous technology (and I'm pretty sure it is) then it's output will be less effected by shading. If you park under trees a lot this might matter.
I don't see you losing any power by going with the flexible one.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
50w isn't going to make much of a dent.

This will work much better and still small enough to be able to use it like you want. Grab it now before the sale ends!!!!

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/noma-75-watt-crystalline-solar-panel-0112033p.html#srp

Also get their $29 controller--It will do the job.

I used to put a rope to the frame of my panel and haul it up to the camper roof and lower it down with the rope. No need to go up the ladder with the panel in one hand ๐Ÿ™‚ (Clip onto frame mounting hole and rope through the clip)

In fact to make a useful amount, you could get two of those while on sale and have 150w. Just have to use the rope twice.
Photo in Profile