cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question on Hydraulic Fluid

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is there a certain type of hydraulic fluid used in RV's for landing gear and slides? I noticed a leak when we arrived at our campsite today. When I checked the container, it was under half full. I'm thinking I should add some. I do have an appointment at the dealer to look at some other things on Thursday, so I just need it to retract and pull slides in when we leave.
17 REPLIES 17

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
southernsky wrote:
Make sure all your hydraulics are retracted...slides in and leveling system is up. Then check level. Our Lippert system uses auto trans fluid.

X2 Makes a big difference in the level in the reservoir.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Interesting. AMZ/OIL is on their list. I used it right after delivery in 2015. Guess my recommendation is approved.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
OP, you have to check the level when everything is retracted.
Iโ€™ve never even seen camper hydraulics but Iโ€™m sure they work like any other. And half full tank with Rams extended sounds aboot right to me
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Wow, so much passion about camper hydraulicsโ€ฆ.lol.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Lippert recommendations:
Operation Conditions
1. Above Freezing
NOTE: Operation at air temperatures routinely above 0ยฐC (32ยฐF). * A. Dexron 3/Mercon ATF
B. Mercon 5 ATF
C. Dexron 6 ATF
D. PetroBlend (Mason City, IA) PHO 0022S (synthetic group 3 base blend)
E. Bellman all temp 22 (Bremen, IN)
F. Or any ATF or hydraulic fluid with a pour point lower than -42ยฐC (-45ยฐF).
*Covers most initial OEM fills 2. Below Freezing
NOTE: Operation at air temperatures routinely below 0ยฐC (32ยฐF).
A. Mobil 1 full synthetic ATF
B. Royal Purple full synthetic ATF
C. Valvoline full synthetic ATF
D. Amzoil full synthetic ATF
E. PetroBlend (Mason City, IA) PHO 0022S (synthetic group 3 base blend)
F. Bellman all temp 22 (Bremen, IN)
G. Or any ATF or hydraulic fluid with a pour point lower than -42ยฐC (-45ยฐF)
H. Multivis (all temperature) iso 22 hydraulic fluid
I. Or any ATF or hydraulic fluid (conventional or synthetic) with a pour point lower than -46ยฐC(-50ยฐF).
3. Extreme Cold
Or any conventional or synthetic ATF or hydraulic fluid with a pour point less than -57ยฐC (-70ยฐF) and viscosity less than 2850 cP @ -40ยฐC (-40ยฐF ).
Do not use ATF-TYPE F fluid as it will not allow the seals to work properly.
Contact us: Lippert Components Inc. -www.lci1.com/customerservice- Phone: (574) 537-8900 - Email:warranty@lci1.com
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
RHasse wrote:
ATF has a very distinctive odor, you should be able to recognize it pretty easily. if you aren't familiar with it, just check the transmission dipstick on your car. Take a wiff of that, that odor is very distinctive, hard to miss even if you have a bad sense of smell.

Also, this isn't a very demanding application, it's not like its a tractor digging or moving dirt all day long; it's not going to make a huge difference what you use. There is not a lot of danger in mixing common oils like this, the additive chemistry may not be a perfect match, but there shouldn't be a problem with negative reactions occurring if you added ATF into a system originally filled with anti-wear hydraulic oil, or vice versa. The important thing noted in a message above is DO NOT USE BRAKE FLUID!. Brake fluid is a particular type of fluid that if you added it into your leveling system it would damage the seals and you'd have to have the entire system rebuilt.

Both HWH and LCI state, that if you use the wrong Fluid, it will cause problems with the operation of the seals and/or leaks. Doug

RHasse
Explorer
Explorer
ATF has a very distinctive odor, you should be able to recognize it pretty easily. if you aren't familiar with it, just check the transmission dipstick on your car. Take a wiff of that, that odor is very distinctive, hard to miss even if you have a bad sense of smell.

Also, this isn't a very demanding application, it's not like its a tractor digging or moving dirt all day long; it's not going to make a huge difference what you use. There is not a lot of danger in mixing common oils like this, the additive chemistry may not be a perfect match, but there shouldn't be a problem with negative reactions occurring if you added ATF into a system originally filled with anti-wear hydraulic oil, or vice versa. The important thing noted in a message above is DO NOT USE BRAKE FLUID!. Brake fluid is a particular type of fluid that if you added it into your leveling system it would damage the seals and you'd have to have the entire system rebuilt.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
ChuckSteed wrote:
If the fluid in the Lippert level up is clear it is NOT transmission fluidโ€ฆ

It is AW32 hydraulic oil.. nit all Lippert level up systems come from factory with Red ATF.. it depends on the builder and what they use..

My 2014 Keystone Alpine has clear fluid and is most certainly AW32..

Here is LCI official list. I am NOT a Oil engineer or expert on HYD oils but I can read and follow directions. I am also a Master Certified RV Tech with factory training in both LCI/Powergear and HWH. In ALL training, they stated to use Dexron 3 and NEVER TO USE HYDRAULIC FLUID. I have worked on both HYD Jack and slide systems for 35 years. If this list shows AW32, please list which it is. CLEAR Transmission fluid is available from HWH. It IS Dexron 3 without the red dye. You cannot look at clear(gold) fluid and state it is NOT Transmission fluid. Doug

PS for very easy use, just use Dexron 3

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws.com/technical-information-sheets/leveling-and-stabilization/ccd...

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use AMZ/OIL Universal ATF in mine. No need for stiction fluid.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the replies. It's a 2015 Heartland cyclone 4150. The Landing gear is the Lippert/LCI system. I did not see any mention on the reservoir on what type of fluid, but it is a dark color and appears to be red on the leveling jack where the leak was noticed.

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
If the fluid in the Lippert level up is clear it is NOT transmission fluidโ€ฆ

It is AW32 hydraulic oil.. nit all Lippert level up systems come from factory with Red ATF.. it depends on the builder and what they use..

My 2014 Keystone Alpine has clear fluid and is most certainly AW32..

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Flute Man wrote:
For the slides a clear hydraulic fluid would be best in case it leaked inside the rig before the landing gear should not make much difference. Any good loyal label as hydraulic Would be fine.

WRONG!!!!!!!! ALL RV slides and Leveling Jack systems use Dexron 3 fluid. The clear Fluid (usually supplied by HWH) is Dexron 3 without the red dye. They can be mixed. Doug

From HWH FAQ.

What kind of fluid should I use in my system?

The use of HWH Specialty Hydraulic Oil is recommended but Dexron or multipurpose transmission fluids can be used if necessary. DO NOT use hydraulic jack oil, brake fluid, or power steering fluid.

From LCI/Powergear/

The following automatic transmission fluid (ATF) recommendations for use in Lippert Components, Inc. (LCI)
hydraulic systems are based upon hydraulic system operation in various environmental air temperatures.
1. Operation at air temperatures routinely above 0 ยฐC (32 ยฐF)โ€”above freezingโ€”which also covers most
initial OEM fills.
A. Dexronยฎ III/Merconยฎ ATF

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
First of all, it would help to know what make and model your RV is and who made the slide and leveling systems. That said, Lipper/LCI uses Dexron ATF in their hydraulic systems. When everything is extended, the reservoir should be less than half full - otherwise, it would overflow when everything is retracted. There should be full and low marks on the reservoir to go by. You may not have a problem at all. If you have a manual for your system, pull it out and look at it.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure all your hydraulics are retracted...slides in and leveling system is up. Then check level. Our Lippert system uses auto trans fluid.
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport