cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reasonably priced LiFePO4 Lithium batteries - quality?

DirtyKitty
Explorer
Explorer

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone has tested any of the LiFe P04 batteries that have shown up on the web and Amazon.

Cost for a 100ah is a good third of mainstream retail units. $300 CAD or so.

How reliable can they be for that kind of money. 5 to 10 year warranties to boot.

Ecoworthy and Power Queen are a couple of examples.

If they are legit, one could have 600ah of lithium in their unit for a couple of $K!

Has anyone played with them yet and done a decent load test?

11 REPLIES 11

naturist
Nomad
Nomad

There are at least two youtubers whose channels go about testing various solar components, lithium batteries in particular. Will Prowse is my favorite, at https://www.youtube.com/@WillProwse. His findings occasionally turn up well made LiFePO4 economy batteries, as well as stinkers among the low cost batteries. He tests them for output as well as tears them apart to examine components, and test internal thermal sensors. 

A good site for advice on LiFeP04

https://www.evlithium.com/Blog/lifepo4-battery-care-guide.html

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II

For those who have Li already:

https://www.uschemicalstorage.com/lithium-ion-battery-storage-requirements/

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II

Li are fine batteries. Don't use them if you intend camping in the cold. (-20 C). Make sure there is a good battery management system that will shut down charging in cold temperatures. If you want a recommendation for batteries that can do -40 feel free to send me a private message.

Regards, Don

little bit of misinformation, at -20 C you can still discharge most LiFePO4 batteries, Mine can be discharged down to -35C it is only charging you don't want to do if the battery itself is below 0C.   if they have a heat function in their BMS then temprature is no concern at all and if you mount them inside the living space then there is no concern either.  this is what I di, so I can go campin g at -20C and turn on the furncae and then once the interior of the camper is warm my batteries will be warm and I can turn on the solar power for charging.  would I intentionaly go camping at -20C .. no and 99% of the other people wouldnt either.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

If you can only discharge it isn't of much use now is it? Please go obfuscate some where else. The OP is from Canada and we get a LOT colder than -20 C. Lots of us use our RV's year round.

Regards, Don

Don, I am from Canada also.. I think I know about our climate.  and yes it is as I expained so please read the whole reply.  if you can discharge you can start your furnace and warm them up, or if you have heated batteries you can discharge to run the battery warmers to the point where you can start your charging systems.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer

Do a search on YouTube for "Will Prowse". He is considered an expert on solar and batteries. He likes Li Time LiFePO4 batteries a lot. They are available on Amazon.

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer

Do a search on YouTube for Will Prowse. He does extensive testing on batteries and solar. He really likes LiTime batteries. Check Amazon for pricing.

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III

I have bought a couple ecoworthy products (gardening) and after using them and seeing their quality I stay clear away from them, as for powerqueen I don't think Will Prouse has tested and deconstructed that one to see the quality of the insides.  there is another option that I believe he has don't and found it to be just like a Chins which used quality cells and BMS and was wired up nicely internaly and that is  Li Time a bit more expensive by 50 bucks right now.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Orcadrvr
Explorer
Explorer

There is a guy on you tube who has tested lithium batteries extensively. 

His name is will prowse, I believe.

He has scores of videos on the subject.